Post up your drawer/storage system

JamesDowning

Explorer
That is exactly why I now carry the majority of my recovery equipment in cases on top of the drawers instead of inside the drawers.

I had also kept my jump starter in that drawer until recently. My battery died due to leaving a switch on (since fixed). I went to unlock the rear hatch, and my rear hatch only opens if there is power. Uh oh. So that was when I started rethinking my cargo layout so I wouldn't get stuck again.

RgrBox

Adventurer
I used ot pile up all of my camping equipment on top of my recovery equipment.. big mistake.. I had to unload the truck one night just to get out my shovel in the snow..
RB

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I noticed a couple of pics of my build out on here already but wanted to post up a link to the build if anyone was interested. This is in a Toyota 80 series:http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/136736-another-perspective-rear-storage.html

4-08017.jpg

4-08019.jpg

4-08020.jpg

Last edited:

firemansxterra

Adventurer
Steve...that is a slick looking setup...I am looking to do mine almost the exact same. I didn't check your link the build yet, but what did you cover that with?

irish_11

Explorer
Steve...that is a slick looking setup...I am looking to do mine almost the exact same. I didn't check your link the build yet, but what did you cover that with?

Its a good link. I'm going to have to steal part of that design. Its coated in line-x, which is a great idea.

nugget

Observer
Nugget: Looks amazing :wings: Do you have any other pictures of the 50L water tank and pump setup? Did you make the tank yourself or purchase it?

Bought it off the shelf with the pump included. I designed the cargo barrier to be the same angle so it sits nice and snug.

watertank.jpg

topshelf1.jpg

Then I plumbed it to the back for water on tap.

watertap1.jpg

watertap.jpg

I am about to do a small mod on it by adding a sight glass on the side so I have a beter idea of how the water consumption is going.

Our swag sits on the top shelf.

topshelfswag.jpg

So when we are camping our setup is like this.

le30.jpg

Last edited:

jisa897

Observer
Wow! Amazing work! Congrats to all.

I was wondering how helpful these storage solutions are? Do they add a lot of weight? Don't they actually take up some space / leave some blind spots or empty spaces?

I am in the process of organising my Toyota Landcruiser and would like to be convinced about these home-made storage platforms and drawers before going forward. Many thanks.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Exactly! WOW! Some of you guys have some serious talent and should maybe think of a career doing this full time!

I on the other hand do not have the equipment or the skills to build my own. I have also found that the home made ones (nothing intended) tend to loosen up and not hold up well after many miles on the trails. They also tend to be much heavier than commercially made ones.

So I bought the African Outback ones. The ones I got where made for a Disco II but fit near perfect in my 73 series and now my 77 series. I custom rebuilt the top portion to fit my interior and the rest is history. Absolutely love them. Weigh in at around 80lbs and are stainless steel (no rusting). Sure makes trips easier when you can organize your gear, nothing floating around when you have a bumpy trail, and significantly easier to find stuff when you want it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18525

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    677 KB · Views: 1,336
Last edited:

RgrBox

Adventurer
Biggest problem I have is finding the hardware. I even spoke to my German Bro-in-law, and he is a Eng. and makes tools at his factory, and he couldn't find me 1 meter long heavey duty drawer slides..

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Here's my storage system in the Disco:

lastet_bak_disco.jpg

Sorry about the Norwegian captions. I'll explain:

The shelves and walls are made out of 12 mm plywood. The walls have cutouts to save weight. Behind the cooler there's a wall to stiffen the construction sideways. Most of the center of this wall is cut out. The construction is both screwed and glued.

What you can see is and off-brand aluminium box, a couple of standard Euro-size industrial crates, a Norwegian military water can, chairs and tables and the cooler on a home-made slideout. The drawer slides go out about half a metre, just enough that the cooler lid can be opened.

It's been field tested this summer on a 6000 km trip through Europe and around the Pyrenees. Approx 500 km on bad road and trails. Nothing broke, and no squeaks or rattles developed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan