Post build ..uh.. build thread.

java

Expedition Leader
Nice! I put a set under the edge of my truck, just around the stair area. I love it for low level lighting that doesn't kill your night vision.

chet6.7

Explorer
Nice,I need to do that too.I lost my stock rear tailgate cam when I added the shell,I just recently found a cam that plugs into the stock harness,it's nice to have the cam back,just need some lights now.
Good to see you posting.

ericvs

Steering upgrades - Part 1 of 2
I have needed ball joints and tie rod ends for some time also the steering gear box has been 'seeping' since I have owned the truck, so I figured I would spend all the money and fix it all at once.
The list was long, the parts arrived and there were lots of them and it took a long time to install it all without a lift. Enjoy the few pictures I took.

jVA83Gvh.jpg

all of the parts!

nexCndrh.jpg

got it moved all inside

wmMb3AUh.jpg

08 Mopar steering upgrade + new pitman arm

9fnWXhjh.jpg

Thuren Adjustable track bar

Iko7RPch.jpg

Dynatrac ball joints - yeah those ones

Ended up getting a KORE level kit and fox shocks. New coils and fox shockers
jjcp3tph.jpg

fKUhKaCh.jpg

Fox steering stabilizer too, cause why not

Not pictured, Redhead steering gear box + KORE rear overload mini-leaf pack
Next installment - The install pictures.

ericvs

The install - part 2 of 2.

Took us 3 solid days to do everything off the ground. Maybe should have gotten a 4-post lift too.

hVt6hI4h.jpg

UEa5Gumh.jpg

Drivers side axle

Passenger side axle

Luckily, a friend had this sweet hydraulic press-a-majigger so the ball joints were actually pretty easy. This was the part I thought would be the worst, but this baby made it a 'breeze'

mmmmm!

I did the unit bearings since we were in there anyway and I still had the stock one in there. The crown nut needed something like 260lbs-ft, so we had to use this torque multiplier to get it. Also, please note the Osha approved flip-flop coverall combo. HA!

Front done, moving onto the rear. I ran out of time and didn't get any photos of the mini-leaf pack install, but it went much better than expected.

Also decided to do a CAI at the same time as well. I went with the S&B dry filter. We will see how it hold up. Sounds nice!

Boom done! time for a refreshment and an alignment (also, please note the FG Fuso in the background. it is good to have friends who know how to do stuff!

Overall, while it took a really long time, it went pretty smoothly. No snapped bolts, most of the bolts came loose without too much struggle and I only forgot to re-install one part in the correct sequence, but it was a minor part (speed sensor wire bracket) so we just make a small mod to the bracket and it worked out great. Very pleased with how it went and the steering feels better than new!

Last edited:

ericvs

That should tighten up the front end nicely.(y)
What was your reasoning behind going with Kore?

Kore had the coils, shocks, sway bar lower blocks all in one kit. Made my life a bit easier and any of the questions I had they answered straight away (even my dumb ones), so that made me feel good about the purchase. I was buying so much stuff all at once that the list was getting overly complicated and long and I was worried I was going to miss something. Getting this kit removed a lot of single line items from my list, which helped me a bunch. It also got lots of good reviews and people seemed happy with their purchase. I was very happy with the install and the instructions were on-point. I am also very happy with the ride quality after having been on it for a couple weeks.

chet6.7

Explorer
You have done a heck of a job. Are the Kore springs harder/softer/same as stock?
Glad to see you posting again.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking install Ericvs. It looks like you everything done in one go. You are going to love those Fox shocks. Nice work. Cheers, Chilli.

ericvs

Do you get a lot of wind noise with that Front runner rack on your cab?
When i first installed it, I didn't have the wind fairing installed yet and it was super loud. Once I installed the little wind deflector under the rack, it completely silenced it. No extra noise from that rack now. Don't notice it at all up there.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
Thanks for the information cause Thursday the rack arrives and I was going to try install it with out those wind deflectors underneath. FYI front runner said they are currently prototyping a wind fairing for there slimline 2 racks.

ericvs

Thanks for the information cause Thursday the rack arrives and I was going to try install it with out those wind deflectors underneath. FYI front runner said they are currently prototyping a wind fairing for there slimline 2 racks.
It could work without the wind deflector, but mine sure didn't haha. The wind deflector is small and you barely notice it visually. Def. noticed it in practice however. Might be worth installing the rack without and taking it out for a rip to see. It was easy to install the fairing after the rack was already installed. Interesting about the new wind fairing. Any ideas what it will look like?

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
Like others have said, I can't believe I've missed this thread till now. I love my 06 ram and love what you've done with yours. Mine being a long bed meant that turn key options like this aren't abundant which is one reason I went with my custom bed rack. As I've used it over the past few years I find myself looking for the next best solution to issues like security, weather, accessibility, etc. and something like this would definitely solve some of those. Thanks for getting those gears turning.

Earlier in the thread and in the video linked at some point you mentioned that the material is 3/8" aluminum. That seems insanely thick even for not having an internal structure. Did you ever figure out what the tray canopy weighs? I assume the flatbed is steel? Is all the material of the canopy that thick or just the walls?

Still one of the best parts of this thread is that you're using this setup to the fullest. For that, I applaud you. Keep up the posts and pictures, we all enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan