Portable Propane water heater inside RV

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
So a curious guy asks members for advice/ideas…
(it’s a big reason we have/use this forum)

Folks promptly/helpfully chime in, in response.
(see above)

Wise guys feel compelled to add their mockery.
(still on the fence @ this, does this drag down the forum or make it more entertaining?)

But in the end, it’s simply just another example of the risk vs reward analysis we often need to wade through, no?

How much of a hassle/expense would it require to make a certain situation a bit better/safer versus how much of a PITA/greater burden is reasonable to make that extra effort/cost worthwhile?

Ultimately it’s a personal decision of course, but hopefully clarified by the additional advice/information obtained.

86scotty

Cynic
Wise guys feel compelled to add their mockery.
(still on the fence @ this, does this drag down the forum or make it more entertaining?)

Well, Guy, you forced me to go back and read the entire thread which I hadn't in awhile. I'm obviously one of the wise guys you were meaning so I'll clarify. I was both kidding around and serious. And I'm in agreement that snarky comments on a forum can be a drag or amusing, depending on the writer, reader or time of day. I'd have to say, for myself, that anyone who knows me knows I'm rarely serious and cynical by nature (see signature/avatar) but I do try to help when needed. So, as stated, I was both kidding and serious.

For anyone not willing to take some risk for reward I would honestly recommend staying away from RV's in general. Seriously, they may seem safe but they really aren't. Just like boats or small planes.

My honest advice to the OP would be to not run a propane fired tankless HWH in a closed up camper for a few reasons but outside or with doors open I would, and have no problem with it. And my advice, like yours, would be to not only have one CO/propane detector but probably two. I have one in my current small van but I have had a couple in bigger rigs.

Also, I am trying to get away from propane in my rig in general. In my latest build I have a propane stove only and run it on a small tank with shut off valve closed when not in use. No fixed propane lines for me anymore.

🍻

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I can't believe there are people in this thread saying "just go for it" when it comes to running a 30k BTU LPG burner in an enclosed space. That irresponsible and stupid. And I'll call it out every time. Don't do it. Period.

86scotty

Cynic
I can't believe there are people in this thread saying "just go for it" when it comes to running a 30k BTU LPG burner in an enclosed space. That irresponsible and stupid. And I'll call it out every time. Don't do it. Period.

I don't think there is one person who has said just go for it. Perhaps you should read back through the responses. I just did.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I don't think there is one person who has said just go for it. Perhaps you should read back through the responses. I just did.

Nonsense. You are being obtuse. Other than your rather dismissive post:

"624÷320,000,000=?%. CO death paranoia is low on my priority list."

"Anytime someone mentions the word propane, everyone suddenly dies all the time. The guy wants to heat some water - not run the car in the garage and take a nap"

"to the OP:
Do NOT heat water in your camper. YOU WILL DIE!
Do NOT use intelligence to stay alive YOU WILL "

"Sheesh. Better odds of an accident within 5 miles of home than CO poisoning and death while snoozing in the bush."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior