Post Pics of your Defender

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
HDM said:
Nope, a different pack playing on the playa.... (June 2008; Alvord Desert, SE Oregon)

(Note, none of these photos were teken by me - if they had been, they'd be out of focus and poorly framed. Fortunately, we had excellent photographers in the group!)

That poor guy in the disco on the end had to sleep on the ground, what a shame.:D

Nice picture. I can imagine those mountains behind thousands of years ago with glaciers feeding a lake which you are now driving on. It'll probably be a lake again in another thousand years. Cool shot

HDM

Observer
The "guy in the disco" slept on a cot under the stars - more comfortable than our roof tents, much less cost, and a fraction of the set-up time. (Well, truth be told, 25-30 knots winds blasted him with sand one night and mozzies might have been an issue a few nights...other than that, he was happy as a clam.) His Disco was totally stock, too; more importantly, it went everywhere we went without a whimper - definately a reminder to me that driver skill is far more important than equipment mods. Oh, and his a/c worked...something I only dream about.

Again, wish I could take cred for the pics but I can't...the same shots from my camera looked like poo.

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
nickw said:
Nice rig, are those 235/85R16's your running on your 110?

It looks like one of the pics shows a Mog, was that a support vehicle or a competitor?

That are BFG MT255/85R16 and that blue Mog is a Hellgeth Unimog that is running assistance in the Transsyberia Rallye 2008 and 2009.

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi, I am back again. After crashing my Toughbook I had some hard time getting all my logins back together ...

Here are some images of the 90 that I setup and build for Team "JoeVito" who are competing in this years Transsyberia Rallye.

1153120.jpg

1153119.jpg

1153118.jpg

I will have a few more images later if you like.

My "Rhino Lady" will undergo some major workover in the coming months as we have just officially announced our entry in the Transsyberia Rallye 2009 with the "Defender Transsyberia Rallye Team" powered by Wild Rhino Racing :rally_guys:

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Hey, hey, I was only poking fun at the proliferation of rooftop tents. I used to be RTT owner myself until I sold it because it was just too heavy and cumbersome. As for the Disco, I made no comment about the disco being inferior. Although, now that you mention it. I am leaving tomorrow on a trip to the Sierra's and I am taking mt Defender with carburated V8 and computer. I'm taking the Defender because I no longer trust my Disco on long trips. But you are right the Disco is a trail worthy truck and much more comfy than the Defender.

HDM said:
The "guy in the disco" slept on a cot under the stars - more comfortable than our roof tents, much less cost, and a fraction of the set-up time. (Well, truth be told, 25-30 knots winds blasted him with sand one night and mozzies might have been an issue a few nights...other than that, he was happy as a clam.) His Disco was totally stock, too; more importantly, it went everywhere we went without a whimper - definately a reminder to me that driver skill is far more important than equipment mods. Oh, and his a/c worked...something I only dream about.

Again, wish I could take cred for the pics but I can't...the same shots from my camera looked like poo.

PTSchram

kellymoe said:
I'm taking the Defender because I no longer trust my Disco on long trips. But you are right the Disco is a trail worthy truck and much more comfy than the Defender.

LOL, my Disco is flirting with 225K miles and still running strong. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross-country again.

It's all in how you prepare it/maintain it.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have 285k showing on the Defender. I admit I have ignored the Disco's maintenance since I bought the 130.

I stopped driving the Disco because I just enjoy driving the 130 so much. I'll be parting out my Disco at some point in the near future after I cannibalize it for parts for the 130.

The 130 has just performed flawless. I took it to Death Valley last month during a heat spell. Temps in the Saline Valley where we went reached 126. The 130's temp never got hot. Here's a lint to the trip http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16121

PTSchram said:
LOL, my Disco is flirting with 225K miles and still running strong. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross-country again.

It's all in how you prepare it/maintain it.

Godlykepower

Here's mine. 1995 Defender 300TDi. Custom built full length Intercooler. Tuned turbo & fuel pressure. De Carbon gas dampers on standard HD springs.
Various other bits & bobs.....its a never-ending process! Hope you like.

2 days after I got it. Let the spending begin.
View attachment 21101

1 week after I got it. Learning what these things can do.
View attachment 21102

4000 mile trip across the Alps. Verdun gorge, Southern France.
View attachment 21103

Lazy Sunday afternoon.
View attachment 21104

Martin

PTSchram

kellymoe said:
I'll be parting out my Disco at some point in the near future after I cannibalize it for parts for the 130.

Just make sure you get the wiring harness, ECU and intake manifold assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:

gjackson

FRGS
Kevb, that is a very nice Defender! If you happen to be coming by Denver, and would like a beer, let me know!

cheers

revor

Explorer
gjackson said:
Kevb, that is a very nice Defender! If you happen to be coming by Denver, and would like a beer, let me know!

cheers

Beer? Here on the front range? Who knew?

kevb

Observer
gjackson said:

cheers

Hiya Graham, they have beer there? that would be cool thanks for the invite.
We cant leave Phoenix until Friday PM (g/f on a course) and will be heading up through Canyonlands into Moab over the weekend. I will give you a pm if we manage to get to your area.

p.s. Thanks for the kind comments on the Defender, I only got this one a few months ago when it was just a rough old farm truck, now its just a rough old farm truck with some expensive bolt ons. My other 90, now thats nice!
DSC_0224.jpg

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Ha! I believe you were heading to Sedona on Sunday afternoon, about 2ish?

I'm the right hand drive Toyota Troopy that waived at ya'.

:safari-rig:

Cheers!

-H-:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998