Portable Flooring for Campsite - what are you using?

Bombsight

Observer
I bought some 24"x24"x1/4" rubber mats which "Tab lock" together from a local hardware Co.

I then built an aluminum diamond plate box for them (15 count - 6x10 sq. ft.) which will be bolted via wingnuts to a Moby 1 XTR right fender (next to ladder).

Pics to come ..

I plan on using it for various applications such as a "trail" from shower/porta potti area to cabin doors and other times as a "living area" under a Coleman fold-away table.... just to mention a couple of applications.

What are you guys using as portable flooring?
Mats, tarps, Aluminum, cloth, plastic .... Shoes?

JPNCA

Adventurer
We use one of those plastic green grass like roll up tarp things for the tent trailer
Although back country trips I use the ground like UK4X4 said

alia176

Explorer
I use the rubberized floor mats for shower duties primarily. Grab them both from the front and work out quite well.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I've discovered mesh tarps. Allows water to penetrate, which is nice for shower area, but also in that the tarp can be larger than the tent - and doesn't puddle underneath. In sand, it helps keep feet from tracking as much sand into the tent almost like a door mat (it's not perfect, but a lot better than walking thru sand right into the tent). Can set things on it without them getting quite as dirty, and without as much worry about rain, etc. Tad bit more expensive than regular tarps, but so far worth it.

Last edited:

MrCyrus16

Observer
That IS really nice!
How heavy is each square? Could they be used in loose sand?

Thanks

They can since they lock together, I've put a folded tarp under them in loose dirt/sand to help them from sinking in. I've never weighed them but I'd guess that the 9 pack comes in at approx 10-15lbs. I can weigh them when I get home if you want but their really not that bad considering how tough they are. We just used them again this past weekend with no issues, def worth the cost IMO.

Bombsight

Observer
They can since they lock together, I've put a folded tarp under them in loose dirt/sand to help them from sinking in. I've never weighed them but I'd guess that the 9 pack comes in at approx 10-15lbs. I can weigh them when I get home if you want but their really not that bad considering how tough they are. We just used them again this past weekend with no issues, def worth the cost IMO.
Thanks ... just a guess is good enough. I'm going to look at these closer because they are lighter than what I'm using ... it sounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears