Pneumatic clutch assistance.

Neil

Observer
Following on from the recent Auto transmission thread and comments made by Diplostrat.

I came across a unimog that had a pneumatic clutch assist device fitted inline between master and slave cylinder.
It made the clutch operation as light as a feather, I could push the pedal down with my hand.

After a days drive in mountains or traffic my left knee knows about it.

My question is , has anyone fitted one of these after market devices and how difficult was it or knows anything about them or can recommend a brand. Ours is a MB 1017a with 8 bar air presdure but I think they will be universal.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Neil

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Niel. I'd be looking to see if the clutch save cylinder on a 1222a is interchangable with yours... Mine has a 6 speed box in it, and the clutch slave cylinder is air assisted. Clutch won't go down until the air pressure is up, but once at pressure, it is very light (car light). I'll have a look tonight and see if I can see a part number. I'll also take a pic to see if it resembles location and bolt pattern of yours... :)

Neil

Observer
Simon, thanks.

I see several aftermarket kits but didn't think of swapping the cylinder over. It's a good option.

Neil

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Still trying to figure the EPC out but it looks like it might have been an option for our truck with the OM366LA (the EPC shows you a picture but if it was not installed will not give you the part number). Have you checked the EPC to see if it was an option for your truck?

Neil

Observer
Why not "float" the gears?

Not sure what you mean. If you mean clutchless changes then this isn't practical or possible in most conditions

Jon, I currently don't have EPC.

If you do then maybe you could have wuicknpeak for me cause I know your not busy. Lol.

WDB38011315418690

Thanks

Neil

D

Deleted member 9101

Not sure what you mean. If you mean clutchless changes then this isn't practical or possible in most conditions

Truck drivers all over the globe do it...lol. Its how a class 8 truck get a million miles out of a clutch ;-)

Neil

Observer
On a flàtish highway, no problem. Climbing up and down the Andes when your truck has only 30 % power is a different matter. I doubt they do the hundreds of clutchless changes here.

I will bear it in mind though

Thanks

Neil

Neil

Observer
Neil, you can take some of the spring pressure off at the pedal.

Joe. I have looked at this and will probably try it.

However, there are two strong springs mounted on the top of the pedal.

When the pedal is pushed to the floor the springs compress to about just over half way, then they re expand for the last bit of movement.

In essence the create pedal pressure and then assistance so I am not sure what the result will be but I might try it

It's all got to be better than a new knee .

Thanks

Neil

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

On a flàtish highway, no problem. Climbing up and down the Andes when your truck has only 30 % power is a different matter. I doubt they do the hundreds of clutchless changes here.

I will bear it in mind though

Thanks

Neil

I did it at 11,000 foot elevation and weighing 96,000 pounds. I can do it in my brothers twin stick Mack from the 50s.

Once you learn how to do it, you will realize why professional drivers only use the clutch to stop and start.

Neil

Observer
I bow to your relatively low altitude skills.

Clearly, I am a mere amateur in comparison.

But I don't think it would be practical or possible in lots of my circumstances in my truck.

Do you have any info on a pneumatic clutch assist for the slave cylinder, which is what I was looking for.

Neil

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I bow to your relatively low altitude skills.

Clearly, I am a mere amateur in comparison.

But I don't think it would be practical or possible in lots of my circumstances in my truck.

Do you have any info on a pneumatic clutch assist for the slave cylinder, which is what I was looking for.

Neil

I offered you a free, time tested solution that professional drivers around the globe use... Rather than learning something new, you respond with sarcasm and attitude...speaks volumes. Enjoy your travels.

Neil

Observer
Sorry to upset you. I sometimes get a little bit offended when you ask for advice on a technical or mechanical subject to be told that I need to alter the way I drive. I wasn't asking for driving advice but on a specific device.

Please accept my apologies and we can leave it there.

Neil

Joe917

Explorer
You don't have to change how you drive, just what you drive, change your 5 speed MB tranny for a 10 speed Freightliner and your troubles will float away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman