plastic bed rail covers removal for flippac install

colotaco

Adventurer
Anybody have any info on whether or not the black bed rail covers on a 2010 tacoma should or should not be left on with a flippac? I removed them in anticipation of having my flippac installed. The installer told me over the phone today that they should remain because thats how FRP measures when they build the unit. I'm suspect because with the covers on the sides of the bed are at least 3/8" taller than the front and the tailgate. Thoughts, experiemce???

Harp

Adventurer
If you remove the plastic caps you will find they are not solid and do not support a lot of weight. mine started buckling from the day I put it on. That is why I asked some questions. They also scratch the top of rails with continued use. I removed mine and kept them for later use or sale. I never used sealer and just carefully placed thick rubber gasket on the whole perimeter. You will find the end of the bed close to the cab is shorter than the sides. I manufactured some sheet metal for on top of the bed rails to cover the holes so the gasket did not sink into the holes causing a gap. The flip pac itself will not fit to cover all the holes.
Best of luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger