Post your Camp Awnings

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Handles the wind quite well, perfect for two people.

Nice spot. I won't name it, but my guess is that you'll recognize the location in this pic, too.

Picture072-sm.jpg

And, since this is an awning thread, (albeit an old one), here's my "stay in one place" awning and kitchen setup: a 12X12 conduit-framed rig. I stake it down with ratcheting tie-downs at all four corners, and then X-brace the internal sides of the walls. It survives 30 mph Baja winds just fine.

Xmas_2009461.jpg

Last edited:

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Great pic joaquin!

Thanks. I really like central Baja.

I don't think I emphasized the ratcheting tie-down straps enough. It was an idea my brother had, and I was resistant at first, but now I'm convinced. They are easily visible at night, and getting tension on them is super easy. Combined with really big tent stakes (12" lag screws), they hold up against strong winds, and make setup much less stressful.

SunMan

Adventurer
Nice spot. I won't name it, but my guess is that you'll recognize the location in this pic, too.

Xmas_2009461.jpg

Orale! ;)

That last pic was taken over X-Mas and New Years wasn't it? I remember your set up. I was camped up above you guys and remember chatting with the guy on the far right about your set up and the super high tide that moved in. It blew like stink on NYE.

EPIC trip. Small world.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Orale! ;)

That last pic was taken over X-Mas and New Years wasn't it? I remember your set up. I was camped up above you guys and remember chatting with the guy on the far right about your set up and the super high tide that moved in. It blew like stink on NYE.

EPIC trip. Small world.

That guy on the far right would be me! I was eyeballing your avatar, to see if you were the one camped on the ridge up there, but I couldn't be sure.

I'm not sure what you mean by EPIC. I thought the conditions were pretty marginal.....

Xmas_2009342.jpg

:Wow1:

But to keep this thread on topic, here's the awning it replaced, a Caravan-brand EZ-up type gig in 10x10. By the time you add all the bracing, it doesn't set up that much faster than the conduit awnings, and it's not as sturdy. Still, it lasted 6 years of winter trips plus regular duty at racetracks in the US.

Picture066-sm.jpg

Note the astro turf. Essential for camping on the beach if you're going to be in one place: a bucket of sea water, and you can stay grit-free.

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
I give another vote for the Hanibal awnings. No poles or ropes & very quick to set up.
I have a 2.4M model of the side with walls & a custom one of the rear with walls for the shower area.

Cheers
David

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 380

BajaRunner

Bandito
Yeah, your'e right...I can be a bit overzealous sometimes.

Hey you guys stop posting those pix :p

Whats funny is I was just North of you guys at the same time.

Sunman I think I talked to you on the nomad forum.

You guys don't happen to know Rodrigo do you? The guy that used to live there.

SunMan

Adventurer
Hey you guys stop posting those pix :p

Whats funny is I was just North of you guys at the same time.

Sunman I think I talked to you on the nomad forum.

You guys don't happen to know Rodrigo do you? The guy that used to live there.

Most likely Bajarunner, i think i recall that.

Don't know Rodrigo.

TOTHEHILLS

ARB Touring 8' mounted to Northstar tc650...

Attachments

• PICT1068.JPG
    PICT1068.JPG
    684.7 KB · Views: 241
  • PICT1017.JPG
    PICT1017.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 209
  • PICT1112.JPG
    PICT1112.JPG
    687 KB · Views: 182

Forum statistics

Threads