Poor areas in USA

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yosh and I would like to make a run with a trailer full of canned goods, blankets, clothing etc. to areas that need our help.

Do you guys know of any places that can use our help with things like that?

I know Mexico is in need.. but im wondering about here in the USA? Anyone have any insight?

This is obviously in the early planning stages.

thanks guys,

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Everytown, USA. Every single town in the US has people in need. From people living with mental health issues to the family living paycheck to paycheck one day from eviction to the single parent barely making ends meet. Man, I could go on and on about this from my days as a social worker. Although I understand why churches send missionaries to other countries, I never could understand why they didn't do the same locally. I guess it's not as attractive. Anyways, I digress...

...I think your idea is, to put it lightly, AWESOME! My hats off to anyone who makes the decision to help out their fellow human being. You might want to consider doing a bulk order of stuff like blankets from place live cheaperthandirt.com.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I agree our whole nation is poor... I was just throwing it out there since i don't know any specific area other than that Coal Mining Town in the midwest and New Orleans that stand out in my head...

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming please.. we are working with our missionary buddy on finding a place we could overland too (that is safe!).

Thanks for the link, i'll check it out.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Andrew Walcker said:
Great idea! Count me in:wings:
Yeah, do you have an estimated time schedule or anything? This sounds really cool the more I think about it.:costumed-smiley-007

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I have Zilch as of right now. Just a vision. I've been thinking about it for a few months.

Basically just a trip like we normally do.. but on our way out stop and drop off some supplies for people , then head on our way the next day after visiting with some of the locals.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
What about dropping off at a local food bank. They warehouse the supplies and distribute regularly.
People are generous around the holidays, but people need help the rest of the year too. This time of year supplies can get dangerously low.
A quick phone call to a local food bank in an area you plan to visit would be great. They don't need fancy stuff, just the basics. Items that keep well.

We have everyone bring something to a club gathering. Then drop off the goods on the way out of town.
Bike rallies, Movie nights, Ball games, even the Post Office do food drives.

If you are thinking hard goods, perhaps a local Red Cross representative could use them? They do a good job during disasters (flood , fire, etc.) I know that our area has a thrift store run by an organization that supports disadvantaged children, Idaho Youth Ranch Thrift Stores. We make our donations of used goods there. They distribute to the needy through coupons that may be used at their stores for things such as coats, clothing, bedding, furniture, appliances, etc.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
If you would like to add another element to the trip, whereby you learn some things about a distinct culture here within our own borders, I might suggest contacting any of the Indian reservations across the country. Just like everytown USA, they have their share of people in need. This would allow some cross-culture interaction and you might get to hear some really cool stories spoken by people who lived during interesting times in unique places. I don't know if you have ever been to a Hopi or Apache dance, but it is something you will never forget.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah , i've actually wheeled on a indian reservation many times here in SoCal and i did notice how bad the people lived. That's a great idea too.

gillti

Adventurer
Here in Loma Linda we have a ronald mcdonald house that is always looking for food for those that use their facilities. As well, Norton Neighborhoods has programs out here in San Berdoo. PM me and I can give you a bunch of info. I coordinate alot of this stuff for our school
tjg

gary in ohio

Explorer
Pretty much any CITY in the US has poor that need help. You mght want to check with Salvation Army, Red Cross, nazarene compassionate ministries, Local church missions projects.

beers_52

Henry J and Baja Taco both have good ideas.

I co-drive a rally car here in OR/WA. PNW rallies (think Colin McRae, Travis Pastrana) often tie their events in with a charitable organization.

The Oregon Trail Rally partners w/ Parkinsons Resources of Oregon, every year at the Doo Wops rally in Aberdeen, WA, teams donate cash and food to the Oakville food bank.

The Oakville food bank has paid their building rent each year from those donations and proceeds from the rally awards banquet.

Additionally, one of the locales for that rally is near Taholah on the Quinalt Indian reservation. We try and buy whatever supplies we can there to help support their community and make sure we're welcome back.

Buying supplies and donating in the areas that we explore is a good idea.

-Bill

7wt

Expedition Leader
The poorest places in the US I have seen are just about any gulf coast city. Pascagoula, Mobile, New Orleans, Gulfport...I could go on and on. These people are truely in need. I used to fish in a lot of these places and would always see a father and his kids handlining for dinner with nothing more than a hook about four feet of 12 pound test and a bit of crab stuck through the shell. They would keep anything they caugh and put it into a bucket until they had enough to eat. This was all over, everytime I would go out I would see this. I started stopping off by Wally World on the way out to pick up a couple of spools of test, about five packages of hooks and a cheap rod and reel or a pair of gloves. I would always very graciously hand them to who ever looked nice and they would alway be so greatful, some would even invite me for dinner. It was very touching. I noticed that they were catching mostly little school perch and small stuff like that. I would have no problem hanging a nice redfish or speckled trout or two and would always donate the catch to the mother. I knew a lot of people that donated there catch to the needy families. Most were very greatful for what ever you gave them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle