Post up your drawer/storage system

snwbrdr852

Let me start out by saying I am not a woodworker, I am an engineer. With that being said, I am new to the forum, but wanted to give a little back, after seeing all the great systems that people have built. They inspired me to get off my but and build something for the back of my truck.
I have a Tacoma with the double cab and the short bed. I mean real short. Like 60 inches short. Makes off roading easy, since there is not a lot of wheelbase. Makes camping in the back hard, because it is short. And narrow. I built a platform for the back that is 56" wide and 59" long so me and the missus would be able to sleep back there, since I am planning on going to Moab, Utah in May for a Tacoma owners meet. This will make it so much easier to both transport the stuff we need, and have some decent storage. The bottom doesn't go all the way across, since the tacoma trucks have two storage bins in the walls of the bed, behind the fender wells, not to mention a 110V, 400W outlet on the passenger side. Now to the pics:View attachment 80588View attachment 80589View attachment 80590View attachment 80591
Before you ask, it is 3/4" plywood, and the carpet was a 6X8 rug at Lowe's home improvement store. Including hardware I was out less than $100 US. The lights are from Sam's club, and run on AA batteries. The switch is mounted by the tailgate, and both lights, plus switch are less than $30 before tax. Everything is wireless. All lights of this brand use the same frequency, so you could buy a couple of more lights, and bolt them to the ceiling, and use the same switch to run all of them. I know it could use some improvement, but I am just learning.
Darth

I don't suppose it would be possible for one person to sleep diagonally back there with it all closed up, would it? I'm planning on getting a Tacoma in the same configuration pretty soon here, and that's something I've been really curious about. Also, do you know what the height of the wheel wells inside the bed is? I don't even have the truck yet, but this thread has got me working on the design of the storage system/sleeping platform already, haha...

joneseyyy

Explorer
Here's my setup. I really admire the guys on here that have built their own to their exact needs. I don't have the tools, space, or skill to do what most of you guys have. I went with the ARB outback drawers and was inspired by their expo 4runner build. So far I am very pleased with the functionality, fit/finish, and durability of the drawers. They aren't custom but came with all kinds of spacers/hardware to make the install really clean. Big thanks to Jacque from TRDParts4u for hooking me up with these.

a418a492.jpg

2b60ad64.jpg

11f67e87.jpg

cffe52f1.jpg

Woodsman

Adventurer
I don't recall posting this in the past but here we go . . . I used to have very soft springs in my FJ and wanted a lightweight setup. I started with a platform using 3/4" veneer core plywood. The passenger side was beveled to slip under the factory subwoofer and the left side was scribed to fit on the driver's side shelf. I purchased two plastic totes from Global Industrial and spaced a support accordingly. The CO2 tank mount is bolted to the side of the vehicle and screwed down to the platform keeping it solid and rattle free. Global has a large selection of different types, colors and sizes of totes.

150.jpg

With plastic totes loaded and in place. The space to the right of the support hold my Viair 450A-P compressor, machete and tool bag.

148.jpg

The plastic totes work great as they can easily be pulled out like drawers (partially extended) and when needed they can be pulled out to leave at home.

149.jpg

bat

Explorer
"The Woodcutter" I like it is simple and clean and gets the job done and no bulky extra weight.

RepairmanSki

Observer
That looks clean, how does it unclip? Would it be possible to post up any pics showing the mechanism? Thanks :)

Check out the bottom of the "chuck box" there are two cam buckles holding it down to the flat of the drawer body. I would presume a hook/footman type arrangement on the other side.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Ok, so am I the only person that isn't concerned about the shotgun being mounted on the back side of the cage. If I needed to do something while I am in the drivers seat, a truck driven full bore into the problem has to be more effective than 1 1/8 ounces.:coffee:

Nope. I'm not either.

IMG_8986.jpg

I guess I should post my simple system for storage. It's all a work in progress but has been this way for about two years now.

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

IMG_8972.jpg

IMG_8973.jpg

IMG_8974.jpg

IMG_8975.jpg

IMG_8976.jpg

IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8981.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

And what it looks like closed up:

IMG_8988.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, bad lighting and I was in a hurry.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
edlaffoon, Of all the custom built boxes with all the time put into them, I think you win the award for most simple, yet easy to get to everything.

It's the equivalent of a Bug Out Bag for your truck! I'm stealing some of those ideas! :costumed-smiley-007

Forum Ninja

Big lurker, small poster
That looks clean, how does it unclip? Would it be possible to post up any pics showing the mechanism? Thanks :)

Cheers for the comments, here are a few more pics.

The clips at the bottom hold it in place, along with another on the back which clips to the box unit behind it (which holds the gas canister.

There's a fitted gas hose which runs between the two, but I've also got a spare hose, so when I unclip the chuck box, I can just unscrew the gas cansiter and take that with me too. The recess in the back box is for the handle of the chuck box.

Cheers

20120118_230758.jpg

20120118_230850.jpg

20120118_230906.jpg

ccarm

Adventurer
edlaffoon. I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with your system. The thing that I like the most about it is that everything is "dummy proof". Anyone can go to the back and grab the right bag without thinking twice about which one it is. Where did you get the nametags for all of your bags?

And I think that it's safe to say that I'll be stealing some of your ideas as well!! :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78