Pop up Truck Camper Choices?

ktn00000

Observer
Searching the net, it seems people have Four Wheel campers and either love them or hate them because they leak and rot, people have ATC campers and either love them or hate them because they leak and rot, people have Outfitter campers and either love them or hate them because they leak and rot, people have Phoenix campers and either love them or hate them because they leak and rot, people have Northstar campers and either love them or hate them because they leak and rot, people have Palomino campers and either love them or hate them because they leak and rot.

Everyone seems to love there Hallmark campers. I am having a hard timing finding anyplace on the net where people say there Hallmark leaked and rotted.

I am shopping for a truck camper off road capable for Colorado (I mean real off road, not just driving down dirt roads), four seasons in snow and sub-zero temps, and I do not need a wet bath. I have had a couple of oooold Alaskans in the past. We went and looked at a new Alaskan and were not impressed for the money.

I may not buy for a year or two. I also have a very light weight 15 foot trailer to sell before I buy so it may not happen this year, hopefully next year.

Is my research insufficient or has anyone had a disappointing experience with a Hallmark?

(Bonus for me, Hallmark is local as is Phoenix and Outfitter).

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I would suggest doing some more home work and research and talking with more camper owners before making a decision.

We are going to be at the International Sportsman Show in Denver in 2 weeks with some of our new campers.

Jan. 6th - 9th.

See link here ...

http://www.sportsexpos.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewlocation&locationnumber=3

I'm sure there will be other dealers and other brands there too. Might be a good chance to see several different camper brands under one roof.

I try and stay off the forums for the most part except when I can chime in with some helpful information about our campers.

I have been lurking the forms for quite some time and don't see to many leaker stories.

Are they out there ? YES.

Do people have leaky campers? YES.

Every camper, trailer, or motorhome will eventually leak over the years if not resealed and maintained properly.

If you are looking at older four wheel camper out in Colorado for your comparison, sure they are going to be beat up. When a truck camper is 15 - 25 years old it will start to age. (FWC has not been building campers in Colorado for 15 + years, so most of the campers out there are oldies).

On our new campers we are using a one piece, no seam, no screw roof.

See link here ...

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/onepieceroof.htm

And when it comes to rot, we use, and have always used a welded aluminum frame like no other. You won't every have a dry rotted frame with a FWC over the years.

I'm not trying to sell you on our campers, but telling you on newer campers these days, any manufacturer, the leak problem has probably decreased. I can't speak for all brands, but I think newer campers and better technology over the years has helped most camper manufacturers in this area.

Happy Camping !

:)

Attachments

• P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 128

Rot Box

Explorer
PM turbohaulic for more Hallmark info he is a good friend of mine. His Hallmark leaks, but it has not leaked long enough to rot yet LOL.

In all my years I have seen one pop up camper that does not eventually rot--the fiberglass Alaskans and that's only because they cant rot!

If you want a pop up and expect it to last a long time buy a clean one and keep it indoors when you don't use it. That's the best advice I can give good luck.

Andrew

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My 2000 Northstar has not leaked in ten years. It appears to be a two-piece rubber roof. I have resealed it once,but after our recent deluge here in SoCal it's probably time again. When I hit the lottery it's gonna be an XP Camper next time.

chnlisle

Adventurer
When ALL campers are properly maintained and used as intended they will have a great service life. Just like a home when you see issues and don't address them they have a tendency to get worse. And like a home when your camper has a leak and you don't repair it it will get worse.

All Terrain Campers have the thickest exterior side and roof skin in the industry for a camper of its type. The full size shell model weighs less than 700 pounds and the high grade welded aluminum frame and extra large entry door sets the industry standard and is specifically built for off road adventures.

https://www.allterraincampers.com/uploads/framefull1280x960.JPG

The service is 2nd to none and those who own them love them.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/510/?

ktn00000

Observer
I appreciate all of that; I am still doing my research. You all are dead on right, part of the challenge of doing the research (be it online or talking to owners) is trying to decipher a lack of maintenance from something more structural.

I will be at the Sportsmans Show in Denver; I know several of the manufacturers will be present and I am looking forward to discussing.

I am hoping to make a purchase and be able to keep it 20 years. We always spend a lot of time in our rigs (been to 48 states Mexico and Canada) and spend a lot of time in the mountains here in Colorado and almost all of it is in the backcountry. We do winter camping as well so it truly needs to be a four season rig.

gene

I had a Four Wheel camper I bought years ago. Pictured below. I bought it used in a bit rough shape and did an Alaskan trip with it. No leaks, no problems.

This time around I decided on the ATC and bought a new shell version of the Ocelot model, also pictured below. So far, I am very impressed with its build quality.

I don't think ATC is showing in Colorado. Too bad because their product is excellent, I think they just don't have time as they are heavily back-ordered. Maybe Jay Aronow is showing an ATC, you could ask him (the previous poster).

Attachments

• Oregon780.jpg
    Oregon780.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 113

pods8

Explorer
As already mentioned, although some folks have had little leaks with their ATC/FWC, which are usually fixable you don't really hear much of rot issues out of them in the last decade or two. As stan pointed out the old FWC's you're seeing in CO were made at a different factory and under different ownership than those made today. Some of the older campers had fiberboard under the cabover bed which I've heard to have rotted but they new ones are plywood. My 99' has no issues in that regard. Even the fiber board ones that did rot would have had a small leak that was being ignored. About my only other area of concern would be the lift panels, if a hidden leak was behind them they could have issues before you found it but you don't really hear too much about that so I wouldn't be too worried there. The rest of the frame is all aluminum so no rot issues there. The plywood floor pack is fine as long as you touch up the paint after a decade same as any exterior wood product.

Long story short I wouldn't say outright all FWC/ATC campers leak and rot, sounds more like the exception than the rule to most owners on these forums.

All that said, if you don't like the new Alaskans and are looking for better winter insulation than the soft side pop-ups then maybe check out the XP Camper, but they don't come cheap. If none of those work for you then you might have to bite the bullet and build what you want.

As for hallmarks, I don't have first hand experience but my impression of them wouldn't match up with "serious real offroad" that you desire. They look too bulky/heavy at first pass to me. I don't know of their frames but since they are bulky/heavy I'd be looking really hard at them to make sure they'd hold up to the wear/vibration you'd inflict on them.

Last edited:

bill harr

Adventurer
I am shopping for a truck camper off road capable for Colorado (I mean real off road, not just driving down dirt roads), four seasons in snow and sub-zero temps, and I do not need a wet bath.

I take my 4WC off road not sure if it is a rough as you are looking at but my camper has worked great for me.

Video of where I camp
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJeADuBSP54"]YouTube - MyMovie2[/ame]

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJeADuBSP54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJeADuBSP54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bill in Stockton

rotti

Adventurer
Bought a new FWC in 1983 when they were built in Denver. During the twenty some years I had it I never had any problems with leaks. It had been over just about every 4wd road in CO,WY and MT that I could find.

The only issues I remember having were the rear door falling apart after about 15 yrs and once and awhile having issues with propane at altitude.

To survive off road I would recommend staying with an aluminum frame and stay as light and low profile as possible. The full size FWC weights about 700 lbs and I think the Hallmarks are probably twice that.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Anything that that stays outside in all kinds of weather, is shaken and rattled the way we abuse our campers is eventually going to have a leak--unless you're vigilant about regular maintenance.

If I'd stop bashing my camper into trees I'd probably have fewer problems. But not as much fun :)

phird05

I am one of those guys who absolutely loves his Hallmark Milner LX. No leaks anywhere, no rot, no problems, maintenance free carbon fiber, seamless roof design and I have not had to alter anything about this camper. The service, coupled with the quality of the fixtures and build design far exceeds the countless other manufacturers I looked at before making my decision. I spent two and a half years looking at all of them before I pulled the trigger. I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied with any of the Hallmark designs. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the Hallmark and or my purchasing experience.

Hope this helps!

Good camping.

Paul

Last edited:

Campoffroad

I have been researching this topic for a while as well. It really seems the XP seems to have it all.
I like the storage capacity and for a true overland vehicle this is a must IMO.
No pop up has the ability to carry 80 gallons of water,which enables you stay out longer. Another must IMO.
For short trips this might be overkill, but as a true overland cabin this seems to be the best choice out there.
Having a seamless shell eliminates virtually all leak problems, and this camper doesn't have any wood at all in the construction what I have read.

Campoffroad

I am one of those guys who absolutely loves his Hallmark Milner LX. No leaks anywhere, no rot, no problems, maintenance free carbon fiber, seamless roof design and I have not had to alter anything about this camper. The service, coupled with the quality of the fixtures and build design far exceeds the countless other manufacturers I looked at before making my decision. I spent two and a half years looking at all of them before I pulled the trigger. I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied with any of the Hallmark designs. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the Hallmark and or my purchasing experience.

Hope this helps!

Good camping.

Paul

I seriously doubt that you have a carbon fiber roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle