Playpens, who's uses them, who doesn't?

KevX02

Observer
Our first is coming in November, My wife saw her sister use the play pen with both their kids and expects to use with ours.

My wife says it'll help keep the kids out of the dirt.

I bet we find that leaving it home will be okay because the limited space in the Xterra.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Nope no play pen for ours- eating leaves and dirt is good for the imune system

we use the RTT for napping and a peapod thing for the mosies......

real young yep the dog bed was her comfy play area !

Mine did the no crawl look I'm walking thing too, arround 1.2years ....she was too busy trying to talk than walk !

cmgraves

Observer
No playpen for us either. For me, the point of being outdoors is exploring, and letting the little ones run free. This does however can be challeging with setting up camp, relaxing and enjoying the camping for yourself. What works wonder is a sling or a back pack. This keeps the kid preoccupied way up high, and they can explore at a better angle. On top of that, you are able to have both your hands free. We did this extenisvely from 2 months old to 18 months old. She just turn 2 and wants to be on the ground exploring. For bed time, we all sleep in the back of the truck with a futon mattress. The wifey and DD sleep in a double sleeping bag, and I am in a single bag.

I love the dog bed idea!

racingjason

Adventurer
We have one that we use for a bed in the bottom of the conqueror. Nice to have a place for the baby to sleep and still off the ground.

We use one in our Conqueror for our son to sleep in as well and it works great. As with you Rob, I am not too worried about being called "white trash" for using one particularly when it keeps junior from eating broken shells and other peoples garbage while we try to set up camp on the beach in Baja. Now, if you wanted to call me "white trash" because my house used to have wheels under it...:victory:

In any case I think the people who call them play yards are just deluding themselves, it is a pen, get over it and dont get me started on the whole Sesame Street vs. Sesame Park thing!

My wife says it'll help keep the kids out of the dirt.

Dirt is good. A one peice rainsuit works a treat when the kids want to play in the dirt/mud. Wash the hands/face unzip the suit and voila one clean kid.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
We just let ours do what they want on the ground. Typically tell them 'don't go away' and they don't.

As long as you keep one eye on them, make sure they are not getting into anything dangerous, nothing more needs to be done.

We never have had our kids actually play in the pen. We just had one for sleeping in when we traveled.

Airmonger

Adventurer
We have been looking into something for our 14 month old. We wanted a place for the girl to be when we are setting up camp and can't keep an I on here but also use as a sleeper in the rtt (my wife is still afraid of the kids fall out of the tent, go figure.) I just ordered a peapod and well see how it goes, ill post a mini-review after we try it out. Wish I would have seen the go crib, may have been a better choice.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-PeaPod-Portable-Self-2dInflating-Travel/dp/B001HY40P4/ref=pd_cp_ba_0"]Here is the pea pod[/ame]

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
We just let ours do what they want on the ground. Typically tell them 'don't go away' and they don't.

How do you tell a 9 month old "don't go away"?

She just turn 2 and wants to be on the ground exploring.

Ours wants to be on the ground exploring now at 9 months already. Won't tollerate being held up for long periods of time.

cmgraves

Observer
You must have a busy BUSY bee. Ours was determine to be on the ground starting at the age of 14 months are so. but we parenting by letting her do what she wants within a safe reason. This means, one of us was on duty watching her, while the other setup camp, cooked, clean, etc.

Oddly, she did not liked to be held, but if she was in the sling, she was totally fine, and could stay in that for a hour at a time. But we prefer her playing and burning energy to help with sleeping. When the cats away the mice will play.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You must have a busy BUSY bee.

Yes, she is. She just likes to explore. She likes to check things out, and wants to play with her brother's toys constantly. She's not interested in baby toys. Luckily, she has a pretty good temperment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online