pop rivet & nut setting toolS recommendations wanted

s.e.charles

two tools/ not combination: anyone have a suggested brand & model?

a variety of sized heads (1/8", 1/4", 8 -32 tpi, mm - for example) for each would be a plus.

thanks

NatersXJ6

Explorer
2 tools.

I use the harbor freight riv-nut tool for an initial set, but after that I usually actually finish the install with a threaded bold and a couple of nuts, the harbor freight tool isn’t great.

I use the basic Stanley heavy-duty gun with the rotating head for pop rivets. It works pretty well for my needs.

s.e.charles

thanks for the inputs. as per my usual, seems i am making more of this than necessary.

anyone have experience with the Astro Pneumatic brand of popper? i'm wondering if the straight-on application is a drawback or advantage over the 90 degree style head. 1616226383922.png

Astro Pneumatic is an excellent brand. They offer a wide range of pop rivet and rivet nut tool. Whether you want 90 degree or straight on depends more on the location you are using them. If you have a lot to do I recommend using riveters designed for drill use.

drrobinson

I’ve got the Astro Pneumatics (1422) and so far it’s been great. I did read about some folks having difficulty with it due to “grit” in the pivot points, so I took mine apart and cleaned/relubed before ever using it.

One other thought, if you are going to set any Plusnuts, be sure to get the Astro with the longer mandrel (1450). They cost too much to buy the longer ones as individual mandrel sets. I wish I would have gone with the longer ones from the get go.

I think if you have relatively limited use, it’s a good value. If you are thinking high volume, your going to need to spend a lot more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
When I ordered PlusNuts from the local distributor Bollhoff sent me to

I just asked them to add the appropriate size hand tool to the order, might have been $8 or so?

Not a gun, just nuts on a threaded sleeve, anyone with a machine shop could DIY.

Has worked great, but then I only do a few dozen max at a time.

mudraider

Adventurer
Marson has worked great for me, I use about 30 per vehicle we build.

Sent from my pretty good android phone

Reactions: plh

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For Pop-Rivets:
My primary recommendation is to make a guess at how many rivets you'll need to set in a day. If you'll be doing more than ~5-10, I'd rather use a cheap pneumatic setter. After 25 years flying a keyboard, I've learned to be careful about RSIs in my wrists. Pop-Rivet tools are one of the things that can really set me off - numbness and swelling for days. I'll bust out the manual popper for a onesie if I'm working on something in my workshed (away from the air supply in my garage), but any more than that and I'll haul the project to the garage and use the air popper. The Harbor Freight one was $50 well spent and it has pulled hundreds if not thousands without fail.

For riv-nut/plus-nuts:
I'm pretty much 100% pneumatic now. I have a decent manual setter (looks very much like the Astro 1423 above, with different branding), but you need a lot more clearance and leverage to operate a manual tool like that, and 7/10 times I'm using a riv-nut, it's because I'm putting a blind fastener in a harder-to-reach spot. The $200-ish price for the Amazon pneumatic setting tool was 100% worth the price for me, both for avoiding strain on my wrists and because it's small enough to work in tight areas. Zip-zip, done.
rivnut.jpg

plh

Explorer
I have the Harbor Freight manual Riv-Nut setter - its has become basically junk after only a few uses (less than 25). Looks like the Marson is $29 delivered (Amazon) - I'm buying one!

s.e.charles

because the "git it done" bug caught me on a sunday afternoon, i went to the local hardware store and bought this one: Amazon.com: Stanley MR55 Heavy Duty Riveter: Home Improvement

$23 - and i bought a couple of different size rivets. worked fine to attach 1/16" aluminum angle around the back hatch of my contractor style cap.

Q: is there an optimum length of rivet (sandwich thickness) when the fastener should be shifted to a nutsert style fastener?

thanks

ExpoMike

because the "git it done" bug caught me on a sunday afternoon, i went to the local hardware store and bought this one: Amazon.com: Stanley MR55 Heavy Duty Riveter: Home Improvement

$23 - and i bought a couple of different size rivets. worked fine to attach 1/16" aluminum angle around the back hatch of my contractor style cap.

Q: is there an optimum length of rivet (sandwich thickness) when the fastener should be shifted to a nutsert style fastener?

thanks

Nutsert fasteners are to allow you to use a screw or bolt into a blind surface or thin metal. It is not a "rivet" to fasten pieces together. Two different uses and applications. Rivets come in a large variety of grip ranges. You want to find the grip range for the project you are using.

VanWaLife

I've had fine luck with the Astro. The drawback to the straight-on style is you need room for access and setting. Also I've had bad results with stainless rivnuts 10-24 and smaller. The stainless is tougher to set than typical, so you will start snapping mandrels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998