Pop up toppers (GFC, Lone Peak, Super Pacific, etc.) how much condensation and or leakage in the PNW or other humid environments?

simple

Adventurer
I'm curious how much condensation forms in these units when parked outside in the Pacific Northwest in the winter time. Specifically units in stock form without added insulation.

Also, how much water leaks into the truck bed between the camper and bed rails as well as gaps on the sides of the tailgate?

If moisture is present, what steps have been taken to remedy the situation? Does the mattress and other items need to be removed when not in use?

Dave in AZ

Just a little bit after I started this thread, this was in my you tube feed. Hmm
Perfect for me! I pulled the rail caps off yesterday, 2021 Tacoma, and was staring at all the holes wondering how to seal it.20231215_161049.jpg

Last edited:

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
I'm curious how much condensation forms in these units when parked outside in the Pacific Northwest in the winter time. Specifically units in stock form without added insulation.

Also, how much water leaks into the truck bed between the camper and bed rails as well as gaps on the sides of the tailgate?

If moisture is present, what steps have been taken to remedy the situation? Does the mattress and other items need to be removed when not in use?
Thanks for starting this. I live in Seattle area with a truck too big for my garage.
I heard an early model Alu-cab RTT and had lots of condensation and water leakage. My lungs couldn't handle the mildew / mold anymore so I moved on to a Hiatus pop up. Have had a couple months and just found mold (I'll cross post here my reply in a Hiatus thread with more details).
I couldn't find much online about people's PNW experiences so this will be helpful.

trabs00

Thanks for starting this. I live in Seattle area with a truck too big for my garage.
I heard an early model Alu-cab RTT and had lots of condensation and water leakage. My lungs couldn't handle the mildew / mold anymore so I moved on to a Hiatus pop up. Have had a couple months and just found mold (I'll cross post here my reply in a Hiatus thread with more details).
I couldn't find much online about people's PNW experiences so this will be helpful.
My other post about Hiatus link
Post 141 Hiatus

Last edited:

dstefan

Yeah, Tundras as the same! I pulled mine off this summer to replace cracked ones and was horrified
Assuming you have the Toyota bed rail system, pull that off too. My 21 DC Tundra came without and I was also horrified to see the voids, especially in corners (huge on the cab end) that the bed rail would have covered up when I put the bed rail system on. You just can’t see these with the rails installed from the get go.

trabs00

Assuming you have the Toyota bed rail system, pull that off too. My 21 DC Tundra came without and I was also horrified to see the voids, especially in corners (huge on the cab end) that the bed rail would have covered up when I put the bed rail system on. You just can’t see these with the rails installed from the get go.
I just wish I could replace the whole darn bed and install an enclosed flatbed camper. With the CrewMax short bed it is really not an option

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I’m on the desert side of the PNW with a Jeep JT and an Alu-Cab canopy camper. Rig sits outside 24/7. Been through some really epic rain and never had any water (or dust) in the camper. It’s sealed extremely well. A contributing factor is the tailgate is removed and the camper has an integrated rear door with proper seals. I did sikaflex seams in the bed before installation.

OP, if you haven’t already, you might want to discuss concerns with Super Pacific. To my knowledge the are built in Portland, OR so it seems they would have the constant drizzle on their minds. I would think the main concern is around the tailgate.

trabs00

I’m on the desert side of the PNW with a Jeep JT and an Alu-Cab canopy camper. Rig sits outside 24/7. Been through some really epic rain and never had any water (or dust) in the camper. It’s sealed extremely well. A contributing factor is the tailgate is removed and the camper has an integrated rear door with proper seals. I did sikaflex seams in the bed before installation.

OP, if you haven’t already, you might want to discuss concerns with Super Pacific. To my knowledge the are built in Portland, OR so it seems they would have the constant drizzle on their minds. I would think the main concern is around the tailgate.
Thanks for your experience. Personally I would love to hear from folks with alu-cab canopy campers as well as Hiatus, OVRLDas well. These ones also do offer tailgate removal for rear doors.

I think the OP mostly linked the Super Pacific since they had a video.

There

dstefan

Personally I would love to hear from folks with alu-cab canopy campers as well as Hiatus, OVRLDas well. These ones also do offer tailgate removal for rear doors.
Since you asked:
I get zero leakage of water in heavy rain, or at the car wash (well unless I aim the high pressure directly close to my tailgate/barn door seal).

In cold, wet, and humid places I get condensation on the tent fabric of my Ovrlnd; running the vent fan on low during the night significantly reduces or eliminates it.

The camper walls, roof, and truck bed floor are insulated and if we’re running the heater that pretty much eliminates it. I have been pretty obsessive about sealing for dust which has seemed to eliminate water intrusion.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Thanks for your experience. Personally I would love to hear from folks with alu-cab canopy campers as well as Hiatus, OVRLDas well. These ones also do offer tailgate removal for rear doors.

I think the OP mostly linked the Super Pacific since they had a video.

There
I guess I didn’t address the condensation question. I haven’t done any insulation on my camper, so it’s one big thermal bridge.

Condensation has not been a big deal and easily managed with leaving a window cover or 2 cracked. I added a Dickinson P9000 propane heater this fall and it produces very dry and comfortable heat.

A reminder that the majority of my use has been in a high desert environment. I’ve certainly been out camping in the rain with no issues, but not days of drizzle with no opportunity to dry things out.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Also since they haven’t been mentioned in this thread, AT Overland campers should be on the consideration list, specifically the Atlas and Summit models. I’ve had a chance to crawl around in both and they are mighty impressive. There is an Oregon dealer (Oregon Adventure Trucks) who are solid dudes. I’ve got 2 friends with these, both on the wet side (Eugene & Ferndale) and no issues with the outside weather becoming the inside weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior