Portable power for ARB Fridge.

adio3x

Observer
I'm heading out to Moab in the spring just for a few days, but I would like to run some sort of portable power for an ARB either 37 or 50 qrt fridge.

I was looking at one of these, now correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this whole solar power world. Can I run a Goal Zero Extreme 350 kit to power a ARB fridge? Is it easy as just mounting those solar panels to my roof rack and running the cables to the power pack, than plugging that into the fridge? I don't need it to run 12 hours straight.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

~Andrew

roamingaz

Explorer
I am trying to decide the same thing because the Goal Zero is a nice portable package but I think I am going with a national luna power pack with a die hard marine battery 100 amp hour. The Goal Zero only has 33 amp hour batteries and it will run the fridge for a while but not for extended trips with out a recharge and it takes 6-12 hours to recharge using 2 of the 30 watt solar panels.
Goal Zero does have a new larger portable model called the Yeti that is pretty awesome but it is also much bigger and heavier then the 350.

dstock

Explorer
I am looking at these options as well for my Jeep JK, including the new Goal Zero Yeti, but the weight of the Yeti is pretty substantial, 110 lbs. I believe.

My thoughts are a hard wire dual battery system (under hood and out of the way), the national luna power pack option, or something Goal Zero oriented.
The dual battery under the hood install seems the cleanest option but then carrying the extra weight 24/7 seems unnecessary. The removable options take up valuable cargo space and are more easily stolen when running with the soft top.
Full solar seems like you would need to set out a pretty large panel which isn't always an option.

I'm curious to see what others come up with...

adio3x

Observer
I am trying to decide the same thing because the Goal Zero is a nice portable package but I think I am going with a national luna power pack with a die hard marine battery 100 amp hour. The Goal Zero only has 33 amp hour batteries and it will run the fridge for a while but not for extended trips with out a recharge and it takes 6-12 hours to recharge using 2 of the 30 watt solar panels.
Goal Zero does have a new larger portable model called the Yeti that is pretty awesome but it is also much bigger and heavier then the 350.

I think thats fine with me. Theres just enough room to fit 2 solar panels in back section of my Gobi rack on my 4runner. Yea I looked into the Yeti, 110 lbs is rediculous, I think the 350 extreme will do the job.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
The G0 350 kit boils down to only a 33amp Hour battery and a 30w solar panel, that's not enough to keep up with a fridge. It's not really enough to do anything except charge some portable devices. I would suggest looking at around 100Ah in a battery, and 80w solar to run a fridge. You could very easily buy the items for under $400.

100Ah Marine battery, $70
80w solar panel, $100 --OR-- 2x 40w solar ~$150 --OR-- 4x 20w solar (easier to store smaller panels, 80w panel is very large)
Charge Controller, $40.
Wiring & fuses, $50.
+ Inverter if you want 110v

I just noticed the "The Extreme 350 Explorer Kit", is 80w solar with 33amp Hour, that would do the job. Forget the above.

Last edited:

ssssnake529

Explorer
I have the National Luna Power Pack.

I can recharge it in my vehicle, or I can use a Brunton Solar panel to keep it going in sunny weather. Has been a good portable option for me.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
The G0 350 kit boils down to only a 33amp Hour battery and a 30w solar panel, that's not enough to keep up with a fridge. It's not really enough to do anything except charge some portable devices. I would suggest looking at around 100Ah in a battery, and 80w solar to run a fridge. You could very easily buy the items for under $400.

100Ah Marine battery, $70
80w solar panel, $100 --OR-- 2x 40w solar ~$150 --OR-- 4x 20w solar (easier to store smaller panels, 80w panel is very large)
Charge Controller, $40.
Wiring & fuses, $50.
+ Inverter if you want 110v

I just noticed the "The Extreme 350 Explorer Kit", is 80w solar with 33amp Hour, that would do the job. Forget the above.

What Marine battery do you suggest that cost $70?

I was thinking about attempting to power my small trailer with this Goal Zero Extreme 350 kit, but now I'm thinking it won't be enough if I want the fridge to run off it also. I was really attracted to the Goal Zero Eqiupment because it's "plug and play".

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
What Marine battery do you suggest that cost $70?

I was thinking about attempting to power my small trailer with this Goal Zero Extreme 350 kit, but now I'm thinking it won't be enough if I want the fridge to run off it also. I was really attracted to the Goal Zero Eqiupment because it's "plug and play".

I picked up a wallmart branded G27 marine battery (actual manufacturer will depend on state you live in I believe). It's been running my fridge for 2 years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears