POOR MONTERO!

Toyotero

Explorer
It almost resulted in a serious injury due, presumably, to not having the seat belt buckled... that's the driver's leg flopping out the window and nearly being rolled over.

1.JPG

2.JPG

nckwltn

Explorer
I may have almost done a similar thing coming up Mengal pass earlier today. Key word being ALMOST. There was a sharp, highly banked corner, and I was up a little too high up the corner and a guy spotting me said my drivers front tire came WAY up in the air..... I don't know what "WAY" up in the air really was, and I didn't feel like I was any any more of an angle than I normally would have been.

Bad stuff can happen quickly when you're not paying attention. I came out fine (with only a couple of dents on my rocker panels)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ohh.... priced nicely as well! I could probably also stand to replace rear springs (was loaded down with camping gear for 3 dudes), and turn the torsion bars a bit. Previous owner put on 31" BFGs, and I removed the running boards. Other than that, I'm all stock. Just an extra inch or 2 would have made all the difference.
Instead of stiffer springs which would also affect your stock weight ride adversely, you may want to consider Airlift air suspension as an alternative.

nckwltn

Explorer
Instead of stiffer springs which would also affect your stock weight ride adversely, you may want to consider Airlift air suspension as an alternative.

I can imagine how the airlift would work for the rear, but what about for the front?

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Had some pretty off kilter situations myself while in the Roosevelt national forest last year, that was a fun trail for sure! Gotta pay attention, oh and the picture was very deceiving, this was my first experience coming down this steep of a hill, I made my wife get out to document, but mostly to protect her from a possible roll-over and so she could get help.
IMAG0898 copy.jpg
Pay attention! Be prepared for the worst! Spent a good amount of time finding my line down. :coffee:

SoCalMonty

Explorer
You'd be amazed what kind of roll angle you can safely tolerate if you just take it easy and go slow. You'll be able to feel the vehicle hit the CoG before it goes past it...you just have to be very delicate at the controls.

This was earlier today, on Bradshaw Trail about 10-15 miles East of Salton Sea...with about 2.5" of lift and 150 lbs of fuel and tires on the roof...

20140323_103441[2].jpg

We actually hit a steeper roll angle than this about 10 miles further down the trail, but no one was relaxed enough to take a picture. ;)

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
You'd be amazed what kind of roll angle you can safely tolerate if you just take it easy and go slow. You'll be able to feel the vehicle hit the CoG before it goes past it...you just have to be very delicate at the controls.

This was earlier today, on Bradshaw Trail about 10-15 miles East of Salton Sea...with about 2.5" of lift and 150 lbs of fuel and tires on the roof...

View attachment 217183

We actually hit a steeper roll angle than this about 10 miles further down the trail, but no one was relaxed enough to take a picture. ;)

this is nuts. Hate that feeling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12