Possible DIY offroad vehicle?

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
http://oxgvt.com/the-ox-all-terrain-vehicle/

There's no four wheel drive but it claims not to need it (doubt that). It comes in a flat pack box and can be assembled in 12 hours. No details on pricing yet but aimed at developing countries. Possible to put 4wd in it? Already diesel. Might be promising for would be adventures on a shoestring budget.

ExDementia

Adventurer
"The OX has been specifically designed to perform as well as, or better than, a four-wheel drive vehicle, while offering low cost and durable mobility."

Uh, no.

Very cool concept, though. I just wish they didn't have this ridiculous vendetta against 4WD, because a 4x4 version would be amazing. I know that conflicts with their flat floor/frame design, but they could make it work.

Seriously, that terrain comparison chart is just cringe worthy. I can't stand it when companies throw out all semblance of reality just because their product conflicts with it. I'm sure they really do believe those things.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I noticed that as well. The chart just made no sense with no data whatsoever. But a 4x4 based on this concept by someone with some common sense might be pretty handy.

stevec

Adventurer
The OX is driven by two wheels, which allows a great deal more ground clearance

Stock tires are 205/80R16, about a 29" tire, yet ground clearance is only 250mm (a little over 6"). I think even Subaru's have better ground clearance.

I don't think these are designed as an "offroad" vehicle, but rather a smaller, yet high capacity cargo vehicle for deliveries in countries with poor roads. It would take a lot of work to make one "trail-worthy", and in doing so would negate the benefits of the vehicle in stock form. A better option for overlanding would be the '86-'91 Suzuki Carry. It can be found with 4WD, factory locking rear diff, and has better ground clearance than the Ox with the stock 5.00-12 (22") tires.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ I'm with you, I'd rather have a kei truck that has a heater and ac stock. Tons of configurations too, rwd, fwd, and awd. Lots of options where engine is mounted too. Dump beds, mini vans, you name it. Most all the brands make them (Nissan, Subaru, honda, etc) and the ox looks like it was modeled after them anyway. I've had a few friends import them before and apparently the daihatsu hijet is the one to get, however if you want it street legal I think the carry is the one to get cause the older ones have the standardized (round vs odd shaped composite style) headlights that can be swapped out for dot legal ones. Either way they are cool little rigs.

Sorry if I missed it, but how much is the ox setup?

94toy22re

Observer
It looks like it's front wheel drive, since you can't have a true locker on your steering axle what's the point of this? Might as well buy a 1980 dodge caravan and lift it and you have the same thing!

Ryan Barnes

Observer
It looks like something the guys from Top Gear made from a scrap heap build-off challenge. Then they'd drive it around with pieces falling off as they go.

rruff

Explorer
Stock tires are 205/80R16, about a 29" tire, yet ground clearance is only 250mm (a little over 6"). I think even Subaru's have better ground clearance.

250mm is 9.8".

I like the concept of a cheap, simple, light, rugged vehicle. But there is a reason why we never see something like this in the US. Regulations would kill it.

Transmission.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears