Portrait Shots (show us your best)

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Eric, All of these portraits are great. Educate me from your artistic perspective. Obviously you intentionally framed the shots to not include the tops of their heads. What is the motivation to do this? Like I said, I like them all but I am not very experienced in portrait shooting so I am interested in different approaches. Thanks.

It's a perspective, though I constantly wonder if it's artistic. What you're seeing here in composing these shots is a design principle of closure, a Gestalt principle. The notion is that the viewer can fill in the blanks on cropping off the head, knowing full well that the rest of the head is there (unless we're talking about Hannibal).

My composition influences, the motivation, come from my motion picture background, documentary work where the talking head establishes the story foundation. Close is where the non-verbals start to shine, so I'd start with an establish shot (headroom, bust) and work to a close-up (top of the shoulders to crop into the top of the head to punch the eyes). it's the close-up where we find details of the soul. Were these shots composed cropping above the shoulder line to the neck they'd look funny, decapitated, and that only works in France. In fact, most compositions that crop at the human body's natural truncation (any joint; wrists, elbows, hips, knees) will suggest amputation more than it will art. Of course, there's an exception to every rule.

Contrast is the other big driver in these shots, not just in exposure, but in texture as well. All said, though, it's the faces that make these appealing, the expression, the structure, the backstory in their eyes. Save for the old guy, the rest were students of mine. I had the luxury of having a studio in my classroom and whenever I'd come across a student with unusual aesthetics, I'd ask to photograph them, plop them in the hot seat and fire away.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
And thanks, Pat and Nathan. This whole thread has amazed me with the incredible work posted. Some interesting common denominators among overland enthusiasts.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Being from a more electronic/computer background I find this world fascinating. You obviously have a great eye for it. Well done.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Brad, background notwithstanding, you have an impeccable eye, one that comes naturally. You've combined that with a keen sense of shutter and composition and your results are stunning. I've trolled your galleries, evidence of your gift.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Eric was talking about seeing into one's soul. Dose this count?

Ghost-2-XL.jpg

:xxrotflma

photoman

Explorer
Awesome to see more photographers posting there stuff. Love looking at all the talent and different styles here on Expo!!

Here are a couple more from my last shoot. I need to book some more paying gigs but the heat here in AZ sucks for portraits.

i-KSL9tgV-L.jpg

i-qsPfjV6-L.jpg

i-D7K6DLG-L.jpg

i-cm9RN4h-L.jpg

taco2go

Explorer
Aaron and Imnosaint, those are outstanding sets !

Trevor I can see your artisitic signature in all of those photographs- With my job, I don't think I will ever be able to segue into event/people pictures, but the desire is there- especially for freezing moments like this :)

Feel like I've been doing nothing 'but' portraiture of late.

i-MQrM7gr-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger