Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
This is for any of you guys building a trailer like I am...

A Simple Demonstration of Why You Need to Pack/Load a Trailer Correctly

The first rule of packing a U-Haul or pretty much any other trailer you pull behind your car is to load all the heaviest stuff up towards the front. It's not just an idle suggestion; it's a crucial piece of advice that could save your life, or at least save you a lot of trouble.

Basically, if the bulk of the weight is close to your car or truck, it's relatively easy to keep it under control because it's almost like an extension of the vehicle itself. If the weight is far away, it's more like a pendulum, and once it gets going, the oscillation can get fierce.

But this demonstration from U-Haul is worth a thousand words:

See the rest: http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-packing-trailers-correctly/?src=socialflowFB

I pretty much knew this, but that video really demonstrates it.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Just because I'm a trailer hauling person, I'll jump in here, . . .
No! You should not load all the weight in the front.
Every class of receiver/5th wheel plate has a max tongue weight, as well as what the rear suspension of the hauling rig can handle.
Balancing the load correctly, not only tongue /axle/ tail, but side to side, is what helps make a trailer stable.

Another thing that plays into it is that the trailer is built correctly and the axle/axles are in right placement for what you're using the trailer for.
I didn't get a video to play from the link but, just the pic I could see told me that I wouldn't haul that trailer in their demo . . . way too much tail behind the axle. And if the trailer's that long it probably needs to have two axles, . . . and farther back.

www.DirtTrackTravelers.com

patoz

Expedition Leader
If you weren't able to see the video, you missed the whole point of the demonstration. Try this direct link and see if it works any better.

As far as loading goes, correct weight distribution is very important and you make some good points. However, U-Haul did not say to place all of the weight at the front, in fact they said:

... this tight little demo shows both the best and worst case scenarios for a trailer load, and how bad fishtailing can get if just a little bit of force is applied to a back-loaded trailer.

Putting all of your heaviest stuff at or in front of your trailer's axles is a good rule of thumb to keep this from happening to you while you are pulling a full-sized trailer with a full-sized vehicle.

Also, you only want the bulk of the weight at the front, not all of it, or you'll end up putting a ton of pressure on the hitch. U-Haul recommends a 60/40 front/back split, but make sure you're loading to the specifications of your specific trailer.

Also, in case you didn't notice it, that little mock-up is designed so that the axle can be slid forward or backwards to demonstrate the effects of correct positioning.

Thank you for your comment and input, at least I know someone read the post!

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
That video says it all about highway speed and not enough forward weight. I've seen this happen in real-life many times.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
Good morning all...

14705725_10153781509906755_754274667165733664_n.jpg

Sunrise from our Pensacola Beach Pier!
https://www.facebook.com/gulfpier/ph...type=3&theater

52° at my house when I got up this morning, and I'm loving it too!
woohoo.gif
Going to try to get a little work done on the Ambo/camper today!

patoz

Expedition Leader
No work to report yet, except for more plotting, planning and ordering parts.

I'm wondering though; how many of you wish you had installed this switch in your Ambo-camper?

14953574_1128287777226059_8217758402729437905_n.jpg

Note, all answers are confidential! :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12