Post picture of your GPS setup

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
If you're going to look at the Dual, also take a look at the Garmin GLO. Fast Bluetooth connect, a couple of seconds. Fast, less than 10 seconds, and accurate satellite lock using both the U.S. and Russian GPS systems so more satellites to get data from. Smaller footprint on your dash. Good battery life and also works while charging.

Funny you should mention that... was looking at the Garmin online only a few days ago. Thanks for the heads up.

Berglid

Adventurer
Well since I started this thread I guess I have to upload some pictures.

In my car I have mount for ipad, garmin gps 720, ram laptop universal stand, BGAN Explorer 325 satelite phone and internett and a Icom 7000. I dont have pictures of everything here, but I can show you some old pictures
gps.jpg

radiokonsoll.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
In our pré runner Jk , Garmin 278 @ drivers side & Montana & Tripy road book editor ,on co drivers side
View attachment 203652

In the back up Man truck , toughbook cf 19 with TTQV @ co drivers side.
View attachment 203653

What software do you run on the toughbook? I am seriously considering setting one up for use in the truck. I recently bought a refurb for $400 off ebay for use by my techs in the shop as an experiment/alternative to less rugged laptops - amazed at how well those things run and getting 6-8 hours battery life easy out of them. It's crazy that you can get that good a PC for such a low price.

Bretthn

Explorer
iPad mini

I have not used mine yet but I have and iPad mini mounted to the dash with the use of Ram mounts. For anyone that has not used them before, they are actually aluminum arms and ball mounts with rubber ball. Before I got mine I had always assumed they were just composite plastic. They are built extremely well.
I made sure that nothing is in the path of the passenger airbag and reinforced the mounting point with a metal plate behind the dash. My iPad is wifi only so I ordered a Bad Elf GPS PRO that should be here tomorrow. I will probably use GAIA GPS, and MotionX GPS apps. I am also looking at installing the Garmin USA or Tom Tom turn by turn app for on road navigation so I can get rid of my little Garmin Nuvi. For anyone else using the Bad Elf Pro, where do you keep or mount yours in the vehicle?
Here are the pictures since that is all anyone cares about.

For on road use i use Garmin mobile Pc. For off road I preffer using Garmin N route when using Osm maps.

To use digital topo maps or aerial pics I use TTQV.

Grts

Bretthn

Explorer
So I got a few more pieces for my setup this evening. The Bad Elf Pro is awesome. I was picking up 9 satellites sitting in my living room.
It allows up to 5 devices to be connected for GPS signal via bluetooth. I also got some more Ram Mounts pieces so I can mount my iPhone above the iPad.
I need to due some reading but I think the best feature about the Bad Elf will be it's ability to store tracks without the iPad so they can be uploaded to a map later. This will be nice fore the vehicle but especially for mountain biking and hiking. I've still got to figure out a simple mount or storage spot for it in the vehicle.

Bretthn

Explorer
Is bad elf for ipad only?

iPod, iPhone, and iPad. Their site says it can be paired to other Bluetooth devices but you need one of the above 3 to set it up.
I got to use the new setup on my 13 mile commute this morning and it seems like it is going to be a nice setup. I will post some more pictures of it in use.

Moving Chicane

Already Gone.
If you're going to look at the Dual, also take a look at the Garmin GLO. Fast Bluetooth connect, a couple of seconds. Fast, less than 10 seconds, and accurate satellite lock using both the U.S. and Russian GPS systems so more satellites to get data from. Smaller footprint on your dash. Good battery life and also works while charging.

These two options (the Dual and the GLO), and the Bad Elf, are for devices like the iPAD/Samsungs withOUT cellular ability (wi-fi models only that don't have a GPS system); or are they designed to enhance those devices that already have the GPS system? Or both?

I'm confusing myself with all these options....... :)

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
These two options (the Dual and the GLO), and the Bad Elf, are for devices like the iPAD/Samsungs withOUT cellular ability (wi-fi models only that don't have a GPS system); or are they designed to enhance those devices that already have the GPS system? Or both?

I'm confusing myself with all these options....... :)

both. I have used my GLO with my iPad Mini primarily (it is Wifi only) and I use it with my iPhone, as I have found it gives me more accurate, quicker location tracking.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: TomTom/Laptop

nightfighter003.jpg

2012-febshooting009.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The Bad Elf Pro is awesome. I was picking up 9 satellites sitting in my living room.
Although I use Garmins (both 'road' and an Oregon 450), the stand along units like the Bad Elf can be handy.
I use one on my search dog (area) that is not real time reporting like the Garmin Astro series, but it gives me a downloadable track so I can compare her search area and mine, which is handy for both training and the real deal.
I can see this as a benefit in a vehicle also if you like to save an overall track of your trip. So as you are messing with (navigating) with your primary GPS, you are free to clear, change, reset it without losing your overall track. The amazing thing is this unit picks up quicker and more satellites then my Garmins.
-
Dog's GPS set-up (click to enlarge)
Tally-GPS.jpg

NetDep

Adventurer
Here is a iPad Mini with Retina display with a Bad Elf GPS unit plugged in. I am really liking the Bad Elf - note the Mini was in airplane mode demonstrating the lack of need for wi-fi/cell signal on the iPad. I like the Co-Pilot/TopoMap apps for the iPad. Still getting used to this setup. It is mounted in a ProClip USA mount and mounted in a 2011 Toyota Tacoma.

Thanks for all the ideas and great pics in this thread!!! Got most of what I am using from this forum!!

:)

Attachments

• GPS_Mini.jpg
    GPS_Mini.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 132

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger