Pop up camper experiences.

yz3500f

Hello all first time poster here hoping to glean some knowledge from people who have been there. I’m a traveling millwright and am in the planning phase of building a pop up wedge camper. I really like the Alu cab design and setup but to my knowledge they don’t build one for a long bed. For the people who have a pop up canvas camper how do they hold up to day in and day out use? Do you have to worry about the material molding if it’s put away wet? How do they handle wind? If you could change things what would you change. Other people have recommended a van but I’m pretty set on using my truck. I also have to travel a fair distance for jobs so a pop up is what I’m most interested in. I’m currently working out of a regular canopy camper but I’d really like to stand. Here are a few pictures of my current setup.

1D9CB5C1-206E-4D12-BC1A-E660117FD107.jpeg
69C17248-98E5-4481-9685-FF00139D9AEE.jpeg

MR E30

My wife and I live in an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper on a 6ft bed Tacoma. You are correct, unfortunately they do not make an 8 ft version, though I know GFC does.

So far, ours is holding up incredibly well. We are both always near the truck, using it all day everyday. It hauls all of our stuff, and we both work remotely out of it 4 days a week. It is under constant assault by us.

I would certainly worry about mold if I put away the tent wet too often and for too long. When mine does get wet it gets aired out asap and for as long as possible. Sometimes this means opening it while in the grocery store, or when doing laundry at a laundromat. I have seen mold filled soft shells that got put away wet and forgot about for a week. I would not want to have to clean that out of my home.

Mine handles wind very well. IIRC we have peacefully slept through 40 mph wind, where the truck was rocking back and forth on the suspension, but the fabric stayed quiet. We make sure to tuck the zippers down low, where the mattress holds them in place, as they will jiggle if left towards the top of the windows.

The only thing I would change is just a bit more space between the edge of the bed platform and the end of the camper, i.e. make the top portion of the camper longer by 6 inches or so. That would help me fit a bit better through the pass through, but it isn't a large concern.

Definitely a plus one for sticking with your truck, although I am biased.

Any other questions let me know.

Edit after reading below: My setup was always intended to be an "I live outside, and my truck holds those things that I need in order to live my life" type of build. It was not meant to be something like a van, where I could live 'inside' at all times. I did not want that. I can certainly hunker down inside if needed, but that isn't the priority.

This makes it a lot harder, I think, to survive out of. I have no complaints, but it definitely can be something to complain about.

Last edited:

reaper229

My opinion after using mine everydays since a year and half is clam shell style sucks,ok good for the solar panels but you lose so much space,mine have a bed folding platform and you can't sit or put stuff when the thing is pushed ...there is no perfect campers I guess,I would like to sell mine and built a diy camper with hard walls.PXL_20231017_190512855.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 6a en utilisant Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
my DIY wedge is great for a weekend or week. My retirement option will be a DIY built out Sprinter. I can't imagine a Wedge for fulltime life.

yz3500f

Thank you everyone for all the responses. Like I said I am still in the planing stages and am also considering a hard sided pop up. My main concern with what ever I go with making sure I keep the rain or snow out of my living area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12