Possible alternative to action packer??

poriggity

Explorer
Ok, so after some thinking, I want to condense all my kitchen camp stuff into one bin, so I can grab it and go. Of course, I looked at action packer, and they are nice, but then I ran across these husky totes at home depot. They have a 20 gal and 30 gal I would get the 30 gal, and the price point is right at 24.95... any thoughts on it? Looks decent especially for the price.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-30-Gal-Storage-Tote-17200554/204774808

a92c88578c5c4530ba3aa425ea96f9b5.jpg

4f6e56573e7197aa036b52881b349d89.jpg

ab2ef6950e21b3ca2fc39aa6d77fe645.jpg

The thing I like is it offers hinged clasps, so you can either take the lid completely off, or just release 2 on each side, and the ones holding the lid act as a hinge...

If no one has one, I'll have to just go pick one up and review it.

Last edited:
I went to Lowes the other day looking for action stackers but they don't seem to be carrying them anymore. I'd like know what happens with those from HD. I want to move away from my heavy military aluminum Hartigg cases. Although probably bear proof they're kinda heavy and have some seriously tight clamps.

poriggity

Explorer
I went to Lowes the other day looking for action stackers but they don't seem to be carrying them anymore. I'd like know what happens with those from HD. I want to move away from my heavy military aluminum Hartigg cases. Although probably bear proof they're kinda heavy and have some seriously tight clamps.
I of course posted this on AAV as well.. I have no issue with buying one and reviewing it once I get it...

tarditi

Explorer
Looks great! I have some small action packers that are suitable, but the 30 seems like a good alternative in that size.

poriggity

Explorer
The feedback I've seen about using action packers is that it sucks to dug through them to find what you need. I usually setup camp and my kitchen on my table, and leave it there all weekend, so I wouldn't really need to dig through it much.... I'm thinking i might try it. Worst case scenario, I hate it, and I use the bin for storage around the house, and figure out another camp kitchen box.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
They look good. Will they support much weight? In other words are they sturdy enough to sit on or stand on?
If left outside overnight, will they keep out bugs/insects and or rain?

poriggity

Explorer
They look good. Will they support much weight? In other words are they sturdy enough to sit on or stand on?
If left outside overnight, will they keep out bugs/insects and or rain?
That I'm unsure of. I'm gonna see if I can get some specs on this box and see what it'll do. It does look just as sturdy as the action packer, but I'm not sure if it really is.

rayra

Expedition Leader
They're certainly using the action packer color scheme, aren't they. Sturdiness is the key question / issue. The action packers are sturdy enough to sit on, which is no small consideration.
I've used Sterlite's plastic footlockers for carrying / organizing gear but they aren't sturdy enough to sit on, nor are they insect / ant proof. They have vent slots in the fingertip area of the handles. They're in about the same price range. If these new containers are more sturdy I'd certainly consider upgrading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears