Post up your drawer/storage system

Xterabl

Adventurer
Nice, jeepin idaho.
Can you share details on the hardware for your sturdy fold-down platform...the one you sit on in the video?
That is pretty impressive, and I'd like to set up something similar.

jeepin_idaho

Adventurer
Thanks! It's this type of hinge from Lowe's. $8ish each.

uploadfromtaptalk1373237295953.jpg
And actually the one I went with has the triangle mounting on both sides. Then I used 3/4" " x 5/16" stainless steel bolts and T-nuts. The t-nuts turned out to be a great idea because they have plenty of threads to grab and they don't take up any room past the surface of the wood. Just torque the bolts enough that the t-nuts countersink themselves. I highly recommend using them.

I used some rope as the limiting strap and that might actually change. I considered chain but that would be too noisy. Cable is probably the better option but the rope is completely silent and so far it has worked well. Once the rope starts to stretch I can easily adjust or replace.

Dan
http://the4x4podcast.com

Last edited:

jeepin_idaho

Adventurer
I should mention that added a piece of angle iron to the edge of the tailgate to give it done real rigidness on the edge opposite the hinge.

That also doors a good job of hiding any imperfections :D in the edge of the wood that I cut freehand since I don't have a table saw (yet).

Dan
http://the4x4podcast.com

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Justin the beginning stages... Ideas welcome!

Posted from my build thread...
After patiently searching craigslist for months now, I located a used bedslide locally that should work perfectly as the base for the next phase of the interior build-out of my van.
Here are some shots of it just sitting in the back. I will need to weld on some mountings tabs that can utilize the stock seat bracket bolts, but that will be a snap.
Closed
null_zps52a83308.jpg

First stop
null_zps8789453f.jpg

null_zpsb550021b.jpg

Full extension
null_zps1874ae50.jpg

null_zps9999af52.jpg

null_zpsea89077e.jpg

It is a super tight squeeze with the doors stops attached. I will eventually get the newer version of the door stop that extends all the way open. However, with the doors at 90 degrees, the slide out at the first notch, and an awning, I think it would make a nice shelter from wind when prepping food and such.
I am welcoming ideas at this point. I would like to have a removable upper sleeping deck with some drawers and space for cargo bins below. The upper deck will not be higher than the rear window sill. I would like all the camping systems to be removable with the upper platform, leaving the lower deck for day to day use.
Thx for looking, Brad.

ab1985

Explorer
Working on storage for my 80. I'll post more pics when I'm done. I decided to go with metal instead of wood this time around. Metal is far more forgiving IMO. If you don't know how to weld I would consider picking up beginner gear and using a storage platform as a first project. By the time you're done you'll be ready to tackle bumpers, sliders, etc...

Build thread is here and pics are below.

Laying everything out:

EmilysBirthday042_zpsf9b00f7f.jpg

Tacking the base:

LandCruiser001_zps1a1d4969.jpg

Coming together:

LandCruiser003_zps4f7f4c75.jpg

In the truck:

LandCruiser004_zpsb0e30c2e.jpg

Close enough:

LandCruiser007_zps8e14a5ce.jpg

That'll do:

LandCruiser009_zps39e7034c.jpg

LandCruiser011_zps4dbefe42.jpg

Rearranging things:

LandCruiser001_zps7df4b33f.jpg

LandCruiser002_zps05569e65.jpg

Tight fit:

LandCruiser003_zps2090dec6.jpg

LandCruiser004_zpsac8ce559.jpg

LandCruiser008_zpsedab9e7c.jpg

LandCruiser009_zpsd2942561.jpg

Xterabl

Adventurer
Looking forward to see how your exo-skeleton storage module works out...especially with the built-in water system, etc.
But...
Your fridge slides...
You're not really going to mount them sidewayzzzzzz, are you???

ab1985

Explorer
You're not really going to mount them sidewayzzzzzz, are you???
I think undermount slides would be fine while traveling, but I'm unsure about strength loss when extended. I have an idea for side mounts that are internal to the platform and don't result in wasted space on the sides.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Mounting them flat is only feasible if there's. Minimum weight on them such as a cutting board.

Agreed. I installed a simple cutting board using flat mounted slides and wound up needing 400lb slides to reduce unwanted flex down to a minimum. I'd guess that a slides rating is reduced to something approaching 25% of it's rated capacity when installed in a flat configuration.

5emubygy.jpg

usu2e7en.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Still deciding on the fate of my drawer system, but in the meantime I've quickly put together a drop-down table for my rear door. Works brilliantly using a piano hinge and factory mounting points (from the plastic cargo pockets that were once there.) For support I'm using a monopod, which I can easily lower and raise to get the table level. Makes for a great, convenient camp kitchen setup. While I wouldn't sit on it, it is strong enough to hold the camp stove and other items.

troopertable2.jpg

After using the table on a recent camping trip, I had the brainstorm to add an extension. Using C-channel I already had when building the drawers and the first generation tables (picture in this thread on page 51, post 502. The table top was stowed under storage drawers via C-channel. I pulled them out and used the monopod for support. I liked the idea, but the working height was a bit too low and they weren't as functional as I had hoped) Using the aluminum C-channel at the end of the table-top extension, I mounted it backwards so it would mate with the tailgate table. I drilled holes through the aluminum channel and table and am using cotter pins to securely connect the two pieces, and again, a monopod at the far end for support.

trooper table (1 of 1).jpg

This setup will, I hope, give me ample room for things like a prep area/cutting board, dish washing, etc ... with an easy to setup and breakdown kit. I need to finish the wood but haven't decided if I should skin it with metal (most likely), or use a waterproof wood finish. I have a Kirkhams awning that works perfectly to cover the rear of the Trooper and provide a covered place to cook, sit, eat if I need to be out of the elements.

_IGP4762.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater