POD: Homebuilt foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper build thread

liftedlimo

Adventurer
I doubt the parts store has the scan tool to retrieve ABS soft codes. You need a nice scan tool that shops have(read $5k plus). You cant access the ABS codes with the inexpensive scan tools like what I have at my house, or 98% of parts stores have. I would take it to your local reputable shop and have them scan it for you. I might take a total of 5 minutes.

Thinking about it more, is it the security system going off? I haven't worked on Dodges since I changes careers, but I would take it to the shop I used to work at and scan it.

pods8

Explorer
No I don't think its security going off, because I can start/drive the truck just fine.

I pulled my wheels yesterday, I've got far more pad life left than I expected so definitely nothing related to that (not that I really suspect there was but ya never know) so at least I'm not needing to shell out cash on that front yet. :)

pods8

Explorer
Well seem to have cleared that issue up. I hit up the parts store for their scanner, it did have the option to read/erase the ABS codes if you went through the menu options. I pulled a code C1073 and then cleared it. However I still had lights on and dinging. When I got home I went ahead and decided to try out the ignition on/off/on/off/on deal to see what it would display. Well it thought for a minute, turned off the lights, and then listed -Done-. I fired up the truck and took if for a drive, lights are still off. So I'm calling this issue cleared up for the time being.

Onto my next fix. I decided to test out my fuel filler location on the flatbed install, turns out I installed the fuel filler nozzle too low when I made up a quick bracket and gas won't flow into the tank. :p Still got a half tank and that is a straight forward on at least. :)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Onto my next fix. I decided to test out my fuel filler location on the flatbed install, turns out I installed the fuel filler nozzle too low when I made up a quick bracket and gas won't flow into the tank. :p Still got a half tank and that is a straight forward on at least. :)

Oops.

Will the filler need to be higher than the height of the flatbed? On my Tacoma the filler is much higher than the bed height, but I do not know if it needs to be that heigh.

Always something to work on with these camper builds. :snorkel:

pods8

Explorer
Oops.

Will the filler need to be higher than the height of the flatbed? On my Tacoma the filler is much higher than the bed height, but I do not know if it needs to be that heigh.

Always something to work on with these camper builds. :snorkel:

Hope not, I need to take the rope rail off and see if the angle is good w/o it in the way. If its still off I'll likely need to look into a new neck that doesn't have as much of a bend. The tank itself is multiple inches under the deck so there should be a way.

Kilroy

Adventurer

I was thinking you had it pretty low, but didn't know you hadn't been able to try it out. I've got mine as high as I can without the grab bar on the bed.

pods8

Explorer
I was thinking you had it pretty low, but didn't know you hadn't been able to try it out. I've got mine as high as I can without the grab bar on the bed.

I had a full tank of gas when I put the bed on and haven't really driven much so I hadn't tried to see how it all worked yet. Glad I didn't wait till the last minute. :p

pods8

Explorer
Stock hose isn't long enough to lift the filler up and bring it out to the edge. A new hose might make things better but the stock one also has an angle on the metal portion limiting things a bit as well. Currently scouting the net for a potential better solution...

pods8

Explorer
Here's the current FWC on the flatbed for now. I did make the cab over height smaller on the build so it'll fit better (ie less gap).

Now just need to get this fuel filler sorted out to go out next weekend. I went to replace the hose with some steel reinforced fuel hose I grabbed locally but the dang tank fitting is 1/4" more in diameter and I can't stretch this hose, I'll need to get some w/o the steel I think.
2012-09-02_11-28-57_437.jpg

pods8

Explorer
Got it figured out. Not super glamorous but I can fill my tank now (tested to confirm) so I'll call it good to go for now. :)

I spliced in the new hose using part of the original fuel filler metal piece. I was originally going to just go fresh hose all the way to the tank but I couldn't stretch the metal reinforced hose over the tank barb (it was a bit larger, the stock hose could stretch but not the new stuff) so I went this route. Since I needed to cut the standoff bracket between the vent line and the main hose I put a piece of pipe insulation between them and used some handyman special (duct tape) to affix/support that.

2012-09-03_16-04-20_13.jpg

2012-09-03_16-06-50_597.jpg

Not sure how the flatbed you have is made but could you simply go through the aluminum support bar? As in hole saw through it with a rubber gasket? I had issues when I put my flatbed on my 06 tacoma but fixed it by drilling through the side rail. I can post some pics if you like or you can see my thread.

pods8

Explorer
Not sure how the flatbed you have is made but could you simply go through the aluminum support bar? As in hole saw through it with a rubber gasket? I had issues when I put my flatbed on my 06 tacoma but fixed it by drilling through the side rail. I can post some pics if you like or you can see my thread.

Where I got it to is functional without having to cut into the bed structure so unless I start running into issues there I'll be content. There is only about 1" to be gained before cutting into the floor extrusion bottoms and about 2" total till coming up into the deck I think. Gas goes in now and I'm happy. :) Would have been better if the dodge gas tank didn't have an over sized barb and I didn't need to concoct this setup for the time being but it is what it is. Silly to have a 1" pipe that flares out to about 1.25" on the fill tube and then 1.25" min barb that flares to about 1.5". High quality steel reinforced fuel hose can't account for that. In addition the "auto" parts stores all said under 1.5" was not typical at all, lack of availability would back that up. If that is true then "thanks" dodge.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Got it figured out. Not super glamorous but I can fill my tank now (tested to confirm) so I'll call it good to go for now. :)

That is a relief.

On a side note, I like the look of the FWC on the flatbed. Get some storage boxes mounted in the space on the side, and you will be good to go until you finish the new camper.

pods8

Explorer
That is a relief.

On a side note, I like the look of the FWC on the flatbed. Get some storage boxes mounted in the space on the side, and you will be good to go until you finish the new camper.

Yes it was. Planning to go camping for the night this weekend, didn't want to scrap that.

I'm not a fan of the large gap above the cap but it is what it is, the camper just fits a stock dodge well being ~1.5" over the cab so I was spoiled. For the moment I'll just put firewood and stuff on the sides of the camper, hopefully I'll get the build moving along more so I might not need to run this way longer term, we'll see if there is value in making up boxes.

On the build front not too much new with the camper itself, I've been focused on the truck mods for the time being. Also been distracted getting some things lined out since I'm moving to CO in October so I'll be stuffing the basket case build into a penskee truck with the rest of our stuff. :p I need to take some measurements on that to finalize my scheme to load it in. I'd like to at least finish off that other large lamination on the underside of the roof as well so its more structural in transit but we'll see. Lots to do in limited time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior