portable battery with usb, meter, and 12 volt cig plug.

weaselv12

I am just getting into over-landing a bit, my buddy and i are planning on a trip during this upcoming jeep safari in moab going down chickens corners and beyond. this will be our first real trip down a dirt road a day or two away from a city. i am looking at doing a budget setup for a 2nd battery for extra stuff like phones maybe a cheap air pump from walmart for airing up and other little things. i have a 2014 jeep Cherokee TH and i have previously set up a trailer battery to charge off of the trailer connector so i am thinking that i can make a cable to go from the trailer connector to inside the back of the cab to a battery with possibly something like Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center Black ( https://www.amazon.com/Newport-Vess...wport+Vessels+Smart+Battery+Box+Power+Station )
I am looking
for advice on doing a set up like that, i am sure someone has a good set up for something like i want.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I use a 35 amp hour AGM battery for camping; Harbor Freight usually has a 20% off coupon which drops the price of the battery into the 55 -60$ range. I also modified a small Harbor freight inverter to go with the battery giving me a USB charger along with 110 volts AC for the LED tent light(s)... I have been quite happy using these batteries although they are not quite powerful enough to run a 12 volt refrigerator well/more than overnight
DSCF0166.JPG.

Wire any plug you want to the battery... lots of examples of automotive sized batteries in battery boxes and tool boxes are on the internet... decided the box was to bulky so got rid of it and just Velcro-ed the modified inverter to the top of the battery.
Be aware that meters and gauges to register degree of charge typically work best after the battery has stabilized (sat un used/uncharged and undischarged) for 24 hours or so.
I recharge using an automotive smart charger , or occasionally using a small solar setup; although it can be recharged, with care, from any 12 volt vehicle.
This powers tent lights and stereo for 3-5 days pretty easily (your power usage will determine your recharge interval).
Enjoy!

edit; if you have way more money than skill check out/google Goal zero and Arkpak...

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Chicken Corners is a fun area unless it is raining heavy, we used to leave the Jeep in camp and drive the tow rigs out there, make sure you visit the cool rock formations that look like caves in some spots.

Last edited:

inexplorata

I used that exact battery box before I installed my aux battery, it lives on a trickle charger for backup-backup at home now. It's well-made and will still be useful later, is what I mean, and an easy entry into the world of second battery experimentation.

PhulesAU

Explorer
The other guys have covered batteries, SO I suggest you bite the bullet and get a good compressor. keep it dry and use it every couple months and it'll last for years. if you really are depending on cell service , a small foldable solar panel that can be thrown on the dash or packed up to the top of the hill is a good idea. They are enough to usb charge a phone and almost no weight penalty.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The other guys have covered batteries, SO I suggest you bite the bullet and get a good compressor. keep it dry and use it every couple months and it'll last for years. if you really are depending on cell service , a small foldable solar panel that can be thrown on the dash or packed up to the top of the hill is a good idea. They are enough to usb charge a phone and almost no weight penalty.

Cheaper to buy a second battery for the phone but may not even need that, when placed on airplane mode and only used once or twice a day to check on things most phones will last 5-6 days.

ridendude

I am just getting into over-landing a bit, my buddy and i are planning on a trip during this upcoming jeep safari in moab going down chickens corners and beyond. this will be our first real trip down a dirt road a day or two away from a city. i am looking at doing a budget setup for a 2nd battery for extra stuff like phones maybe a cheap air pump from walmart for airing up and other little things. i have a 2014 jeep Cherokee TH and i have previously set up a trailer battery to charge off of the trailer connector so i am thinking that i can make a cable to go from the trailer connector to inside the back of the cab to a battery with possibly something like Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center Black ( https://www.amazon.com/Newport-Vess...wport+Vessels+Smart+Battery+Box+Power+Station )
I am looking
for advice on doing a set up like that, i am sure someone has a good set up for something like i want.

I realize that you mentioned that you are on a budget, and depending on how much off grid time you end up spending, https://www.arkportablepower.com may be a good option for you. The benefits being that it is already self contained with some great technology in it, portable, the battery itself can be replaced with whatever you can fit in there and, of course manufacturer support.
We have been using one for 3 years now and it's been great.
Cheers and welcome.

PhulesAU

Explorer
My was less than a battery pack. and we must remember to PUT phone in that mode..... I've seen people who've never heard of that mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179