Post Timing Belt and Water pump Job, Engine is louder

freewayross

Adventurer
Hi all, just got done replacing timing belt, water pump and valve cover gaskets on 98 Montero. Haven't put the belts on yet, but wanted to check so started it. Everything looks good except engine sounds louder at idle than before.

I checked EGR pipe, it was loose to valve cover so tightened that and started it again but the sound didn't go. The sound is metallic.

Any clues or tips?

Thanks

RyanY

Adventurer
Use a mechanic's stethoscope to try to pinpoint the area that the noise is coming from, which should give you a pretty good idea of what's making the noise. Alternatively, you can use a long screwdriver, touching one end against various surfaces on the engine and the other end against your ear. Being careful of the moving parts should go without saying.

Just thinking out loud - did you make sure you have the updated crank pulley bolt and is it torqued to the updated torque spec?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The belts aren't on yet? I would think that would change everything. The amount of drag introduced by the belts has to be significant.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
This may sound slightly stupid. But when ever doing a full service like that, I have noticed a significant amount of engine noise since the block has drained most all of its coolant out. Once the engine block has coolant back in it, it seems to go back to normal. Might be worth a shot.

freewayross

Adventurer
Thanks guys these suggestions seems to have worked, the sound suppressed when we put everything belts, radiator, coolant. Thanks for your help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998