Post up your drawer/storage system

Blain

Adventurer
Yep, Quickfists are holding the shotgun. They work, but I would like something made more specifically for a gun.
The barrier is vehicle specific. I got it from Springtail Solutions; they have a lot of really cool stuff. Mainly just for FJ's and Jeeps. They have recently expanded into Yukon/Tahoe application as well. I don't want to get in trouble for posting a link to a non supporting vender, but if you Google them you will find more info.

Thank you.

Cool thanks! Great set up too btw!

Darth Tater

I am not a carpenter, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Let me start out by saying I am not a woodworker, I am an engineer. With that being said, I am new to the forum, but wanted to give a little back, after seeing all the great systems that people have built. They inspired me to get off my but and build something for the back of my truck.
I have a Tacoma with the double cab and the short bed. I mean real short. Like 60 inches short. Makes off roading easy, since there is not a lot of wheelbase. Makes camping in the back hard, because it is short. And narrow. I built a platform for the back that is 56" wide and 59" long so me and the missus would be able to sleep back there, since I am planning on going to Moab, Utah in May for a Tacoma owners meet. This will make it so much easier to both transport the stuff we need, and have some decent storage. The bottom doesn't go all the way across, since the tacoma trucks have two storage bins in the walls of the bed, behind the fender wells, not to mention a 110V, 400W outlet on the passenger side. Now to the pics:IMG_0231.JPGIMG_0233.JPGIMG_0234.JPGIMG_0235.JPG
Before you ask, it is 3/4" plywood, and the carpet was a 6X8 rug at Lowe's home improvement store. Including hardware I was out less than $100 US. The lights are from Sam's club, and run on AA batteries. The switch is mounted by the tailgate, and both lights, plus switch are less than $30 before tax. Everything is wireless. All lights of this brand use the same frequency, so you could buy a couple of more lights, and bolt them to the ceiling, and use the same switch to run all of them. I know it could use some improvement, but I am just learning.
Darth

Last edited:

Darth Tater

Polaris has a mount that is pretty slick. It mounts to the luggage rack of an ATV. Rubber coated to protect the finish on the weapon, and uses rubber straps to hold on the weapon. Might want to look into it, might be useful.
Darth

K2ZJ

Explorer
If my life depended on getting to that shotgun, I will most likely lose it. It is not the best place for accessibility, having to open the rear door, reach over the box, undo the quick fists and grab the gun. Not to mention the FJ's rear door isn't the most accessible to start with. By the time I turned around to use it I would most likely be dead, heck if my life was in immediate danger I would be luckily to get the rear door open. However, with the limited room I have left in the FJ it is up out of the way and it is difficult to see with the tinted windows. Not to mention it looks bad ***.
The shotgun is currently not in the FJ and honestly will not be 99% of the time. It's my home defense gun, well one of my home defense guns, and spends most of its time close to my bed. It will be stored on the rack when I go out camping or ghost town/mine hunting, never know when you might run into a ghost. :ar15:

I was going to ask that question as well. Can you mount it on the other side of the cage so it is accessible from the front?

mountain mike

I was going to ask that question as well. Can you mount it on the other side of the cage so it is accessible from the front?

I could mount it inside, not a bad idea. Not sure the wife would like that too much, but I can try and find out. She is a little lary about having a gun in the FJ to start with.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
In the Cabela's catalog, there is a rifle/shotgun mount that mounts to the ceiling above the seats. That way it keeps it out of sight to the casual passer-bye yet keeps it accessible in the time of need

762X39

Explorer
I could mount it inside, not a bad idea. Not sure the wife would like that too much, but I can try and find out. She is a little lary about having a gun in the FJ to start with.
Ok, so am I the only person that isn't concerned about the shotgun being mounted on the back side of the cage. If I needed to do something while I am in the drivers seat, a truck driven full bore into the problem has to be more effective than 1 1/8 ounces.:coffee:

Patman

Explorer
Ok, so am I the only person that isn't concerned about the shotgun being mounted on the back side of the cage. If I needed to do something while I am in the drivers seat, a truck driven full bore into the problem has to be more effective than 1 1/8 ounces.:coffee:

But what about when the zombie masses come at you from the side?! ;-)

FishAll50

Catching the Dream
I have created various platform/storage configurations over the years from full-size trucks to Jeep CJ's, from dedicated kitchen boxes to just putting stuff in bags and always come back to the KISS method. So when I built the platform for my F250, the goal was to keep it light, easily removed, easily modified but functional. The platform simply consists of 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood for the platform covered with automotive carpet and supported by 2x4 construction using the OEM indentions in the bed for such 2x4 supports. I experimented with the necessity for supports other than perimeter and have found that with my wife, myself and the occasional pet for a combined weight of 350 lbs, it has been more than adequate. I did add a short piece of 2x6 on the tailgate end that can be easily put under the platform for additional support....more piece of mind than necessity and still gives me full width under the bed if/when needed - it is just a pressure fit, not fixed in place. In reality, the platform stays in place 99% of the time as it still allows full 4x8 sheets and other supplies to be carried for projects. For storage underneath, we use simple plastic containers - approx. 4' long - double hinged that can be pushed all the way under the platform and easily retrieved. This also allows for additional smaller containers up to 2' long to be stored in front of the longer boxes. The clear plastic containers in several years of use have proven to keep animals out, items protected from rain, dust, etc. and are easily removed/added depending on length of trip and subsequent items needed for the trip. The thing I found with dedicated camping/cooking boxes is that the items needed for a 2 month trip are often different from a 2 week or 2 day trip and quite often you are consuming more valuable space than actually necessary although there is undoubtedly situations where they excel. Again, KISS allows flexibility although I do find myself drooling over many of the dedicated boxes......must resist. :) I did add 2 access panels in the front although found I very seldom use these. Mostly items (tow straps, recovery equipment, etc) are stored in the front of the bed along with seldom used/needed items. YMMV. We recently went from camping pads on the platform to a full-size mattress with matress topper in conjunction with our double sized Kelty bag and have found it extremely comfortable - this past weekend, we camped in 25deg weather in absolute comfort.

SANY1513.JPGSANY1511.JPGSANY1519.JPGSANY1521.JPGSANY1523.JPGSANY1505.JPG

Last edited:

FishAll50

Catching the Dream
Thanks Pat - I have lurked for a while and have read your forums and posts and the wife and I have not only enjoyed them but been inspired by them. I'll be posting more about our truck build and upcoming travel plans. I can already tell you I will be picking your brain given you are another full-size Ford owner. :)

Roger

Forum Ninja

Big lurker, small poster
My current system in the back of my Mitsubishi Delica. Not quite finished, but pretty much there.

The chuck box section unclips so it can be lifted out to carry down to the beach, park bench, etc.

The other draw on the right is just a large storage draw.

20120107_183652bb.jpg

RichardT

Adventurer
My current system in the back of my Mitsubishi Delica. Not quite finished, but pretty much there.

The chuck box section unclips so it can be lifted out to carry down to the beach, park bench, etc.

The other draw on the right is just a large storage draw.

View attachment 81439

That looks clean, how does it unclip? Would it be possible to post up any pics showing the mechanism? Thanks :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78