Pleasure-Way Excel TS

zip

I prefer social distancing.
This appears to be my next, and hopefully last vehicle I buy.
I love what UJOR has done with these vehicles, and I would like them to do the conversion.
They have done OX rear lockers, with manual engagement.
They don’t recommend front locker.
Looking for constructive input on manual versus air locker, and front locker.
Thanks for the benefit of the infinite wisdom and guidance of the group.

zip

Ujoint does offer lockers for the front axles. https://www.ujointoffroad.com/product/dana-60-stage-2/
Did they suggest a front locker wouldn't be a good choice for your specific build? If so they probably have good reason. I doubt there's anyone that has done more Econoline 4x4 conversions than Chris.
Iggi,
When I inquired, I was told it could be done, but not recommended. I believe the reason was that there could be the possibility for severe damage to the drive train in certain situations.
I didn't question their recommendation, because I feel they are the best at what they do.
Thanks for your input.

iggi

Ian
Interesting that they'd make that recommendation. There's plenty of much heavier rigs with full locking differentials. I plan to put a Dana TrueTrac or similar in the front axle of mine when I get around to the 4x4 conversion.

zip

Interesting that they'd make that recommendation. There's plenty of much heavier rigs with full locking differentials. I plan to put a Dana TrueTrac or similar in the front axle of mine when I get around to the 4x4 conversion.
I think there was a concern on a hard packed surface, with a tight turn, something could break?

iggi

Ian
I think there was a concern on a hard packed surface, with a tight turn, something could break?
Absolutely. Locking diffs require wide awake driving. However, the TrueTrac is a limited slip, not a locker. That being said, I doubt you'd want to drive that PleasureWay anywhere that you'd actually need a front locker.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We don't like the OX lockers up front because of the diff cover clearance to the tie rod. Restricts the steering and the cable routing is hard to do cleanly. E lockers (what we've done in the past) have had some quality issues recently so that's a good enough reason to avoid them. For the rear we like the mechanical OX lever but would run air if that's what you prefer just haven't done it yet.

Had too many issues with ARBs leaking internally so we stopped offering them. The OX air option is external to the locker, much simpler.

I like the true trac because its an aggressive L/S and will get the van out of any situation you're brave enough to put a 4x4 van in. Some guys insist on having a front locker, I prefer a full time or selectable in the rear and a good L/S up front. No steering wheel fight, both tires are getting traction, the L/S acts as the fuse in the F axle in case of different wheel speeds, not the axle shafts.

Hope this helps explain!

zip

We don't like the OX lockers up front because of the diff cover clearance to the tie rod. Restricts the steering and the cable routing is hard to do cleanly. E lockers (what we've done in the past) have had some quality issues recently so that's a good enough reason to avoid them. For the rear we like the mechanical OX lever but would run air if that's what you prefer just haven't done it yet.

Had too many issues with ARBs leaking internally so we stopped offering them. The OX air option is external to the locker, much simpler.

I like the true trac because its an aggressive L/S and will get the van out of any situation you're brave enough to put a 4x4 van in. Some guys insist on having a front locker, I prefer a full time or selectable in the rear and a good L/S up front. No steering wheel fight, both tires are getting traction, the L/S acts as the fuse in the F axle in case of different wheel speeds, not the axle shafts.

Hope this helps explain!

And that’s why you are the best!
Thanks.

b. rock

Looks like you have a RoadTrek Express 190 now. Why not go with the 210 version? Same idea as the PW Ford platform, but can keep IFS for a better ride

zip

Looks like you have a RoadTrek Express 190 now. Why not go with the 210 version? Same idea as the PW Ford platform, but can keep IFS for a better ride
BR,
Great question. I love the layout of my van, and don't really need the larger sized 210.
The biggest difference for me between a camper van on the C3500 versus the E350 is the ground clearance.
My primary off road use is just driving down rutted out roads to get to camping areas. No serious 4 wheeling.
I believe I have the highest ground clearance I can get with my Weldtec lift, and even with very careful driving I still drag once in awhile. There is a bunch of RV type stuff hanging. underneath.
The E350 with the straight front axle will give me a few inches more of ground clearance.
Regarding ride quality between IFS and straight axle, I feel UJOR is the best at what they do, and that the ride quality will be excellent.
Thanks for your input.

b. rock

Not sure I follow as the 210 and the PW Excel are the same size. Source: I own an Excel TS already. I have talked to Timberline a few times in the past given my proximity to them and they have a 5" option for the Chevys, and they like the Chevys for the ride vs anything solid axle, just with limited articulation and capability off road, which sounds like it's not a problem for your use case. IIRC Weldtech also has a 5" option.

I've dragged hitch in stock form in parking lots...the rear overhang on the Ford Excel is no joke and is something to contend with. But it does come with the shorter wheelbase vs the Chevy, which can be handy around town. Hard to say which one would be overall more useful. Although the Chevy 6.0 V8 w/ 6 spd probably does a pinch better on gas than the Ford 6.8 V10. Wouldn't even think of one with the 5.4 V8. Anyway, just thought I'd chime in as I imagine there aren't many other PW owners around these parts and I've driven mine a fair amount already weighing options before going in on a conversion. Good luck and have fun whichever way you end up going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears