Polypropylene water tanks - anyone familiar with the chemical compositions of same

Truefire

Truefire
anyone familiar with polypropylene plastics and can advise whether or there are a varied array of grades or is the chemical composition of most polypropylene water tanks found in north america, similar across the board? Can anyone advise? :ylsmoke:

Thanks, Chris

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Polypropylene is a simple material. Exxon Mobil shows three basic grades. The differences being in molecular weight distribution, degree of crystallinity. and addition of impact modifiers: http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/C...nmobil-polypropylene.aspx?ln=productsservices

Companies which supply bulk thermoplastics to component manufacturers will add other stuff based on the customers requirements.

If you're specifically interested in bisphenol-A (BPA), I do not know why or if BPA would be added to polypropylene, but it might be. The only way to know for certain would be to read the MSDS for the specific type of PPE used to make the tank. The tank retailer will not have that info, the tank manufacturer will.

Bear in mind I was a rubber materials guy and did very little work with plastics. I did use bisphenols in Viton.

Regards

Jim

Truefire

Truefire
Thanks Jim, i appreciate it. I am wondering if difference in composition (if any) will create faulty welds when plastic welding scrap pieces of polypropylene from other source to my tanks. Need to make some repairs in the sidewalls.

Chris

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Chris

As I said, I have very little experience in plastics, and that was injection molding.

I'm curious - is your welding done with heat or with solvents?

Regards

Jim

Truefire

Truefire
Will be doing it with a plastic welding gun designed for this type stuff, whereby you use plastic welding rods along with the fusion. We shall see...

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan