Metal Masher.
IMG_0451.jpg

GOD I WANT TO GO BACK!!!
IMG_0021.jpg

White rim road.
IMG_1224.jpg

Gilbert MN.
IMG_0094.jpg

On my B-Day met up with Dad near his house in Maine for the Jeep jamboree.

This is the thickest mud I have ever tried to get through. Not one rig made it with out the winch or the strap.
IMG_2595.jpg

Eye of the whale arch.
IMG_0839.jpg

Dad's CJ.
IMG_3118_1.jpg

Mt. Antero.
IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

Bongo Boy

Observer
Opinion.

Folks put some pretty weird stuff on their rigs, and I'm not excluding myself from that group. Stuff that looks great, and conveys the image of 'overland' or 'expedition' or whatever.

But your own personal experience, limited or otherwise, needs to come into play when outfitting a rig. Now, my experience is extremely limited. Compared to other members here who have travelled thousands of miles into remote areas of the world, I know exactly jack squat.

But...this is the internet, and I have an opinion. Many opinions, actually.

The TJ is a little, tiny vehicle with a fairly low fuel capacity relative to fuel consumption. Uh, I think that means 'short range'. It don't go too far. So, you can put a $1,000 fuel tank in to increase range by about 25% or so, or you can hang IEDs off the back (jerry cans) to get about the same increase. Ugly, but effective, I guess.

But to me, outfitting the TJ for expedition has got to be a real art, and what I don't see is much artistry. I see cargo trays up on the top--with never any means of accessing that tray by any means I can imagine. I see all kinds of crap loaded out on the back--but no comments about how much those racks vibrate on trail, nor any comment about how long those racks last under those conditions.

I see a lot of 'display' gear. As a person in above-average fitness but over 50 years old--have you ever tried to get an 85 lb spare tire down off the top of a vehicle? Have you actually DONE this? I'm almost one year out now from a finger injury from getting my spare off the back of the rig...not even off the top. The finger still hurts!

I'm ramlbing and don't know how to recover. I see a lot of crap on TJs, and to me it doesn't seem well thought out, very efficient, nor very practical. It looks good, but that's about it. I think it's a tough rig to make into much more than a short range plaything, and I'd be very, very interested in the views of folks who feel they've succeeded in making it more than that. I love my TJ Rubicon, but its limited space has to be used very efficiently, and I don't want to unload 1000 lbs of crap to get to my toolbox, if you get my meaning.

I think, in general, the Wrangler community may spend more time selecting D-ring color than figuring out what's needed to repair a tire. Bringing the discipline and pain of expedition to the short-wheelbase community may be quite a learning experience for everyone.

Last edited:

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Well.. I did 12,000 miles in my LJ this summer, probably about 3000 or so off pavement. They way I had things packed changed entirely from the way it was when I left. I ended up with essential supplies and spare parts in the Jeep with me. That consisted of... Some food, Plenty of water, the engles, recovery gear, first aid, Spare Axles, Driveshafts, Unit bearings, Ujoints, and tools there was also a small ground tent and my sleeping bag. Everything else stayed in the trailer. Main food supply, cooking supplies, clothing, genorator, Overland tent, Mountain bike, Bulky items etc.

The rig itself is equipped with On board air, Hot water shower, dual batteries, 2 engle fridges, snorkel, lockers front and rear, 35" tires, Long arm suspension, Wilderness Rack on the back (Which never made a peep the entire trip.) I was on the road for 3 months give or take. I had to stop for food supplies every 2 weeks or so. The rig got me everywhere I could have wanted to go and alot of those places pulling a trailer. The only real breakage I encountered was a wrecked factory rubicon locker in moab. The only thing I would do differently would be to run some sort of all terrain tires because I did spend a lot of time on highways and the hum started to get to me after a while. (Nothin earplugs and a good stereo couldn't fix :rockon: ) also the Thule bike rack I use was never designed to go 40 mph down a washboard road and that became apparent early on in the trip. It never failed completely but that mountain bike sure did swing around a lot! Otherwise I was absolutely thrilled with the performance of the whole setup.

Now for fuel capacity... We are in America! There is a gas station at least every 100 miles. A few times, poor planning on my part left me on the side of a dirt road using one of my Jerry cans, but for the most part the only time I REALLY needed extra fuel capacity was when I ran the White rim road while pulling a trailer. I put every drop of extra fuel I had with me in the main tank and I still had 1/4 tank left when I got to the fill station just outside of canyon lands NP. If I were thinking of going to the outback or run the paris Dakkar, or even some of the more remote places in Canada. I would tend to agree with you about range. But here in the lower 48 I don't think it is as much of a concern.

Now that I am back on the east cost there really isn't any wide open space like out west. Mostly it is off-road parks and such so I have made some further modifications to the rig that really have diminished it's street ability, but has opened new doors as to where I can go with my rig. And I recently acquired an old Comanche to fill that expedition void. I will be building that up over the next year or so to run another similar trip down the road.

So to answer your question, I think that an LJ and even a TJ with expert packing skills can be a very capable expedition vehicle. Sure there is other vehicles out there that would be better suited to the task but they are lacking in other places. For me I wouldn't have any other vehicle than a Jeep (Maybe a Uni-Mog). The whole time leading up to this trip I had it in mind to really make an all purpose vehicle, and I think it was a great success.

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Bongo Boy, are you saying you feel constrained by your Jeep to take short trips because you don't feel there is any way to fit enough stuff ?

I agree there is limited space but then again any vehicle runs into the same issue once you adjust into the space you have, or the old rule of you adjust to fill your space with crap.

Rules of Jeep travel -
Make of list of what you take, during you trip mark all things that you use, and what you think you missed taking. Next trip don't take the things you did not use. When doing this on a regular basis you become very efficient at selection of junk. I know many people that go bob tail for a week at a time.

If this method does not provide what you need for your outing, get a trailer. They don't limit your travel in reality. Sometimes they make it more effort, like Dusy where you may be doing a little winching...... Once again pack only what you need. It is possible to practice pack your vehicle as each time you do it you get better at it and fine that it is amazing what will fit and where.

------

Tire carriers, this appears to be a bit of a bug bear with a few people. There are carriers that don't rattle!!! There are also lay down carriers if you find you tire is too heavy. A Jerry can as an explosive device.... mmm you know that empty they are more dangerous. What is going on at the back off your Jeep that they may be explosive ??? :1888fbbd:

BTW it's not just Jeeps that hang tires and jerry cans out the back. I would rather have them outside than in the vehicle. With my trailer and external rack I can carry 6 fuel Jerry cans and 30 gallons of water with none inside the Jeep. If 50 gallons of gas will not get me to the next top up I am in trouble. There is also a risk when all our fuel is in one storage tank and it leaks. It is true that the cans can wear after time but then inspection is part of this game, if it needs to be replaced it's up to you to spend the coin or go without.

In the back of my Jeep I have an internal rack, under which two boxes slide in which can be removed one at a time, or I have my large tuffy draw. I find the use of plastic storage boxes make a huge difference to allow the efficient packing of the Jeep. This teared arrangement provides much more access as do the boxes.

Don't forget the heavy stuff goes lowest in the vehicle. I myself am not a big fan of roof racks as they do provide too much temptation to load them up with gear and impact the center of gravity. As above with the list, the less used something is the less unaccessible it should be. This can also include tools, create two separate tool kits one for those special tools and one that is for the often used tools. Special goes at the bottom, if you need them the issue is no longer unpacking the rig !!

I am not sure over the comment on display gear ??? I think many Jeep people like all 4x4 people like to add accessories, but there is also a lot of practical use for most. Then again my wrangler is for the places that I would not take my WK Cherokee. Use the correct tool for the job, I would not try and take my hybrid across the Rubicon but not think twice with the wrangler, but a trip to the shop it not for the jeep unless you are a mall crawler.

I agree that in standard form that range can be an issue, hence the jerry cans. For longer trips I take my trailer with my off road house, fuel, water, bed and food. I also have tendency now and again to do solo vehicle trips, that means being sure that you can get there and back.

So in the end it is what you want to make of it just like your job or where you live, if you don't like it, change it or don't cry to me. (figurative comment not intended as insulting BTW)

Lastly I wanted a Diesel 110 Defender in the US and ended up with a Jeep. It has been places I would never taken the Defender.

LJRockstar - cool looking combo dude !!! How do you find the nitto's ? I have not heard too much good press on them from owners, what is your take ?

tnxjlimited

Heres one of my jeeps.

2000 XJ limited
leather
RE 5.5 suspension
4:10 gearing
HP dana 30 front
8.25 HD lsd w/ disk brakes
warn rockers
K&N
160,000 miles

photo.php

photo.php

sizedjeepmono.txt

sizedjeepbike.txt

Last edited:

TheMike

Adventurer
I too started building my Jeep primairly for the rocks and am leaning more toward the expdition thing. Granted I will still do my fair share of the rocks, priorities are changing a bit. Ultimately I would like to combine the two since the gear and such can be safely carried and kept along for most of everything!

BTW: Thank God for the LJ. I wouldn't consider what I am planning in the near future if I didn't have the longer version of the TJ. The truth be told, I am kind of wishing I would have waited for a year for the new 4 door JK (only a Rubicon will do!). It's still a PITA to get things in and out (like a 4 year old kid) of the back seat when it's there. There are pros and cons of having the bigger JK even though I am extrememly pleased with my LJ Rubi!

IMG_2002.jpg

HPIM0425.jpg

HPIM1099.jpg

Last edited:

gpwpat

Adventurer
Here are a couple of my jeeps.

621-3-2005_398.jpg

621-3-2005_388.jpg

DSC05010.JPG

DSC05006.JPG

Both jeeps are stock for now. The GPW is staying stock. the rubicon is waiting for a roof rack, and new bumpers.
DSC05152.JPG

DSC05148.JPG

Man I just can't get over how great the wwii jeep looks. Just looking at the pictures makes me want to go home and drive it. I would really love to trailer the WWII jeep to a great jeep destination like canyonlands.

I am thinking the Rubicon needs a Kargomaster Congo cage with an ARB roof rack cage on top.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
MAN THAT GPW IS SWEET!!!! I am just getting started on a 52 M38 if it looks half that good when I'm done I will be thrilled!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior