Please show me roads TC's should not go on, and roads ok for TC's (hard side and popup style TC's)

84FLH

Resuming my research for possible full time TC living in 2-3 years. I'll be 70 when I start. Kinda late but 'tis what 'tis. Keep in mind I've never owned a TC or any other camper before, except a backpack. I have very limited off road/off camber/"whoop-dee-doo" experience with a Bronco in the mid 90's and a CJ in the 80's. I carefully chose my lines, would walk the trail if needed, went slow as a crawl when necessary, aired down if I thought was needed. Never crashed, rolled, or got stuck.

From what I read, I want the most payload I can afford. From what I've read, early to mid 2000 F350 (gas) has GVWR around 10,000 lbs. Not sure what the truck itself weighs, but I'm guessing payload is around minimum 3,500 lbs to max around 4,000 lbs.

I love the classic look of OBS Fords but from all I read, their GVWR is 8800 lbs. Assuming the truck itself is around 6100-6400 lbs, that leaves around 2400-2700 lbs payload, maybe enough for a FWC but even then, 2400-2700 lbs payload doesn't seem like much to this noob.

So the plan (hope?) is for a full size truck with 3,500-4,000 lbs payload.

My two criteria for choosing either HS or popup (PU) seem mutually exclusive. On one hand I want to travel to somewhat remote locations where I won't run into other people. I say "somewhat remote" because at my age I won't want white knuckle driving and I'll be a 70 year old newbie!

On the other hand, I want the comfort of an indoor shower, a decent sitting/lounging area, comfy bed, decent kitchen (more than a Coleman 2 burner and 2 cf 'fridge). In other words, the comfort of a HS camper.

Even the smaller HS campers seem very, very tall to me. Having never driven one before, I've no idea how much they can lean/tip before they fall over. And no idea what back country roads/trails they're suited for. And not suited for.

I'm hoping the experienced community here can post pictures of roads/trails best suited for HS and not suited for HS. Also post pictures of roads/trails suitable/unsuitable for PU campers.

Black Bear Pass (CO) is gorgeous scenery but looks hairy and scary even for the jeeps. Is this a road unsuitable for even a Tacoma/FWC setup, or is that even too big? Not that I'd want a Tacoma/FWC setup, because for me it'd be too small for full time of up to one year.

Thanks for your replies.

84FLH

On second thought, it seems BBP is nothing a popup TC should go on. At least not for me. Waaay too much work and worry for myself. I'd rather walk it!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
There's a recent video of a Toyota 4Runner rolling over on Black Bear Pass on an off-camber section. Would you really want to take a pickup/camper combo, tall and has all that weight up high, through there? Not me!

I bought a dually to haul my camper - and that's for very mild off-camber situations. All that weight up high on a single rear wheel truck scared me even in those mild off-camber sections. Truck/camper combos need to be kept on fairly level roads.

84FLH

There's a recent video of a Toyota 4Runner rolling over on Black Bear Pass on an off-camber section. Would you really want to take a pickup/camper combo, tall and has all that weight up high, through there? Not me!

I bought a dually to haul my camper - and that's for very mild off-camber situations. All that weight up high on a single rear wheel truck scared me even in those mild off-camber sections. Truck/camper combos need to be kept on fairly level roads.
I realized after watching all of the BBP video (the one I posted) that it's not suitable for a HS TC. Probably not popup TC, either. And in fact, at my age I'm not sure how enjoyable it'd be. My years of thrills and spills are much behind me.

If I were younger, and a very experienced trail driver, BBP might be something I'd want to do. Not so much now.

Just trying to get an idea of how far in the boonies I can take a HS TC. Same for a popup (PU) TC.

If anyone knows the limits of each, it's people on this forum.

84FLH

ExpoMike;

Yikes! Thanks for posting. I've driven stuff like that 30 years ago (or was it more?) with an old CJ with nothing but bigger tires (don't recall exact) without issue.

I'd be nervous driving it with my house on the back of my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior