Post up your drawer/storage system

Magnus

Observer
Made a sleeping platform/storage solution this weekend.

My RTT is too small for the four of us so two have to sleep in the car, and we still need four seats. So I made a sliding platform on top of the drawers. It slides right over the folded rear seats and fridge. I plan to keep the "in car mattress" in the roof tent in the daytime.

ety5usa3.jpg

sara9ytu.jpg

One drawer is wider than the other and the front is removable. A large plug in the bottom covers a hole so I can reach the spare tire winch on my D3.

zyjyhaqe.jpg

guzy7ade.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Magnus

Observer
Thanks!
It is actually loose and not attached. The bottom part have four small wheels on the sides that it runs on. The platform have two wheels in front that runs on the back of the folded seats. I was thinking of using drawer slides but this was easier and cheaper...

oradba69

Observer
Looks great. Also planning for my LR4 and also thought about going the different drawer widths for the spare wheel access.
Have you got a permanent socket on the lowering nut?

Magnus

Observer
Thank you, yes I placed a socket on the nut. And keep a ratchet extender and ratchet in the car. My car is a five seater so it has a lid/board in the back, I removed it first of course, no need for that underneath the drawers.

I hung a string with a heavy object in the end to locate the right position for the hole. Taped the string to the ceiling and then placed the drawer construction in position so I could mark where to drill.
y3adevab.jpg
a8ymynub.jpg

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Not the Prettiest

Well some of these are absolutely gorgeous! The one I made is quite heavy (my rear springs are too stiff so its a good thing) and very utilitarian
I guess you could say. I don't have cool latches or handles but it works quite well. Some of these photos are terrible quality so bear with me.
pathfinderdrawerCADD.jpg
That was the idea.
pathfinderdrawer5.jpg
Getting somewhere
pathfinderdrawer6.jpg
Almost finished
iphone photos 301.jpg
This was the idea, but it now holds the shovel and an axe up top there. Ill have to take one tomorrow of the latches and whats in the drawers
but that is the jist of it. It has tie down tracks running down it as well.
Cheers

I'll call this 95% done :)

Still need to finish the wiring, decide if I want to stain it or paint it and then put a bunch of stuff in it!

Built in two halves with the intent that DS will stay in all the time and house electronics. Right side will be removable if we want to use 3rd row seat. Three switches for camping light, inverter and possible fridge. Aux fuse panel on the driver side behind the OEM subwoofer cover. DS is 26" deep drawer, lock-out 100# slides with two 8" subs firing towards the backseat. PS is full 40" deep drawer with the super heavy duty 250# slides, dadoes for dividers and a tabletop that will sit in the open drawer.

yhahyju6.jpg

aperebes.jpg

The dado dividers and the drawer table top are a great idea! You have to stain this, covering up all of that wonderful work with paint would be a sin. Your interior appears to be gray. Might I suggest a colored stain such as Miniwax Express Color in "onyx"?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Here is my drawer system I built for the bed of my Tacoma DC short bed. It's not as fancy as some on here, but I'm very happy with how it came out considering my limited skills and tools.

The drawer system is built out of 1/4" plywood and 1x8 and 1x6 pine boards. I painted it with Rustoleum Topside Marine paint for durability and weather protection. I used indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's to line the drawers and the top. I used angled aluminum to line the front and rear edges. I chose not to use roller slides for simplicity and mostly laziness and cost. On the front edge are some plastic drawer sliders to help out with friction when pulling in and out. The box is held in with cam-buckles on slide-lock type mounts in the bed.

In the metal bed box is the more "fragile" stuff. In here I keep my aux battery, compressor, and fuse block, along with some tools and spare parts.

I keep my recovery gear in a small duffle that goes in one of the drawers when not camping. When camping, cooking gear and other misc supplies go in the drawers and the recovery gear moves to the bed box.

14167771443_65f825c6ae_b.jpg

13961077970_6a3a93fdcb_b.jpg

13961045559_04273531aa_b.jpg

13961029217_a1650e7825_b.jpg

13961043029_04c9ae5b69_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears