Portable Propane water heater inside RV

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I'm thinking about installing a portable tankless, instant propane water heater in my small truck camper. I see folks cautioning about the effects of a propane flame in an enclosed space. But these water heaters are not producing a flame anywhere near as long as a propane cooking stove, yet no one cautions about cooking a stew for hours on the stove.....What say the forum?

lost1

I pondered your point about propane in an enclosed space. My non-vented camplux portable water heater located in my camper bathroom consumes marginally more propane than my 2 non-vented stove rounds.
I wouldn't say "don't" but I would definitely take precautions. Propane in high concentrations displaces oxygen. You may not even know that you are being suffocated...
Unvented tankless water heaters put out alot of heat and humidity. If you can open a window or install a small remote fan, this should help in maintaining oxygen levels.I did install a decent propane gas detector (it has never made a peep for either the stove or tankless heater).

Having said this, I hate the camplux and it broke down after only a few uses. The majority of portable tankless heaters are cheaply built. Many people have been using them in everything from tiny homes to vanlife. I have seen pics of failed units and the damage they have caused.

lost1

Manufacturers will say no as it is the simplest and safest answer given the manifest ways that people will try and use the thing indoors.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
"The majority of portable tankless heaters are cheaply built."

I have the heater already and I've been using it for over 4 years with a roof top tent. Works great. I still try to understand how we can have two or three stove top burners on for an hour or more and no one
comments on O depletion or other hazards. No way will a tankless heater be on that long....I dont get it. Maybe the manufacturers caution is just CYA?

carleton

I can't speak for anyone else......but I generally only have 1 burner going with an accumulated time of 45 minutes, more likely 1/2 hour. I don't know anyone slow braising short rib over their stove in their camper.
For those 45 minutes I've got a window open and the fan going.
If that is what you are planning, you will probably be fine.

Propane combustion also produces water vapor, which I would imagine would also apply to your water heater, which also needs ventilation to blow out of your vehicle.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The big danger is carbon monoxide poisoning. Often called "sleeping death", for good reason.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Rbertalotto

Explorer
This article says a proper propane flame foes not produce carbon monoxide….

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
"The majority of portable tankless heaters are cheaply built."

I have the heater already and I've been using it for over 4 years with a roof top tent. Works great. I still try to understand how we can have two or three stove top burners on for an hour or more and no one
comments on O depletion or other hazards. No way will a tankless heater be on that long....I dont get it. Maybe the manufacturers caution is just CYA?
No one has an honest answer.
Often wonder why truck camper manufacturers install 3 burner w/wo ovens cook tops..
waste of space.

86scotty

Cynic
I have an honest answer which emcompasses thrift, value and common sense:

- I'll use any propane or other fuel appliance wherever I need to knowing that it's a bad idea to do so in an enclosed space without open air space above and proper ventilation.
- But I won't go to sleep with one running which produces any trace of CO and I keep CO/propane detectors in my rigs.
- And I wouldn't buy one of these tankless propane pieces of garbage. I tried a couple, barely got below freezing and the paper thin innards busted.

simple

Adventurer
We find this handy:

View attachment 810070
This brings up a good point about some RV designs being so sealed that CO2 levels could get dangerously high just from people breathing.

Regarding the portable water heater. They say no to be on the safe side because it's not designed to be used in doors and has a high risk of being dangerous. I'm also sure it's possible to come up with some work arounds for proper ventilation and exhaust heat isolation to make it doable.

For occasional indoor/outdoor showering I'll toot the horn of boiling a kettle of water and mixing it in a bucket 1:3 with cold water and using a submersible pump shower to rinse off. A collapsible bucket is handy for saving space.

Last edited:

Trail Talk

This brings up a good point about some RV designs being so sealed that CO2 levels could get dangerously high just from people breathing.

We've been using it for a couple of years and were initially shocked how rapidly CO2 climbs with the propane burner going. Cross-ventilation, with the roof fan running, is a must to keep within healthy levels while cooking. And you are right, with all windows closed even normal breathing of two people inside our cabin will elevate CO2 in just minutes. For winter travel, the air monitor is equally useful to keep condensation in check. Its a conundrum; trying to keep the heat in while expelling CO2 and moisture. I'm hoping Heat Recovery Ventilators will eventually make their way into mainstream RV applications.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior