Possible alternate super single tyre?

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/bridgestone-m857

Assuming you could find appropriately rated 15" rims can anyone see an issue using this tyre in 8.25R15? Its load rating is 141 (2575Kgs) which is seems high enough and the outside diameter is 845mm which is within 50mm of the stock size, therefore no speedo adjustment required?

(its been 12 months+ since I looked into tyres so I might have forgotten another ADR that applies)

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Can anyone see any issues with Mullin 17.5 x 6.75 steel wheels @ 2500Kg rating with either M729 (245/45/17.5, 2240kg load - https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/bridgestone-m729 ) or LM509 (235/45/17.5, 2725kg - http://www.spidergt.com.au/product/lm-508/ ). Both of those tyres have an OD the same or just larger than the stock wheels so shouldn't require engineer approval? I'm leaning toward the lm508 as its slightly more aggressive.

17.5 is looking attractive because there are a bunch of tyres available, although not too many rated over 2280Kgs at the moment. A few tyre places have said now that 10Ton Hinos and other medium trucks are moving to 17.5 there should be more choices in the future. I found quite a few 17.5s with the right load rating available in Europe and the US, some with more off roady tread that whats available here but I'm not sure I could be bothered importing.

Thoughts?

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I found some BLING wheels in 17.5 x 6.75 (2500KG DOT stamp)

17.5x6.75.jpg

With these 235/70/17.5 143 (2725KG) tyres

lm509.jpg

Given that we're probably going to do 98% of our travel on road and 2% off road and on sand , would something like this be suitable? My thoughts are it removes the dual wheels , it brings the front and back roughly into the same track, it meets the load and rolling diameter regulations for our tyre placard, it increases our floatation and it'll only cost $2800 all in.

I realise its not going to be as good as ATWs 19.5s with the higher diameter tyre and lower revs or have the wide tyre choices that 16/17" rims bring but I can put the $$$ saved into a front LSD and a lot of diesel.

Thoughts?

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I couldn't quite work it out. They're supposed to be direct replacements for the 17.5s fitted to these trucks. They're available locally so I was planning to drive the truck over and fit one up to check clearance and offset.

alan

Explorer
I couldn't quite work it out. They're supposed to be direct replacements for the 17.5s fitted to these trucks. They're available locally so I was planning to drive the truck over and fit one up to check clearance and offset.

The offset looks completely wrong for a canter and 2500kg rating i doubt very much.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
My bad, I was confusing it with another 17.5 wheel I'd found. That particular one is stamped 5070lbs (2300KG) Offset is 135mm I believe, but i'll confirm tomorrow.

Thespoon

Observer

Yes they are direct replacements……for the original steel wheels…….not meant to be used as singles…….used as duals on the back…..as it says direct replacement for the steel wheels !

Regards

Adrian

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I was hoping the 21mm or so of thickness in the disc would work like a spacer on the rear ? I measured my steel wheel at 8mm or so.
In previous threads John had mentioned tour companies operating standard wheels as singles on the rear on the beach but said they were constantly breaking rims, perhaps a stronger forged alloy wheel like this would be ok? Its stamped 2300KG, I only "need" 1200KG as we're 4.5t, but the tyre placard says 2240Kg (4480 for the axle) .
Or am I missing something that makes a "super single" a super single other than the load rating? (entirely possible!)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
One thing to take into account is that a rim with the "standard" offset has a pretty deep dish. If that were fitted on the rear, as a single, there would be quite a lot of load on the bearings.
Singles with modified offsets still increase the bearing load on the rear, but the standard offset would be even worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears