Plano 1919 Waterproof Storage Trunk

soonenough

Explorer
I was at WalMart last week and saw a few of these sitting on the shelf. It looks very similar to the Plano 1819 storage trunk, except 1) the lid now has an o-ring type seal all the way around, and 2) instead of the hinge on one side and 4 latches on the other 3 sides on the 1819, the 1919 has no hinge and 4 latches, so the lid comes completely off rather than hinging open. Like the 1819, it can be locked with a small padlock, it has wheels, and also has tie-down points integrated into the exterior. I guess it's primarily designed for hunters to keep clothing inside so that it would remain scent-free, but it seems like it would work well for general storage on the exterior of a vehicle. If it's like the 1819 in terms of sturdiness, I'd say it would probably work best for light-medium weight items. For some reason it's not on their website yet, but I found a good video showing it. The ones I saw at Walmart were dark green with black lids, rather than the camo-ish look of the one in the picture below. For $29, it seems like a decent storage option.

0002409919199_500X500.jpg

uscg2008

Explorer
got mine at walmart for $30 on sale, and I should have gotten 2 damn it

72e52c6ad184925c2d31329278d5a628_zps268c3d21.jpg

The black one on bottom is the same thing but without the o-ring. I use it on my deployments and they can take a beating and have a bunch of weight loaded into them and onto them.
4dd3f6ce767380c0c4572942c460d075_zps97cef548.jpg

d68800d0318fa0517d3ea2df62e8d00e_zpsbece9d14.jpg

eedb52a7f5bfb18241c10d2fc4626a93_zps15d6e63d.jpg

Woodsman

Adventurer
While I don't have experience with this specific box, my experiences with other boxes as well as Pelican and Boyt cases tell me this: This box will likely be perfectly weatherproof when stationary / setting in one place at camp. However, if you place it on a roof rack in the rain at highway speeds my money on "leaky". I've found that cased that lack latches all the way around the sides and ends will normally allow water to "seep" through the seal area into the box. Also, the less expensive boxes such as the plano are made of a softer plastic which, when you crank down on it with ratchet straps to keep it from flying away at highway speeds, will likely flex, warp or bow the plastic and reduce the effectiveness of that o-ring. Maybe not a big deal if you are just carrying camping gear but not desirable of you are stuffing clothing or sleeping bags into it.

Again, this is just general experience based on dealing with my own storage and rooftop transport trial and error. For home/garage gear storage, quick load-out for trips and storage at camp, I would say it would be excellent . . . especially for the price.

Northern Tool currently lists the 1819 at $29.99. It is also worth looking at the reviews on Northern Tool and Amazon for the 1819. I'm not sure if the box dimensions vary between the 1819 and 1919.

PS - gotta love the Made in the USA label

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
....the less expensive boxes such as the plano are made of a softer plastic which, when you crank down on it with ratchet straps to keep it from flying away at highway speeds, will likely flex, warp or bow the plastic and reduce the effectiveness of that o-ring.
That's a good point, I've never had mine strapped down while driving through rain. It would make sense that the thin plastic would distort from the force of a tight ratchet strap.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Went to Wally World and bought one today. It took them a while to find it in the back room. Apparently not a big seller according to the dept manager. He said they got the boxes in before Christmas, and still have them left. Of course, they are not on display, so may be hard to sell if customers can't see them. A new marketing strategy?
I'm really happy so far. One feature is it fits in the backmof my LJ with the soft rear window in place. Glad I do not have to move the window when it is cold. Will probably go back and get a second one.
I agree, light to medium weight stuff.

xjman88

Adventurer
I have a couple of these. One goes on my roof rack w all my recovery and trail repair gear. I have yet to find any moisture or water inside. So no complaints thus far.

MAD Duo

Observer
I had the old hinged type and after a few cold days I tried to release one of the front latches and the whole latch and a big chunk of plastic from the top lid broke off. Stated, "Well that sucks." Went to pop one of the side latches and same thing. Had to throw it away. If I remember right the temps were only in the teens. I should mention that it was in the bed of my truck for two years, so it may of been the plastic degrading from the heat/cold and then it finally gave way. Otherwise, I really liked it and it suited my needs.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have a couple of the similar ones in camo that are bigger with no seal. I use them on my roofrack and haven't had a big problem with very much water getting in them. A little but not much.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I have four of the older style ones with the full length "hinge" and latches on the remaining three sides. They get the job done, but lids do tend to sag with weight on top of them and the hinges come unclipped every third or fourth time. The latter is more annoying than anything else. Mine don't have the seal and have been weathertight in camp; they travel inside my rig 90% of the time. For the money I don't think you'll find anything better.

blazer296

Are those of you who have these still liking them?
A couple of friends and I have been wishing we grabbed them when Walmart had them.

The only place I can still find them is direct from Plano. Minimum order of $300 + 20% for shipping, which would be 9 units. If shipping stayed at 20% that would work out to $474 or $52.67 each. Almost twice the Walmart price, not sure if they are worth it.

Thanks,
Jim

Edit, could have sworn I've posted here before. Know I spend plenty of time reading here.

Last edited:

WUzombies

Adventurer
Are those of you who have these still liking them?
A couple of friends and I have been wishing we grabbed them when Walmart had them.

The only place I can still find them is direct from Plano. Minimum order of $300 + 20% for shipping, which would be 9 units. If shipping stayed at 20% that would work out to $474 or $52.67 each. Almost twice the Walmart price, not sure if they are worth it.

Thanks,
Jim

Edit, could have sworn I've posted here before. Know I spend plenty of time reading here.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-191900-Parent-1919-Sportsmans-Trunk/dp/B00HZ09ZV8

I have a couple of 1819s and 1919s. The 1919 is stiffer and doesn't deflect as much when you stack them, with that said they're still cheap containers. Even with the seal I don't put anything in them that I couldn't do without in camp for being wet. Sitting in camp even the 1819s keep stuff fairly dry when closed. Driving down the road with them on the roof it's hit or miss.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
When I dug out my 1819s to use earlier this year, I noticed one must have taken a pretty good hit. It has a nice little @ "3 crack by one of the wheels now. After some practice packing, I managed to get my bigger stuff in one (grill, fold up lu, etc.). I wish I would have figured that out earlier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998