Portable hot water shower and toilet

fg4oz

Adventurer
Hi all. Up to now we have avoided a hot water system in our set up as well as a toilet. We are heading west in winter and looking for a better system. Firstly hot water shower... Visited the camping show at Nambour today and saw the weekend warrior (great set up by ATW). Running the joolca hot tap as were a couple other camper makers. However there was only one supplier (waterttek) displaying theirs. Keen to know if anyone has had experience with these as they seem simple and great for setting up camp for a couple of weeks.

Next topic is the loo... Always camped with a simple public toilet close by or taken a shovel. Travelling with two girls it's looking like we need to upgrade from the shovel. I've had no experience with portable toilets. It won't be mounted in the camper. We just have a simple slide on set up for our tray. Keen to hear what others are using, we don't want a crap one (bad pun).

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Don't have much info on the shower, as ours is built in, but we've had great results with a 7-gallon bucket and lid like this and use the "double-duty" bags in them. The 7 gallon buckets are just a little taller than the normal 5 gallon versions. The bags are good for a few uses each normally from the females in the group. That is always a judgement call though.

-

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Ben,

Did you take any pics of the new Weekend Warrior? Maybe drop them in the ATWCamper thread if you did please.

Hope you and family are well. Sorry I didn't get back to your campsite before you left. It was a bit hectic towards the end of the holidays .....
Kind regards John

glenm64

Have a look on Myswag forum, Bart from Joolca has a thread on there, answering questions and lots of feed back from happy customers there
They look like a good bit of kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raker

Observer
2016-02-01 16.31.25.jpg I just use one of these. Runs on LPG, costs around $200 BUT is a portable outside shower. NOT to be used in an enclosed space. 12v pump to run it cost me $36.00. Winter setting up to 50 degrees C and summer setting 40C.

Fugly

Adventurer
fg4oz,
Have you had a look at the" Air Head "
A few of the blokes have them fitted ....
The Air Head is a composting toilet check them out ....
Iain on the Mercades Benz thread has one fitted in his Unimog ?..
Spudboy has one fitted in his truck ...
There is a thread in Other Custom I think where a bloke has a write up on them....
Just a thought .....

Cheers Fugly

john lovett

Observer
I have installed the Joolca Hot tap. It works well, is made in Australia and the tech support is excellent.
I plumbed it in permanently rather than using it as an external shower.

https://rollingstudio.wordpress.com/2016/04/13/hot-water/

hot-water2.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Next topic is the loo... [...] It won't be mounted in the camper. We just have a simple slide on set up for our tray. Keen to hear what others are using, we don't want a crap one (bad pun).

We do the same, and love our portable toilets.

We started with a Thetford 135 that was small enough to fit between the front seats of the van:
IMG_20141116_150920.jpg

The "cap" on it served to strap it down during driving (and made a nice center console), then doubled as a riser to get it up to a more useful height. The downside of the 135 is that the waste tank was tiny at 2gallons. With 2 adults and 1 child, it barely made it through 3-day weekends in the desert.

So.... when I built new cabinetry for the fridge, etc. in the van, I made sure to leave a space big enough to put a much larger portable. I currently use a Dometic with a 5 gallon tank, and it's awesome. The box is built large enough that I can also fit a Thetford 550 which has a 5.5gal tank.
dometic-potti.gif

The only toilet I couldn't fit is the Thetford Curve (also 5.5gal), but a little too tall for the cabinet I could build. The Curve is the Cadillac of portables. It sits at normal toilet height and is super comfortable. (Though my Dometic is very nice as well, and due to the way I have it mounted to slide-out onto the tilt-down cabinet door, it sits very close to household toilet height also.

We've never had any smell issues with either of our toilets, and you'll note that they ride inside the van with us. (And with the new cabinet sits right at the foot of the lower bed!) Biggest issue is the sound of the fresh-water flush tanks "sloshing" on rough roads. Generally, the portables are very easy to empty into any standard toilet (or vault, etc.). There's always an "anti-glug" valve of some type (differs with manufacturer) that keeps everything from splashing, and the rotating dump tube is very convenient. I generally add water and "swish" for one rinse and a second pour, and I'm done. You'll want to use one of the many commercial RV waste tank chemicals sold as "deodorizers" that serve the vastly more important task of breaking down the solid waste so it "pours" well. There are a variety of brands and formulas. I've used the Thetford name brand stuff as well as whatever they sell at Wal-Mart, all work fine for me. Similarly, you'll want to use TP that breaks down relatively easily in liquid. Either name brand "RV" paper, or septic-safe paper is generally fine. This is especially true if you know you'll be dumping in a septic system (i.e. at home) or if you want maximum flexibility for dumping on the road. (I would consider it very rude to dump my tank with non-septic-safe paper into someone's toilet that went into a septic field, for example.)

Note that the one downside of a huge waste tank is that you need to be able to carry and pour 40lbs of crap. (Literally.) If lifting/carrying 40-45 pounds will be hard for you, then you'll want to opt for the smaller tank or dump before you're full.

Lastly, there are all the "creature comforts". The most basic models have no tank gauge and a simple bellows pump for the flush water. In the middle range you get a tank gauge and some sort of pressurized flush pump (either manual or battery powered). At the top-end they're generally all battery-flush, etc. Some models (usually labelled "marine") also include hold-down brackets if you desire to actually fasten it down to something. I just put it in a latching cabinet, since you'd have to release the hold-down brackets to dump it anyhow.

Hope that helps.

Gunner207

Observer
Check out the laveo dry flush toilet. No odor, no holding tank, easy to empty. About 500 bucks. I have one ordered for my compact slide in camper build for my 2014 f150 super crew.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Karl of Oz

Observer
Hi fg4oz,
I have a 10 lpm gas hot water unit I bought off e-bay (a dodgy one made in China without any apparent certification). It has worked very well for years. I got the bigger 10 litre unit because it handles a higher flow rate 9i.e the garden tap). I know the one you saw on ATW's weekend warrior and saw it being demonstrated at the Sydney show 2 weeks back. It works very well and is much smaller than my old one. I think it would be a 6 lpm unit which is fine. It is AGA approved for use in Australia. There are several such units on the market, you cant go wrong with any of them so long as they have that approval. One thing I did get for mine was a quick release connection for the gas hose. This came from Bunnings and had an Australian AGA approval on it but I haven't seen them on the shelves lately.
Regarding the loo......I have used a Thetford 465e 20 litre portable for a while. The "e" stands for electric as it has a push button pump. I keep it in our boat when travelling but it gets heavy after use and that makes it hard to get in and out of the old boat. Recently I had a failure of the pump and had to resort to the old stick method. I was able to diagnose that the 6 volt motor had rusted out. Seems after a few years it got water in it or something. I have replaced this with a Jaycar motor of the same dimensions and specs.
The worst bit is that it will fall upon you to empty it! At times in the early days I felt like Chevy chase until I discovered the pressure relief button that stops it glugging and splashing when emptying. They can only be emptied in a normal toilet (at home but stinks the joint out for a while), in a big hole in the ground if desperate, or in dedicated dump points. Be ware of these dump points, I have seen a lot of types using the hose to stick it into their toilet, transferring contamination to the tap handle and so on, then getting in their vehicle and driving off (hate to think what bugs are on the steering wheel). After seeing this more than once I now wear disposable gloves, changing them regularly during the various steps, and wash my hands from my own water supply with help so as not to contaminate anything. Maybe I'm a germaphobe!
I am now moving to a ceramic bowel fixed unit in my new camper/motor home which should be a bit better. If I wasn't doing that I was considering trying to make a system up that utilised a ceramic bowel maserating marine type toilet but would have to find a tank for it.
The above is just my experiences and thoughts. Maybe just a cheap smaller capacity type from BCF will do you 9less weight to carry). One thing though.....draw a roster up as to who takes turns in emptying it and establish this early!

fg4oz

Adventurer
Thanks Karl. Yes Chevy chase! Great points and we will probably load up the truck at the next camping show in Brisbane in June before we head out west. We now know what to look out for thanks to everyone's tips and tricks.
Ben.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger