Please convince me to buy

WantedWolf

WantedWolf, Sounds to me , you've already talked yourself into one. That's a long list of questions. Just remember I haven't driven or worked on an FG140 yet, but everything points to them being far more capable in many respects than the older models we are used too.

Thank you very much sir. I appreciate the time you spent replying that is all helpfull.

I do really really want one. But at this time and the FG's price I can only afford one truck right now, so it needs to be the right one. I would pass up an FG this time around if I have to but I wont forget them. I will be test driving a new 09 dodge/chevy/ford next week to compare to the 08's and mine. The FG dealer is willing to trailer a new one 400km for me to test also but I cant arange a model ready to tow for a test (to bad).

I will update and keep the tips coming.

WantedWolfSheep

WantedWolf

"I will be hauling a tractors, hay, trucks, you name it."
"I have yet to carry 25000# with my dodge."
"I would most frequently haul my tractor or bobcat. "

WantedWolf, when you say "haul" or "carry" you really mean "tow," right?

Chip Haven

Yes tow is more accurate

block

WW,
1st post for me as well...

I seriously considered an FG-140 for exactly the same work you describe. In the end, I bought a dodge 3500 6.7L for the extra towing capacity.
I wish that I had bought the FG instead. 48,000 km and the DPF problems, stuck injectors, leaking axle seals, slipping clutch, unexplained stalling, and less than stellar fuel consumption have left a sour taste in my mouth.

However, the salesman I talked to continually warned me that if I wanted a truck to tow with, not to buy the FG.
If you don't mind dealing in Sask. talk to Paul Huber at the Canada West Truck Centre in Saskatoon. He has probably sold more FG's in western Canada than anyone else.

I am rebuilding my 93 Dodge W350 to use after I sell this 2007 beast. I might look for an FG as well, but it will have to be a pre-DPF model and running big singles to get me to buy.

Block

2007 Dodge 3500 C+C 6.7L ISB, 6sp manual, 4x4, Falcan multi-deck, 285/70r19.5 Yoko singles, 16.5 warn front and back
1991 TLC 3FE POWAH!, ARB, 255/85r16 M-55, 400,000+ mi and still going strong, hauls the kids on a 75 mi gravel road round trip to town daily

WantedWolf

Good to meet you Block.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear your dodge sucks too.

Yeah this is looking like another reason to hate math. I feel like I dont have any more options. I cant Import an oddball and risk not not having parts. I need to tow more than 3 hay bales, I guess the guys that tow bobcats and backhoes have shorter lighter trailers then mine. And I am despising the new big 3 more each day. The Duramax Is impressing me most with its torque figures, and 17-18mpg (empty) is average for my buddys 06 2500. The only good thing I can say about my 01 ram 24v is the Fuel economy. I average 26mpg(empty).

But I doubt youve heard the last of me.

WantedWolf

BTW Block is your 07 a 4x4?

And if yes how is it in the snow? towing or not.
Im assuming you get snow because you know what
saskatchewan is. :sombrero:

What style of trailer are you pulling?

block

Wolf,

Yes it is a 4x4

Snow...I have 16.5ti warn winches front and back for a reason...
Once I got rid of the duals and switched to singles, it made quite a difference, but I still get stuck almost daily in the winter. You would have to actually witness what I have to drive through to realize I'm not just a bad driver...
I pull a 24' Trailtech tandem single 5th wheel flatdeck, a 35' Precision tandem dually 5th wheel flatdeck, and a 32' gooseneck stock-trailer. When the 6.7 runs, it does a fantastic job of pulling them

Back to the FG, I wouldn't run one without singles because of all the offroad miles I drive, and I haven't seen any NA spec single wheels to fit one yet.

kerry;331399 Cooling system seems pretty robust to me although I believe Doug Hackney who is pulling quite a heavy load has written that steep grades can tax his cooling system.[/QUOTE said:
Doug Hackney is right. When loaded to the maximum, the engine cooling system of the Fuso FG gets a hard time. I remember doing not even very steep roads that were going up for several miles with a strong headwind. The engine would overheat. The gauge got in the red. However, Kearny Mesa, the Fuso dealer from San Diego, explained that the sensor was mounted on a painted part of the engine. A mistake in Japan. Mechanics of Kearny Mesa took off the sensor, scratched the paint away, put the sensor back and as of then the engine never overheated anymore....

WantedWolf

Okay guys, If I bought a 91 4.2l N/A what would I miss in the turbo. I love the drive of my other turbos so any ideas the price of an aftermarket or stock compatible turbo? Difficult to install for any reason?

It would likely be driven often, in very cold and very hot climates, on 90% flat often winding roads. average drive of apx 300km. And im already dreaming of a snow plow and roll cage.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Wantedwolf, I might have a pic somewhere if I can find it of a 4.2 litre bus we built showing the engine with an aftermarket turbo fitted. We used to do quite a few of these in the old days before the 3.9litre turbos. There is a performance turbo workshop not far from us here and one of their specialties was fitting turbos to the older FG's. They even have their own cast manifold and the turbo they fit is larger than the original one fitted to the FG649's. If you were really serious they might even send you one as a kit. PM me if want details. Not saying they will, but surely you could follow it up if you end up buying one.

I have driven one of these on the beach to Fraser Island with about 18 people on board so it would have been close enough to maximum GVM and it did it very easily. It had the bigger XZL tyres though which IMO improve the performance too cause you arrive at a 100kph at a stronger part of the torque curve and lower RPM so there is still something in reserve. If I was doing this I'd fit an intercooler from a 649 which would bolt straight in and be of even more benefit.

As for fitting a bigger engine , there are a lot of ways to get more power from an FG that won't sacrifice engine life before you repower. You'd be breaking new ground if you did. One of our guys who works here had a Jeep performance business in New Zealand. He used to fit FG transfer cases with Toyota quad cam V8 Lexus engines and gearboxs into CJ jeeps and made his own adaptors for this. Don't know why I brought that up, only to say that anything is possible. Thing is thhat the FG engines are one of the best features about them. Once you get them to breathe a bit easier you'd be suprised what they'll serve up (if more is really what you need anyway) .

WantedWolf

Hi whatcharterboat

Thanks for the post I followed your "What we do at work." link and I see a small issue with the commute but ARE YOU HIRING??:drool: I love fab stuff and that looks too fun for work. May I also mention that all you AUS boys have been a large influence in my vehical preferences. I might have mentioned it already but my friend recently returned from and AG exchange program in AUS. 3 Workers and 1 Hilux pickup for 45000acres if that doesnt say it all. I keep my feet on canadian soil but if I ever leave I hope its down under. Ill likely pm you. I would love to see the pic of the AM turbo install.

This has been the most helpfull site Iv found on FG's. Any other goldmines anyone can recomend?

Tree

Adventurer
Hi whatcharterboat

Thanks for the post I followed your "What we do at work." link and I see a small issue with the commute but ARE YOU HIRING??:drool: I love fab stuff and that looks too fun for work. May I also mention that all you AUS boys have been a large influence in my vehical preferences. I might have mentioned it already but my friend recently returned from and AG exchange program in AUS. 3 Workers and 1 Hilux pickup for 45000acres if that doesnt say it all. I keep my feet on canadian soil but if I ever leave I hope its down under. Ill likely pm you. I would love to see the pic of the AM turbo install.

This has been the most helpfull site Iv found on FG's. Any other goldmines anyone can recomend?

Nah this is the best you can get

Tree

Adventurer
Hey wolf did you purchase an FG yet?

I just wanted to give you some information about our fg's hauling capabilities. We went to pick up our new bobcat and the whole drive their I was thinking How is the truck going to take it. We loaded up the bobcat and too my suprise the truck didnt sag at all. The bobcat weighs about 6000 lbs and trailer is 4000 lbs. It didnt end their either a snow blower attachment and 2 buckets were put on the flat deck. I would guess about 1500 lbs. So im happy the truck looks fine but worried about how the engine going to handle it. Gear 1 was effortless felt like their was nothing behind me. Gear 2 and 3 were great as well. I get on the highway and hit gear 4. Holy ****! I never noticed how long gear 4 is. Im not sure the speed I shifted i think it was 40-50 ish and finally I was able to shift around 85. It was a windy day and I was against it so that plays a part. Fuso should of put a 6th gear and shortened that gap between 4 and 5 but other than that the truck was effortless.

Ours is an 07 swb. You live in alberta and im here in saskatoon saskatchewan so I think our areas are pretty similiar. The fg would really suit your needs. We do similiar hauling as you and the fg is great! You also mention hills... their is none here lol so I cant help you out in that department but if you have any other questions just ask.

WantedWolf

hey thanks alot tree, Its nice to hear theres some hope.
Nope I havent bought an FG YET. I put it out of my mind for towing but I can find many other uses for one so im still looking.

Where did all the hills go in Saskatchewan? LOL I always try to sleep through it on the drive east.:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle