Pop Up Camper Modification for Carrying Motorcycle. Also, warning **GORE PICS**

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Ouch... I was a hockey player for years and I have a nick on the other side of the arm in the same place from a blade that sliced my arm. Both cuts never really hurt, they were so deep. This one hurt about an hour in but that was the worst it ever was... :) I know all about gloves full of blood though, I love hockey :)

I can't even count how many times I've been in a hurry and do things a little out of the norm. I remember once trying to drill through hockey sticks to mount new picks the day before going to world championships in Germany. I was holding the stick in one hand braced on my wheelchair wheel and hooked up my air drill that goes 50bajilion rpms! mind you drill press is 10 feet away! I was using a cool pilt drill bit, that had a smaller tip and then stepped up to the size I wanted... it started "dancing on me a little so I tilted the drill to make it dance back to the correct place. well when I tilted it it hit the larger part of bit and jumped off and hit my finger. It happened so fast that I thought "man was that a close call" as I felt it brush my finger. A couple seconds later two deep red bubbles of blood started flowing like a river. I didn't "brush" my finger... I drilled though it! from right in the middle of finger print pad to the bottom of nail about an inch away. that bit was so sharp and going so fast that it just punched right through. that tournament was so painfull! my hockey gloves were full of blood after every game. ouch!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
To answer other questions, including Rob talking to himself ( :sombrero: ) the guard wouldn't have made a difference as it was the outside that got my arm, one clean knick of the blade sliced right through including my shirt. A full face shield is a very good idea and I've been planning to get one since it happened... Welders wear leather clothing effectionately called "leathers" and this would have prevented the accident. They are hot and expensive but I might invest in at least an upper body one for situations like that.... My face and particularly my torso are very lucky....

RE the trailer, it tows excellently weighted or unweighted, noticeably better in my opinion than it did before! I've also even seen a few car haulers that used this style (heavy tongue weight) and towed excellently if your tow vehicle is up to it (as a Toyota Tundra 4 door, his tow vehicle, is). I hauled my FJ55 from Oregon to Utah using this style car hauler and it was excellent and solid as a rock. So I think it will hold up great...

If it were me I would add a stronger axle but the guy seemed somewhat hesitant about it, so it will be hit loss when he's on the side of the road with a blown bearing some day :) That said I dunno perhaps it can handle the load just fine. Trailer axles are cheap enough that I think it will be a good investment for him...

Last edited:

DavidT

grinders

I weld for a living, for years I never had much respect for a grinder other than wearing eye protection. What got my respect one day was when I was grinding in a very tight spot on a pipe branch. My disc became lodged and the grinder flew at least 15 feet in an instant. If one of my co workers would have been standing opposite of me it would have been bad.
If I can use a guard i will. Sometimes they wont allow you to get the job done.
The good thing is he got the tonge off without removing his arm and maybe saved someone else from the same type of injury by posting his pics .

vhram

Observer
Ouch, its easy to get comfortable with power tools ,gonna look at my grinders a little more cautiously after those pics.Ive had those discs blow up in my face , nothing like yours thou. Glad your ok now, trailer looks great.

Christian

Adventurer
Good to hear that you had the glasses on!
I remember a friend of mine, a proffesional body-repair guy (a four-year education here) who took a normal cutting disc, just like yours, and put it in an air-powered grinder. The electric versions run at about 10.000 rpm, while the airpowered run at much higher rpm.
The result was that the disc broke in free air, one part lodging itself in the concrete wall 25-30 feet away, and one part hitting him in the forehead! Fotunately he was wearing a full face mask, the piece went directly through the lexan, or whatever it is, and striked him on headband holding the mask. Fortunately it had lost enough energy not to do serious damage, but it knocked him out cold.

Well you're clearly an experienced fabricator, so like me you handle powertools often. Accidents will happen... But its worth it!

Nice looking motorcycle-rack!

ExpoMike

Ouch!!!!! I bet that hurt. Glad you have recovered okay from it.

This is one reason I try not to use cutoff wheels as much as possible. When possible I try to cut material with a chop saw or when not practical, out comes the Plasma cutter.

At least you know what you did wrong and hopefully won't do that again.

Nice mod to the trailer. I agree with what was posted above, I would look at upgrading the axle, so you don't overload it or the wheel bearing, especially if you take this off any paved roads. Off road (graded or not) is really hard on axles and bearing not made for the task.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had the same thing happen to me when I was cutting tubbing for an exhaust mount for a motorbike, only the grinder kicked down and into my inner left thigh... thankfully, the important bits were on the right side. My jeans took most of the hit, and I ended up with a big bruise/roadrash looking wound. I wear a full leather upper when I cut and weld, but in this case an apron would have been nice. Probably would have helped the time my crotch caught fire while welding overhead too!:sombrero:

I went this route (see attachment) for my trailer, as we plan on being in it for 6 months at a time...

Attachments

• DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 63

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very nice trailer.. And into the leg, ouch.. I have a thread about this on ih8mud.com the topic of leathers and an apron has come up a lot. I think a leather apron is an awesome idea, possibly standard issue even maybe :)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
BTW, how'd you get it to stop bleeding enough to take that picture? You're lucky you didn't sever the vein in your wrist.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Geez, that looked bad. Nice to hear you are okay.

Trailer is looking real good though.

Be careful dude..

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hey thanks guys for the comments.

On the 'mud thread there are a few professional welders and I guess the guard is absolutely 100% OSHA required and they are saying 'if it can't fit with the guard, use a different tool' which 100% makes sense... This is going to be my technique, keep it one unless it needs to come off. The Dewalt is a quick release...

RE the grinder catching and flying 15', basically an extreme example of what happened here. The grinder and cut off wheel is sort of my tool of choice, I use it for a lot of fab related stuff so I know the tool well. One thing was this was a brand new version of the old Forney disks that was slightly heavier duty and didn't cut as well. The old disk would have cut crumbled, not had the velocity this one did. I assumed they beefed them up for a perceived safety. I heard of a broken cut off wheel disk flying into the throat of someone before (scary again).

RE the photo and blood, it's a pretty good story... It happened but I didn't actually know where I was hit, all I could tell was I was. So I got up and started looking around and sure enough there it was and it was only there. It took a good minute or so before any blood showed up at all, I wish I'd taken a shot then because it was quite white inside with the tendons, etc. The nastiest part was I could move my wrist and watch the tendons slide back and forth through the hole. I was really really lucky it didn't hit anything deeper as well. (Coincientally I went and bought long arm thin leather welding gloves for this as well yesterday). It then started filling so I dumped the blood out in the driveway and broke out the first aid kit. Luckily there was an abdominal pad (reminding me how glad I was it didn't hit my torso) designed to grab blood. It really didn't bleed too bad. My truck is stick so it was a slightly complicated drive to the hospital. I was in all my dirty dusty fab clothing so I was a walking ball of dust, I left a path anywhere I sat in the hospital.. They were really good and had me in and out of there quickly. I couldn't believe how many stitches it took, two layers of about 12 (one on the deep part of the skin and one on the surface) and about 6 on the tendon where it broke the protective sheath. I went for holistic PT type healing through a local holistic chiropractor (so she doesn't take insurance, such is life) and she has been really good about breaking down the scar tissue and keeping the wound from sticking to the tendons and other things as it's healed. I'll post up pics, it actually looks like it's healed just great... This is already 4-5 weeks ago :)

I'm at the shop a lot by myself (and at all crazy hours) so it never occurred to me what I would do in a major accident if I had one. I've had two little accidents before, and engine started falling over once and I ran over and grabbed it and it put a pretty deep hole in my inner right wrist. This was deep but I actually just cleaned it up and didn't even get stitches and it was fine. The other was a speck of metal that fell out of a '85 4-Runner into my eye when I was changing a timing chain, this one required the drill at the eye doctor, scary!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Wow, stitches inside too?

I could see the tendon on my finger too, pretty freaky. The material has a slight shine to the white, almost like mother of pearl. I've also noticed that sometimes deep cuts don't start to bleed for a little bit. That's weird.

I had another little almost accident today... was using a Dremel too with a sanding drum. Couldn't hurt a fly right? Well, I was using cheap no-name drums that I bought, and one of them exploded in my face. Never had that before. It hit me in the face, but I was only wearing my glasses. Nothing happened, but if I hadn't had glasses on at least. So I put on a new drum, and my face shield, and the second one exploded too. POS tools.

Working in your shop alone is pretty dangerous. I'm surprised you drove yourself to the hospital like that. That's hardcore. Do you have any way to signal for help?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Just the cell phone.. If I can find it :)

Seriously I have to be a little more careful and particularly make sure I always have the cell phone on me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan