Pop-Up Camper - Custom Build (scratch built) Oasis-Si

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
More weekend fun with the camper. I finally (yes finally) got started on the fabric install, and it went pretty well considering I did it solo. Clamped it in place where the join is... just over the rear door, and stretched it all the way around the tub. I lined it up and used 3/4" stainless staples from my air nailer to get it fitted. Once that was done and I confirmed it was in the right spots and lined up properly, I set about installing the aluminum trim I had pre-fabbed for the bottom. This will not only hold it in place, but protect the fabric. That took a bit to do. Looks pretty good I think.

20230827_175321.jpg

20230827_175315.jpg

Trim turned out great, exactly like I wanted it to. This long edge however is a bit wonky. I hit a few screws when installing the pre-drilled trim, so had to wiggle it around a bit. Also still need to trim some excess fabric off the bottom in a few places.

20230827_171952.jpg

20230827_171945.jpg

Oh and here is a finished shot of the roof with the panels installed and the wiring all in place held down by Eternabond.

20230827_135511.jpg

Tomorrow I finish attaching the top and then test it in the truck with the whole thing ready to go. Maybe a test camp next weekend?

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

Great job getting your fabric tight., Overall it looks great.

No one will notice the "wonky" trim but you. Don't sweat it.
Thanks sir. I agree... most wont see it, but I do. lol Fabric is nearlty complete...needed to do a slight re-think on the ceilieng attachment points. Should be done today I hope.

VanIsle_Greg

Fabric is complete as is attaching it all and I even added another exterior light.

Also, annoyingly apparently if I upload and insert full images... they work. Ugh. Here you can see the roof closed.. and the 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the roof lip (top) and the tub. I am remediating that with an additional strip of aluminum and some VHB tape. Likely a few stainless rivets too. TBD. I also need to move the latches up 1/2" as well to give me some adjustment back. They work, but it is TIGHT! 🫤

20230904_142156.jpg

Inside showing the "finished" product. Its a pretty nice space in there. The shock cords, clips and carabiners are all in place to help witht he closing too. The system was built in to the fabric and it works great. The ones in the photo below heading towards the rear pull in the cabling from the roof.

20230904_141422.jpg

TOtally out of sequence, but this is the new light. Makes for some easy viewing of who is around out there or to scare off the bears / critters. there is one on each side and one on the rear. I also have a poarch light that I can turn on and off from outside and in.

20230904_141401.jpg

A spring cord to assist with closing and tucking... works well but need to shrink it by 12" or so.

20230904_141348.jpg

20230904_141341.jpg

Below, you can see the trim strips (Luan) that I used around the perimeter of the roof to clamp in the fabric. I used stainless staples (T-50 x 5/16) and a long straight edge to get the fabris tight against the top, and then about 800 staples. I then cut and fitted these strips (3.5" wide) to help tighten the fabric and keep it in place. More stainless staples, this time 3/4" narrow from my brad nailer. I still need to re-seal or varnish the edges to finish finish it.

20230831_164100.jpg

Pic above shows the cabling that is for roof vent, lights and solar panels. Rear window is a nice feature. Photo below shows the misaligned side window... also this was before the fabric was 100% dome.

20230831_164053.jpg

20230831_164048.jpg

20230831_164038.jpg

All things considered it turned out pretty good. I am a little disappointed that the windows on the drivers side (small window) is misaligned to the hoops. Also the windows were made slightly too big, and are too close to the bottom of the fabric. This is why there is a gap between the roof and the tub that still needs remediation. The folded zippers and the bulk of the velcro, windows and zippers resting on the tub cap makes it lift too much, causing the gap. No big deal, but its just another challenge to overcome. VHB and 1/8" aluminum to the rescue!!

So close to being complete.

Mules

Fabric is complete as is attaching it all and I even added another exterior light.

Also, annoyingly apparently if I upload and insert full images... they work. Ugh. Here you can see the roof closed.. and the 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the roof lip (top) and the tub. I am remediating that with an additional strip of aluminum and some VHB tape. Likely a few stainless rivets too. TBD. I also need to move the latches up 1/2" as well to give me some adjustment back. They work, but it is TIGHT! 🫤

View attachment 795696

Inside showing the "finished" product. Its a pretty nice space in there. The shock cords, clips and carabiners are all in place to help witht he closing too. The system was built in to the fabric and it works great. The ones in the photo below heading towards the rear pull in the cabling from the roof.

View attachment 795697

TOtally out of sequence, but this is the new light. Makes for some easy viewing of who is around out there or to scare off the bears / critters. there is one on each side and one on the rear. I also have a poarch light that I can turn on and off from outside and in.

View attachment 795698

A spring cord to assist with closing and tucking... works well but need to shrink it by 12" or so.

View attachment 795699

View attachment 795700

Below, you can see the trim strips (Luan) that I used around the perimeter of the roof to clamp in the fabric. I used stainless staples (T-50 x 5/16) and a long straight edge to get the fabris tight against the top, and then about 800 staples. I then cut and fitted these strips (3.5" wide) to help tighten the fabric and keep it in place. More stainless staples, this time 3/4" narrow from my brad nailer. I still need to re-seal or varnish the edges to finish finish it.

View attachment 795701

Pic above shows the cabling that is for roof vent, lights and solar panels. Rear window is a nice feature. Photo below shows the misaligned side window... also this was before the fabric was 100% dome.

View attachment 795702

View attachment 795703

View attachment 795704

All things considered it turned out pretty good. I am a little disappointed that the windows on the drivers side (small window) is misaligned to the hoops. Also the windows were made slightly too big, and are too close to the bottom of the fabric. This is why there is a gap between the roof and the tub that still needs remediation. The folded zippers and the bulk of the velcro, windows and zippers resting on the tub cap makes it lift too much, causing the gap. No big deal, but its just another challenge to overcome. VHB and 1/8" aluminum to the rescue!!

So close to being complete.
Beautiful attention to detail and I love the zip out windows, screen, and sun shade!

Since my little sewing machine couldn't handle all the material, I left the sun shades out. Big mistake as I now have to use towels and a couple clips to cover my windows in the morning.

It's looking very impressive and nice interior! You're going to love it.

ITTOG

I missed the windows used zippers instead of Velcro. That is cool. Are they zippered all the way around so they can be removed or just the top and sides and then they hang or looks like you hold in a roll with a loop?

VanIsle_Greg

Beautiful attention to detail and I love the zip out windows, screen, and sun shade!

Since my little sewing machine couldn't handle all the material, I left the sun shades out. Big mistake as I now have to use towels and a couple clips to cover my windows in the morning.

It's looking very impressive and nice interior! You're going to love it.

Thanks Mules. Yeah, the window shades are awesome... and they work well. They are worth the extra cost to have done... and this fabric while amazing, was not cheap. Having said that, I also went to the best guy around to get this done and had to wait 3 months to get a spot. The only thing I would do again or different, is the zippers... they are too big. A bit overkill to be honest. They are going to outlast me probably, but they are bulky and they get in the way of the roof closing in a few spots.

VanIsle_Greg

I missed the windows used zippers instead of Velcro. That is cool. Are they zippered all the way around so they can be removed or just the top and sides and then they hang or looks like you hold in a roll with a loop?

They are only zippered down the sides so velcro at the top and then zips down the sides. This way when it rains they don't leak at the bottom. Yes to the roll and velcro loops...will take a pic or find one. Works very well, and there is a decent cross breeze even with the fan off.

Bad pic, and I had the long velcro strips behind the plastic window... but you get the idea.

20230831_164100.jpg

Good shot of the back window over the door with the zippers, velcro and the SIZE of those zippers. lol Massive. (that's what she said)

20230831_164048.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

Hello all. Been a minute since I updated this. I have not done a pile of work since the last update(s) but what I have done means I am now essentially "complete" the work on the top, fabric and roof. This has been a MASSIVE effort to get this thing remediated, repaired and finished. It took a lot longer than expected, and cost a bunch more than I expected...but it is, done. I can now get out and use it... aaaaaand of course it is rainy/stormy season here now. lol Perfect.

I went to the local Metal Supermarket and picked up some 1.5" strips @ 8' long of some 0.040 dressed aluminum that matches the camper sides...or it did before all of the oxidization on the sides, yikes! I knew it was going to happen, but not to the extent. I am going to use some aluminum stuff on it soon to see if I can bring it back. Or will wrap or paint it. TBD.

VHB tape. Woah. Super impressed at the holding power this stuff has. I mean I knew it did, but I have never used it more than to attach an emblem or a small LED light. I meticulously prepped the surfaces to be bonded by sanding them washing down with Methyl Hydrate... then attached the 2 sided VHB to the roof trim. I then went piece by piece and carefully attached the strips. I pre-cut it all and fit it as best as I could, and overalll I think it turned out great (more pics coming).

20231002_130522.jpg

Nice tight gaps at the ends. The upper gap on this side is... gappy, but it works.

20231002_130508.jpg

I removed the original corners and made longer ones to strengthen it and protect it. Will grab a pic ASAP. I ditched the screws and just used VHB, which worked OK... may go back and add some screws.

20231002_130502.jpg

This (below) is before the new trim was installed. Pretty sloppy looking. Side note. I also raised all of the roof clamps 1/2" give or take to give me some more adjustment on the clamps. They were pretty maxed out so this made it easier to adjust pressure and clamping strength as they were maxed and a bit too tight.

20230904_142156.jpg

More to come soon. Pretty stoked to get this loaded up and tested out. Need to re-weigh the truck before and after. Thanks for following along.

VanIsle_Greg

Looking forward to the full pictorial tour of it mounted on your truck!! Love to see the interior with all the gadgets operational.
Me too! The weather had taken a rather wet turn, and so I really haven't had a chance to do anything about this. Also need to get my canopy off the truck too... so need some assistance with that. It's manageable with 3 people easily so I might be able to get that done in short order.

Now... to find all my camping gear.

Oh and before I forget, anyone know of a good way to keep drawers closed? The slides we used do not have locks, and there is no simple way I can see to keep them closed? Pics below on how the drawers and frames are built.

20201004_170631.jpg

20201004_170624.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior