Post your backpacking loadout/gear list!

Caoboy

Adventurer
Searched and couldn't find anything specifically to backpacking gear lists. Personally, I'm still putting together a weekend type pack.

Day packs, weekenders, year long treks, what do YOU pack?

Caoboy

Adventurer
My gear list (so far)

Pack: Kelty Redwing 3100

Tent: Coleman 2 person tent (split between my brother and me)

Sleeping pad: Therm-a-Rest Ridgerest solar sleeping pad, equinox lashing straps for the pad/tent poles(rolled up in the pad)

Sleeping Bag: Sirius (no name/woot.com summer bag) that packs down to about a football size, and an extra fleece throw blanket in case it gets a bit colder.

Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket and 8oz fuel canister

Cookware: Light My Fire spork (plastic)
Debating on purchasing a kettle or a pot to boil water in, given that a pot can be used to cook in where a kettle cannot.

Gatorade or powerade bottle for mixing drinks in.

Water filter: planning on purchasing the Sawyer squeeze filter and bag setup. Lighter, less parts to break, etc.

Small first aid kit. consists of a triangle bandage, popsicle stick, gauze, tape, small shears, bandaids, inhaler, tylenol, excedrin, glow stick, emergency blanket, I may be forgetting some things.

Toiletries

Mini multitool

flint+magnesium

emergency whistle with light anywhere matches, lint, tiny knife, compass and signal mirror

Kelty rain jacket.

I'll update this later, as I need to go back to work.

I will list my load out later but for water filtering if you are going to be relying on it as a water source and not just a backup then I would recommend either the Sawyer Mini or Squeeze and set up your own gravity fed system with a water bladder as holding up a bottle/bag and squeezing it through manually gets very old very quickly.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Osprey Hornet 42 Ultralight backpack
Sea To Summit Spark 40 degree sleeping bag
Thermarest NeoAir Xlite reg sleeping pad
Clikstand stove, or Windboiler MSR stove
Terra Nova Laser Comp tent, or MSR Hubba NX, sometimes an MSR EC Bivy.
Steripen filter or Platy Gravity filter.

My total pack weight for a very comfortable 2-3 night walk, or bikepack, seldom tips 20 pounds with water and food. That's in temps down to above freezing.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

My total pack weight for a very comfortable 2-3 night walk, or bikepack, seldom tips 20 pounds with water and food. That's in temps down to above freezing.

We never took tents all the years back packing. Just a large tarp large enough to lay on then fold over and make a temporary lean too type set up. Only place I would probably carry a tent would be desert camping where you have creepy crawly stuff that bite or sting etc. Even in bad mosquito situations we would just hide in our sleeping bags and then get the heck out of there the next morning. Not sure I would want to carry ie pack a tent for Sierra type back packing never needed one.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I need to shed some weight. I am more like 30lbs. for 3 nights.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I need to shed some weight. I am more like 30lbs. for 3 nights.
I can get down right feathery light when I bikepack, effectively with backpacking gear.

If I use a 3/4 NeoAir Xlite pad, my MSR EC bivy, either my Spark sleeping bag or Phantom 32 bag, Clikstand Ti stove, Steripen, GoreTex jacket and pants from Gore Apparel, one headlamp, gloves, base layer and food for 5 days, that's usually in the ballpark of 15-16 pounds without water.

shadow61

Observer
osprey exos 58 pack, western mountianeering sleeping bag, MSR pocketrocket stove, sawyer squeeze water filter, GSI soloist cookset with bowl and spoon removed, long titanium spoon, MSR hubba nx tent or ENO doublenest hammock and pro fly tarp , with food for 5 days and water i'm at 28 lbs. heading out last week of april / first week of may to do 200 miles on the AT from springer mtn Ga to Clingmans Dome in the smokey Mtns

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We never took tents all the years back packing. Just a large tarp large enough to lay on then fold over and make a temporary lean too type set up. Only place I would probably carry a tent would be desert camping where you have creepy crawly stuff that bite or sting etc. Even in bad mosquito situations we would just hide in our sleeping bags and then get the heck out of there the next morning. Not sure I would want to carry ie pack a tent for Sierra type back packing never needed one.
I was a tarp advocate for a while. I used a Moss Heptiwing for a while, but more than one trip proved that tents, particularly uber light tents, are pretty handy. My recent trip to Iceland once again nailed home the need for a tent with 45mph winds blowing horizontal rain and a landscape with nary a tree for dozens, if not hundreds, of miles.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Searched and couldn't find anything specifically to backpacking gear lists. Personally, I'm still putting together a weekend type pack.

Day packs, weekenders, year long treks, what do YOU pack?

I love anything out doors and have a gear fetish. It kind of depends what I'm doing. Typically if I'm riding my dual sport in the boonies or out in the Jeep for a day trip or hiking a day trip I'll bring my smaller back pack. It has a water bladder and Sawyer filter, SOL Escape Bivy, Warbonnet Silyny tarp and some snacks. Also, first aid stuff, two types of fire starters, a knife, some para 550, compass, small note pad, headlamp/batteries, Spot personal beacon and I usually bring a paper map and my GPS also. Usually I study an area before I go so if I become stranded I'll have a few choices of directions to travel. My back up plan is always being prepared to leave on foot or survive long enough for someone to find me. If I'm back packing or moto camping then I'll add ENO Jungle hammock or Mountain Hardware back packing tent, Jetboil, food/snacks, REI 20 degree bag, proper clothes to stay warm for the climate, sleeping pad, 5x7 tarp with reflective liner (I use it as a foot print for my tent or hammock if used in bivy mode and SOS if needed), maybe a few tools or items pertinent to my activity, a pistol depending where I am or if alone...thats about it. Of course I have a internal frame pack for longer hauls or load my crap up on my dual sport if I'm riding. I guess I could always go into detail on my first aid kit and all the randoms I carry but I won't bore everyone with that. I will mention I also bring a few comfort items while back packing like Sea to Summit silyny 2 gallon bucket, small pack towel, crap to clean my cook ware, Sea to Summit aluminum fork/spoon/knife set, pocket multitool (Leatherman or Gerber type), camera sometimes, ENO twilights for the tent/hammock (batteries last all weekend and friggn AWESOME for changing or doing just about anything at night), I usually carry a small locking folder (I get Big 5 specials and they are my sacrificial tools) make sure to get a decent one that won't end up injuring you, plus I carry a full tang fixed blade for actually doing work. I'm kind of weird with my knives. I maintain them well but I like my little crappy folders incase they get lost or I need to do something that will undoubtedly ruin the blade like digging around in the dirt or rocks...what else...? Thermarest pillow sometimes? Extra clothes? Sun screen? Small solar charger? I love bringing a good beanie and neck gator for hiking and sleeping. Flask with liquor? lol Oh, sometimes I sleep like crap when I'm back packing (I'm a light sleeper) so I bring Benadryl and take two little pink pills before bed. Works like a charm. I'll have to take some pics and weigh some stuff, sounds like a lot but I can head out on a over nighter or two packed pretty nicely. Now I'm just ranting...

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
Arc Teryx Khyber 50 pack

- Snow Peak Ti stove (2 gas canisters)
- Snow Peak Titanium pot
- Snow Peak Titanium fork and spoon set
- Dish Soap
- Camp towell
- MSR Hyperflow filter
- (2) 1 liter Nalgene bottles
- MSR Hubba Bubba 2 person tent
- Tarp ( footprint )
- Therma Rest Neo Air
- Therma Rest camp pillow
- Coleman Sleeping Bag
- Mini Fire starter logs
- 2 lighters
- Camp matches
- Magnesium stick
- Spare batteries
- Small trowel
- First aid kit
- One change of clothes season appropriate clothes
- 2 Pairs of socks
- 2 Pair underwear
- Rain gear ( Arc Teryx Beta shell )
- Toiletries
- Spare ziplock bags
- Surefire EB1 backup light
- Benchmade 810 Contego
- BRKT Bravo 1 fixed blade knife
- Paracord
- Compas
- Maps of area
- Glock 19 and one spare mag.

The cheap Coleman bag will be replaced this year as it takes up too much room. I'm also going to be adding a 6 liter MSR Platty Bladder to fill up for cooking at night If there is a source of water close by. For food I buy lots of beef jerky, tuna packets, velveta shells and cheese, instant grits, instant oatmeal and peanut butter. All of those items can be cooked by simply using boiling water.

This year I will also be replacing the Glock 19 with a Smith and Wesson 627. I feel an 8 shot 357 Magnum is a more appropriate woods gun to handle a wider variety of situations than a 9mm auto. The lack of maintenance that is needed on a stainless steel revolver is also very appealing.

This pack I use for trips that range from 2 Days to 5. For day trips I have a little Kelty MAP 3500 that I throw whatever I think I'll need for the day in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998