Please bring to the US!

Frank

Explorer
We thoroughly enjoyed the 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré when we rode it last year (yeah..do the math on those numbers). Properly thrashing the machine through the outskirts of Sedona, Arizona, the big-displacement Super T is fun adventure-tourer that balances Japanese bang-for-the-buck economics with a robust feature set normally reserved only for European machines.

So it is hard to imagine how Yamaha could improve on an already fine motorcycle (we guess the tuning fork brand could give the Super Ténéré away for free), but the Japanese manufacturer did so with its Yamaha Super Ténéré Worldcrosser concept.

A more rugged and off-road oriented variant of the Super T, the 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré Worldcrosser seemed too-polished, and certainly too well received to avoid going into production, and sure enough, we have gotten word today that Yamaha has green-lit the Worldcrosser for production (we’ll take one in competition white, please).

Donned with protective covers, extra aluminum and carbon pieces, and of course knobby tires, the Yamaha Super Ténéré Worldcrosser is an imposing figure on the eyes. While we called the base Super Ténéré a motorcycle that leaned more to the on-road side of the adventure-touring equation, the Super Ténéré Worldcrosser seems to go the other way with its true-to-the-name raison d’être. Initially available in Europe starting March 2012, it’s not clear when/if the Worldcrosser will come to US soil (we’d be highly surprised if it didn’t though).

Starting MSRP in the EU will be €15,690, and for those that don’t find the 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré Worldcrosser to be a robust enough package, Yamaha is also offering the Yamaha Super Ténéré Worldcrosser R, which incorporates some select aftermarket Yamaha parts (namely a titanium Akrapovic exhaust can and even more carbon fiber goodness) at a 20% discounted price.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/yamaha-super-tenere-worldcrosser/

Yamaha-Super-Tenere-Worldcrosser-02-635x476.jpg

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Forget the SuperTenere. That TW will be my choice for the Zombie Apocolypse!

I have always had a sweet spot for the TW. But that one is pure, unadulterated, awesomeness.

ravenranger

+1 on the XTW! That rocks!

(for the price of the Worldcrosser, one could probably buy the XTW and then pay for their world trip with the money left-over!)

Frank

Explorer
I had a chance to sit on this bike today at the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago. It was a huge disappointment. I've read several raving articles comparing this to the KTM 990 ADV and big BMW bikes. This bike is a poser bike if you line it up to the KTM and BMW bikes. 2 huge turn offs quickly come to mind; ground clearance and the oil filter sits about 4" behind the front wheel. This bike need's A LOT to be 'round the world ready. A GS or 990 are out of the box ready to go bikes with panniers. The bike leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

I'll take my KLR over this bike any day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice looking bike. I really wish I was in a place to afford a big adventure bike, I would love to have something bigger than my current ride that is in that class.

More in my price range would be the conceptual XTW250, another Yamaha concept I've seen recently:

View attachment 76943

You can buy something very similar, today!

2155341060093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

While I don't recommend 17" wheels for offroad...they do make knobbies for them..

bike004yv3.jpg

Last edited:

fireflyr

Adventurer
DSC04101.jpg

Why don't they give us this? XT660Z Tenere. I don't want or need the Superduper 10, I want something that can actually handle offroad conditions. The Japanese companies aren't going to give us what we want and KTM discontinued the only bike I'd want from them: 640 Adventure. I'm so frustrated with what is being offered.

DSC06685.jpg

P1020856.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
have you concidered teh KTM 690? i have a buddy that has one and is in love with the bike. if you really want that "dakar" look of the older 640 or the new 990 you can buy a tank and fender kit for the 690 that gives you that. they are great bikes, have a tune on the fly nob for the engine (with build in jack *** mode heheheh) and are pretty good on tight trails, not to mention gobs of power to back it up

Just to make sure I have this straight...the Worldcrosser is simply a super10 with some different stickers, a couple of meaningless carbon bits, and knobbies... essentially "BNG", right?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Do we really need...

...another overweight, overpriced "adventure" bike that will never see dirt?

I think the "adventure bike" category has become the 2 wheeled equivalent of the SUV/CUV, and not in a good way. ;)

What I mean is that in the same way SUVs/Crossovers have replaced station wagons because SUVs look hip and rugged and "adventurous" (even though the only 'adventure' most crossovers will ever do is a run to Home Depot) whereas Station Wagons are seen as old and stodgy and boring, so-called "adventure motorcycles" seem to be replacing big touring bikes among people who just like to go long distances on pavement.

The high clearance and semi-knobby tires of the "adventure bike" are more for appearance than for use. An unwieldy 600+lb pig of a motorcycle isn't going to go very far 'off road', at least not unless the rider is really experienced and/or is a glutton for punishment and suffering. But hey, at least it's not a stodgy "old man" bike like a Gold Wing, right? :rolleyes:

(Of course, if you already have that Gold Wing and still need "the look", you could always turn it into the ultimate "Adventure Bike:" The XR1500R!

HondaXR_1500R_3.jpg
)

Now in the same way that SUVs morphed into Crossovers (i.e., retaining the appearance of a rugged off-road vehicle while keeping none of the actual capability), it seems that manufacturers are applying the same formula to their touring bikes: Make them look like a rough, tough "adventurer" but under the skin it's really just an oversized, road-bound touring bike.

I think BMW had the right idea with the old R80GS (800cc) 30 years ago, but as time has gone by, that bike has only gotten bigger, heavier and less capable off-road.

From what I've seen on the trails around here, you rarely see an "adventure bike" on anything more rugged than a well-graded dirt road. You see a ton of 1 cylinder dual/sports all the way up to 650cc, but that's about the biggest 2 wheeler you'll see on anything with rocks or ruts. Most of the bikes riding on dirt are in the 250-450cc range, which makes sense given their weight. I sure as hell wouldn't want to wrestle one of the behemoth bikes over a rough pass. Hell, I don't even take my Scrambler off road because at 450#, I think it's too heavy (it's also too nice to get scratched or dented.)

I'll agree with those who say I'd rather see Yamaha bring over the XTW-250 than the Tenere. Hell, I'd be happy if they just sold the parts to convert a vanilla TW-200 into a clone of the XTW, as I think that would be about the perfect all-around "adventure" bike for me.

Cody1771

Explorer
The high clearance and semi-knobby tires of the "adventure bike" are more for appearance than for use. An unwieldy 600+lb pig of a motorcycle isn't going to go very far 'off road', at least not unless the rider is really experienced and/or is a glutton for punishment and suffering. But hey, at least it's not a stodgy "old man" bike like a Gold Wing, right?

you really obviously havnt seen what some people are capable of doing with these bikes, i personally know someone who can throw a 1200gsa around like a dirtbike and do things with it that i wouldnt do on any bike let alone a 600lb beast. they are quite capable off road, you just need to know what your doing and realize that putting your foot down to stop a fall will likely end up in pain.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The high clearance and semi-knobby tires of the "adventure bike" are more for appearance than for use. An unwieldy 600+lb pig of a motorcycle isn't going to go very far 'off road', at least not unless the rider is really experienced and/or is a glutton for punishment and suffering. But hey, at least it's not a stodgy "old man" bike like a Gold Wing, right?

you really obviously havnt seen what some people are capable of doing with these bikes, i personally know someone who can throw a 1200gsa around like a dirtbike and do things with it that i wouldnt do on any bike let alone a 600lb beast. they are quite capable off road, you just need to know what your doing and realize that putting your foot down to stop a fall will likely end up in pain.

;)

trailsurfer

Explorer
...another overweight, overpriced "adventure" bike that will never see dirt?

I think the "adventure bike" category has become the 2 wheeled equivalent of the SUV/CUV, and not in a good way. ;)

What I mean is that in the same way SUVs/Crossovers have replaced station wagons because SUVs look hip and rugged and "adventurous" (even though the only 'adventure' most crossovers will ever do is a run to Home Depot) whereas Station Wagons are seen as old and stodgy and boring, so-called "adventure motorcycles" seem to be replacing big touring bikes among people who just like to go long distances on pavement.

The high clearance and semi-knobby tires of the "adventure bike" are more for appearance than for use. An unwieldy 600+lb pig of a motorcycle isn't going to go very far 'off road', at least not unless the rider is really experienced and/or is a glutton for punishment and suffering. But hey, at least it's not a stodgy "old man" bike like a Gold Wing, right? :rolleyes:

(Of course, if you already have that Gold Wing and still need "the look", you could always turn it into the ultimate "Adventure Bike:" The XR1500R!

HondaXR_1500R_3.jpg
)

Now in the same way that SUVs morphed into Crossovers (i.e., retaining the appearance of a rugged off-road vehicle while keeping none of the actual capability), it seems that manufacturers are applying the same formula to their touring bikes: Make them look like a rough, tough "adventurer" but under the skin it's really just an oversized, road-bound touring bike.

I think BMW had the right idea with the old R80GS (800cc) 30 years ago, but as time has gone by, that bike has only gotten bigger, heavier and less capable off-road.

From what I've seen on the trails around here, you rarely see an "adventure bike" on anything more rugged than a well-graded dirt road. You see a ton of 1 cylinder dual/sports all the way up to 650cc, but that's about the biggest 2 wheeler you'll see on anything with rocks or ruts. Most of the bikes riding on dirt are in the 250-450cc range, which makes sense given their weight. I sure as hell wouldn't want to wrestle one of the behemoth bikes over a rough pass. Hell, I don't even take my Scrambler off road because at 450#, I think it's too heavy (it's also too nice to get scratched or dented.)

I'll agree with those who say I'd rather see Yamaha bring over the XTW-250 than the Tenere. Hell, I'd be happy if they just sold the parts to convert a vanilla TW-200 into a clone of the XTW, as I think that would be about the perfect all-around "adventure" bike for me.

Come visit me in Durango and I will be happy to show you what a GSA can do off road. I am not the best rider, but with a little practice and training you can ride single track and the most difficult 4x4 roads around here. I would love to host a get together for a few days and go explore the San Juans. I have gotten to know the trails and roads around here quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online