Pop up build for 2001 Dakota

alumacapt

After a year of looking for a lightweight pop up for my Dakota I decided to attempt to build my own. With my biggest concern being weight, I wanted to use aluminum. That was the 1st challenge, welding aluminum. I didn't let my lack of skills stop me so I used the learn by doing method. Some days the welds came out good, other days, not so much.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 114

RoadForce

Observer
Good job!

How did you seal up the seems, e.g. where the sheeting on the side meets the sheeting on the rear? Did you weld that, or used some kind of mastic?

alumacapt

Good job!

How did you seal up the seems, e.g. where the sheeting on the side meets the sheeting on the rear? Did you weld that, or used some kind of mastic?

I didn't seal it. Im using the bed of the truck as a floor.. It's basically a pop up camper shell. The rear panel is hinged and lifts up so I can still haul things without removing the camper. The camper will be completed early this spring/summer. The inside has tyvek insulation but no paneling yet. I'm going to use FRC.

loudboy

Observer
Hi Alumacapt,

I know this is a long-dormant thread, but was hoping you'd have more pictures of your build. I'm doing something similar, and am brainstorming how to cleanly attach vinyl siding to the body. Any details on your hinge/pop mechanism would be greatly appreciated too!

dcwn.45

Observer
Not sure about vinyl but there is a company called Manus products that makes a 2 part product that is used to glue aluminum sheets to aluminum frames
I used to work for a company building fish houses (think I've castle,but more high end)
We used lots of short strips of 2sided tape to hold panels for the epoxy to set
Very strong, in fact if we screwed up we had to cut it apart.

loudboy

Observer
Not sure about vinyl but there is a company called Manus products that makes a 2 part product that is used to glue aluminum sheets to aluminum frames...

Sorry, I should have specified vinyl fabric for the pop-up part. Thanks though, dcwn.45

alumacapt

Loudboy

image.jpg I originally used 4 linear actuators but the 2 front ones had a heavier burden due to extra weight of cantiliver. I ended up with a hydraulic system similar to Alaskan campers. In hindsight I would have used 2 way hydraulics. Mine were 1 way with gravity to bring top down. I used Velcro to attach canvas but had to rivet Velcro strip to inside of top. When you finish go to your local dmv and get a title and vin #. I was rear ended and my camper was smashed. Ben fighting with Nationwide ever since. They are pretty ruthless. No vin, no title, NO PAY!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan