Post up your drawer/storage system

rayra

Expedition Leader
nothing weird about mass appeal. Common pickup, simple affordable design within the skill range of anybody that can handle power hand tools. The super stylish, expensive, fetishist-level custom builds showcased here are the exception. And exceptional.
It's like looking at some of the mega-structures on GarageJournal.com. Things most people will never have / build. Interesting to look at and borrow ideas from. Or aspire to.

otis24

Observer
What I mean is why that truck in particular and not all the other fantastic bed drawer designs? It's just something I'm a little curious about.

Maxcustody

Explorer
After reviewing and reading this thread SEVERAL times.................I think I will keep researching and wait for my final plan. I have made hasty decisions in the past (patience is something I lack) and not been happy with the outcome, only to later spend more money on something better or a fix to the issue. I love all the custom designs and would love to do something like them in my jeep. However, some in the end after several tries say, "I should have just bought a drawer system from ____________" Things to consider; cost obviously, weight, materials, amount of space to work with??? My search continues................

rayra

Expedition Leader
What I mean is why that truck in particular and not all the other fantastic bed drawer designs? It's just something I'm a little curious about.

I was attempting to speak directly to that question / point. A well used truck and a basic build without high costs or high-end components is certainly more in line with most folks' vehicles and budget. It's accessible and readily achievable. And thus has wide appeal. Most folks don't have the skills or the disposable income to produce some of these marvelous builds seen here.

otis24

Observer
I was attempting to speak directly to that question / point. A well used truck and a basic build without high costs or high-end components is certainly more in line with most folks' vehicles and budget. It's accessible and readily achievable. And thus has wide appeal. Most folks don't have the skills or the disposable income to produce some of these marvelous builds seen here.

Nevermind, we're just going in circles.

otis24

Observer
(shrug) Thought I was speaking directly to your question, twice.

No worries man. Your answer was fine, both times even! I think the answer I was looking for was that drawer system was originally posted on Reddit and went sorta viral from there. Had been posted elsewhere like this forum or Tacomaworld for example I wonder if it would be showing up in the mainstream so much. I guess it was a kind of off topic question.

Back to drawer systems!

I'm about 2 months away from beginning my drawer system. I'm really looking forward to it. I have a pretty good idea of what materials, draw slides and lay out are going to be. One thing I've been debating with myself is weather or not to carpet or not to carpet. If I don't carpet I'm going to finish the wood nicely. I'm thinking some kind of sealant/vanish type stuff. I don't know jack about wood working so any advice on finishing would be appreciated.

TomOwen

Observer
My $.02, the steel square tube/ sealed bearings set up is very cool! Great for strength and distance.

As for carpet,I would/did. Softer to move around on. Easier for keeping little bits from rolling away especially when not parked level... Marine grade carpet was to install and can look very good... Again, just my $.02

otis24

Observer
My $.02, the steel square tube/ sealed bearings set up is very cool! Great for strength and distance.

As for carpet,I would/did. Softer to move around on. Easier for keeping little bits from rolling away especially when not parked level... Marine grade carpet was to install and can look very good... Again, just my $.02

Didn't think about stuff rolling off. Excellent point. I bet it's quieter as well.

Carpet it is!

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you've got dogs they'll have a lot better traction on carpet. I was taken with the idea of a rich wood laminate as a storage platform topper, except my dogs really won't dig it. Will likely use indoor / outdoor carpet. Short nap, easier to clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78