Planning out my first build, I have questions looking at a 16' Reefer Box NPR.

Hello Overlanders!

The time in life has come, I have dreamed of building out my own rig for year, and I've just secured financial means to purchase a rig. I have $10,000 to find a reliable Diesel NPR and a reefer box to start the build. I will plan on potentially upgrading the truck at a later date to a FG 4x4, but at the moment, budget does not allow. I just arrived back from a 12 month trip mostly hitch hiking through Asia and eastern Europe, and my savings are pretty low. Rent and inflation is somewhat an ongoing issue right now to save money, and I don't have any plans to buy a house. For that reason I want to stop pissing away money every month on rent and look at a more mobile means of housing. I also currently work at a company with a fabrication shop with full access to every tool I could ever dream of (Including a CNC Machine, I've already used it to make cabinets for my van). So if there ever was a time to build a tiny house, this is it.

I currently live in the frigid midwest, and rust is an active issue with all older vehicles. I have a 1990's AWD Astro van right now and the rust is noticeable. For that reason, I will most likely look to buy a rig someplace without snow, and drive it home. I am looking for a 16' box for the floorplan in question I am designing, as I want enough space for both a roomy and not cramped feeling living area, as well as storage space for multiple bikes, packout tool boxes, snap on tool chest, haul bags with highlining/climbing gear, and a bunch of other outdoor gear.

I am running into an issue on researching reefer boxes, I am fairly tall, and want my plan to have a partial raised floor section (for my water tank to be under the floor). I can't seem to find much of a standard in terms of height. From what I'm seeing, 7' is the standard height for interior reefer boxes, but I have seen some trucks for sale that have higher boxes? Are 8' interior height reefer boxes common? Really just looking for the perfect rig to start my build out process.

Thank you everyone.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If you are looking to have as much living space as possible, you might want to consider using a bed lift, opposed to having a fixed bed.
Lots of options, from cheaper DIY builds to quite expensive commercial setups.

gator70

I have some similar interests. Not all reefers are the same. They are insulated. The floor has I beams, and this is the true point of measurement.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
A friend, back in the day, did a reefer conversion, the interior walls were metal and that had issues.

While the box may be well insulated, they are designed to be a freezer box. His diy camper was painted inside, but in warm humid climates, like Louisianna, the walls would sweat with the AC.

If you have been around delivery trucks with reefers, you might notice iced formed on the inside walls. 1. they aren't really air tight, 2. it's running on freezer mode, 3. stops where door are opened allow outside air in, humid air freezes.

My advice is to stay away from metal interior walls. You'll probably pay more for a reefer box than the cost of properly insulating a box truck. I'd go with a box truck.

Magnetixx

In the past couple years there has been a change in California law making bigger diesel trucks impossible to register after a certain year and a corresponding increase in their availability in neighboring states. Here in Nevada I see Ca trucks cheap regularly. Might be worth checking Los Angeles or Bay Area classifieds and book a flight. Plenty of rust-free trucks being retired well before they are worn out.

Reactions: mog

gator70

I've seen many reefer box configurations. The experience he has might be true with one type. Many boxs are lined with FRP not metal. FRP does not behave like metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior