Portable A/C Unit....Gauging Interest

scotia

JCDriller. Glad to see a functional option for the ducting. Makes good on the DIY. Thank for posting it out here.
And yes, the ac units do hold a bit of water for the condenser fan. To make them a bit more efficient, some of that water is picked up by a slinger ring on the condenser fan. Slings water onto the outside coil to help lower the high pressure side of the system. If not careful when packing back up, you may get a small bath.

JCDriller

Adventurer
JCDriller. Glad to see a functional option for the ducting. Makes good on the DIY. Thank for posting it out here.
And yes, the ac units do hold a bit of water for the condenser fan. To make them a bit more efficient, some of that water is picked up by a slinger ring on the condenser fan. Slings water onto the outside coil to help lower the high pressure side of the system. If not careful when packing back up, you may get a small bath.

Makes since, you could hear the fan hitting the water. It's amazing how much comes out. I feel like I should reclaim it for dishes or something...

scotia

If you boiled it or added a tad of bleach as per water purification standards then I would go for it. Condensate water when "bleached" makes easy water for all kinds of uses. I have, while camping at a beach, collected a 5 gallon buckets worth, added bleach accordingly and showered with it. It all just depends on the humidity leve in your area. Someone in Phoenix may have a hard time collecting any. Here is South Texas on the Third Coast, it's easy to do.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Got my Honda 2200 set up on my trailer, now I can run the AC from anywhere:)

Attachments

• 7134DE24-1F8D-4372-ADFF-ED9D6A68EFC9.jpeg
    7134DE24-1F8D-4372-ADFF-ED9D6A68EFC9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 57666ECA-C884-4305-9302-49523BA77C23.jpeg
    57666ECA-C884-4305-9302-49523BA77C23.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 72

scotia

That is a sweet setup. And I am sure you probably have the Honda locked to the frame and have a cover for it right...

Coachgeo

Explorer
That is a sweet setup. And I am sure you probably have the Honda locked to the frame and have a cover for it right...
May be wrong but looks like that is not the permanent location. Appears it is sitting on a basket with 2" receiver tube hitch so it can be removed. Thus could be when in transport it might actually be stored inside that tongue box or elsewhere. Rain cover for when in use would still be smart though.

Hope that is the case cause where it sits looks like it might could hit the tow vehicle with turning tight corners.

JCDriller

Adventurer
May be wrong but looks like that is not the permanent location. Appears it is sitting on a basket with 2" receiver tube hitch so it can be removed. Thus could be when in transport it might actually be stored inside that tongue box or elsewhere. Rain cover for when in use would still be smart though.

Hope that is the case cause where it sits looks like it might could hit the tow vehicle with turning tight corners.

So much concern... :)

Yes, the generator is locked down using a Lowpro Lockdown locking mount that is permanently attached to a receiver step. The step is locked into a front receiver hitch via a Bolt locking 5/8 pin. It's not going anywhere unless a really motivated individual wants it, however at that point they could likely steal the whole trailer.

The Gen set has a rain cover and with one lock can be removed and stowed inside the trailer if the trail gets too rough. Also, by the time the articulating hitch is added to the tongue my 4R can jack knife without hitting the gen set.

IMG_2580.jpgIMG_2581.jpgIMG_2582.jpgIMG_2583.jpg

J-No

excellent idea.

I zipped through the thread. Maybe I missed it, but can you describe how you ran the venting into the tent? I have a climate right and am looking at a hard sided RTT. Wondering if I should try to run it through the soft top--thinking something like a stove jack from a winter tent vs using climate right adapters through the hard floor of the tent.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

1530125004506.png

1530125125265.png

Choff

Adventurer
Has anyone ducked a remote air conditioner into a Van's rear air conditioners factory rear air tubes with quick disconnect??
I would mount air conditioner on trailer behind van, use shore power or gen for power.

Coachgeo

Explorer
believe this fellows setup puts the ac completely inside the trailer in a cabinet or box.... the metal encasing is to direct the exhausted heat and intake to the outside properly

Coachgeo

Explorer
Has anyone ducked a remote air conditioner into a Van's rear air conditioners factory rear air tubes with quick disconnect??
this thread is probably not best place for this question. This thread is about a particular persons metal shrouding for a different type of mount than your asking about. If you can't find a thread on your topic maybe it is time to start your own? Otherwise... they do sorta similar to what your asking with some tent ac (external ac unit that uses hoses to send in cool air and extract hot air) so it is probably possible... just not common.

Heavyopp

Observer

You are talking when parked right?

I think this guys idea and product might be exactly what you want to do -- remote AC outside, on the ground running of a generator, ducts running into you setup

I don't believe the intention was to have the AC unit inside the tent like suggested above

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears