PLB (Personal locating beacon)

moabian

The best would probably be to also add a sat phone on long or dangerouse adventures. You can rent one by the week.

We've had a sat phone for years. It sucks. It's difficult to use and sometimes takes 15 minutes just to get a signal. I would not recommend them since it happens to be 2018 and there are now better alternatives. We will probably be getting rid of it soon. There are also several places online that rent satellite messengers, perhaps even PLBs, by the day or week.

The only involvement the military has with PLBs is that the signals are relayed from ground stations to a Mission Control Center in Maryland and then forwarded to the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC) at Tyndal Air Force Base on the gulf coast of Florida's panhandle (not Cape Canaveral or Houston). They then notify local authorities who handle the incident from that point.

The only advantages a PLB has over the other devices is simplicity and cost. If those are your only criteria for choosing a device, then by all means go with a PLB. Satellite messaging devices have countless advantages over PLBs...but they come at a cost. Personally, if I'm going to carry around a brick, I'd like it to be as functional as possible. Your McMurdo is only 2 ounces lighter than my inReach and the inReach Mini is 2 ounces lighter than your McMurdo. As I already said, with regards to reliability and service, there is absolutely no difference between a PLB or a satellite messaging device.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
That's good to know about the crappy sat phones. I was at the IBEX marine manufactures convention last week in Tampa and went briefly thru the Garman booth. Ray marine, lorannce yada yada was there. They have sat images on chart plotters, auto pilot that navigates around islands ect. They can even auto steer four 425hp outboards in different directions to move the boat sidways. They have an anchor button that coordinates with GPS to hold your boat in an exact spot despite wind, waves and current. The sand cars I run with in Glamis use lorance. They seem to be the go to company for the desert but offer the same kind of stuff Garman does. I wish started this thread befor I went and meet the manufactures because I wonder what similar marine technology and these texting locators use in common. I don't know if the high end marine electronics can text or uses the same comunication? It would only make sense if it did at least near shore. Does anybody know?

pluton

Adventurer
I've had an Inmarsat Isatphone Pro(1st gen) since about 2011. Still works fine, send texts and text-only emails as well as makes voice calls. I've never needed it for an emergency. At first the service was cheap enough to leave it activated all year (like $100 for 2 years), but they kept increasing the price over the years. Now, when I know I'm going to visit a remote area, I'll turn on the service by reloading minutes into the prepaid sim card that sits in the phone: $30 for 30 days, last I checked. If I was starting out now or if the satphone $$deal sours much further, I'd get an Inreach device.

gait

Explorer
We carry a mobile phone, a sat phone and a PLB in our vehicle. All have gps. They each have a different purpose and a different cost to me. On a 3 year long trip in a vehicle I installed a satellite tracker (pre-spot, reverse gps, to a google map).

I'm older than I used to be, and becoming more cautious with age.

When younger it was sufficient to provide my roughly intended route and if I was overdue by more than a few days someone raised the alarm. I've been late, but never late enough for an alarm.

Now, a rough route and every day update a map through mobile phone, or every couple of days a text with gps coordinates through sat phone that always starts "all ok".

That's the bit that has a bit of planning for possible disaster ... the worst case where the disaster stops all communication, including us being incapable.

The satphone has proven useful for "show stoppers". One was "can you send us a new drive shaft to ..." followed by a three day drive in accompanying vehicle to pick it up. Its also the first stop for "000" ("911" in some countries) or local rangers (you do carry their numbers don't you?).

Importantly (for me) the satphone also allows family to call (cost of a mobile call and free to me) with ********-chat or their emergencies .... that happened and we could judge whether to halt the trip.

My vehicle based trips tend to be more than a couple of months, and have sufficient planning that I can stop the satphone subscription when not in use and simply restart when required. A bit of a pain but I dislike paying for something that's not in use. I tried pre-paid, and made sure I could recharge through the phone. Now I pay for calls/texts - cost doesn't seem to matter when its the only form of communication.

Another approach I've seen, and experienced on a recent desert trip, was daily HF radio calls to check in. Australia has some vary tall aerials and monitoring. Interestingly when a recent sched was missed we resorted to sat phone for coordination of efforts and following vehicle tracks - fortunately a false alarm.

We refer to our daughter as our "remote area support coordinator". An interesting set of skills that requires some imagination and initiative. Capable of making decisions and taking actions on our behalf. A single point of contact. Nothing worse than being on hold on a satphone.

The PLB is last resort. For just the reasons mentioned. Its only one way. I'd really hate for the helicopter or ground party to turn up with the wrong equipment.

Not only is one way communication a problem for SAR its also a problem for me. Two way communication allows me to describe the situation, which means better quicker decisions, better more targeted response, and possibly faster response for that really immediate life threatening occasion I hope never happens.

The one-way tracker on our 3-year trip was useful for family and friends but also created a problem. It needed a bit of education to interpret whether we had stopped because we liked a place or stopped because we had a problem. No-one ever called emergency, but there was a bit of worry at times. I guess there's a different SAR approach for calls from a "site" or calls from "support". Calls from support have much more uncertainty, the less uncertainty the better for SAR.

Different devices, different purposes, and maybe someday someone will integrate them "properly" and cost effectively. I think Spot and Inreach are filling a gap which will be closed.

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
I’m involved with a lot of people that do serious backcountry activities and almost all of them have gone with the inreach. The ability to communicate your problem and needs to the responders has been shown to make a huge difference. The rescue group has a 100% chance of being properly outfitted and the response is tailored to the need. Nobody has had any problems that I’ve heard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman

Members online