post your Suburban pics

Scrib

Observer
1989 Burban - "the beginning"

1989-chevy-suburban.jpg

I picked-up this 89k mile 1989 Burban in Livermore, CA last month. It's bone stock (including the 2-inch rearend sag), but I freshened the engine up and it breezed through California's smog test. We've now relocated to Oregon and I am getting started on upgrading the drivetrain with a 14-bolt rear, and an ARB in the front 10-bolt. Once the drivetrain is sorted, including leveling-up the rearend, it's off to the bodyshop for a makeover.

oldestof11

Observer
Could I add my new-to-me Burb?

The only thing I don't like is the cherrybomb exhaust. Sounds great but too loud for my tastes. The wheels are Gear Alloy and 285/55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

01, 8.1L LT with 139k miles

Suburban003_zps12109d45.jpg

Suburban002_zps6f9ab2a2.jpg

Suburban001_zps613327a4.jpg

kfgk14

Adventurer
View attachment 134991

I picked-up this 89k mile 1989 Burban in Livermore, CA last month. It's bone stock (including the 2-inch rearend sag), but I freshened the engine up and it breezed through California's smog test. We've now relocated to Oregon and I am getting started on upgrading the drivetrain with a 14-bolt rear, and an ARB in the front 10-bolt. Once the drivetrain is sorted, including leveling-up the rearend, it's off to the bodyshop for a makeover.

Is it really worth it to put the ARB into a 10 bolt? seems like the axle will break far before the locker will really be of any worth. Maybe put a D44 under instead?

Nice rig overall, very clean for the age. Wish they came like that up here!

bftank

Explorer
dana 44 isn't any stronger than a 10 bolt. axle shafts are terribly weak in both of these axles. if your wheeling involves needing a locker step up to a 60.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
hikingff77 thanks I loved my Suburban one of the best trucks i've owned.

Scrib what do you plan to do with your truck?

Just curious why the swap to a 14 bolt rear.
I put 100,000 + hard on & off-road miles on my truck with zero Diff or Axle problems.
I put 4.56 gears & an Eaton Posi with the Heavy Duty Clutch Spring Kit in the rear for Towing purposes & 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's. With the Upgrades to the 700R4 & 241c T-Case it drove Fantastic.

Sorry for the Hijack!

Scrib enjoy the Burb

swamp_beast

guess ill add my old girl to the mix its a 1976 gmc k25 running a 454 th400 and np205 turning a detroit locked 14 bt and d44 with 4.11 gears its riding on a 4 inch tc lift and 35x14.50 micky thompson baja tires
the beast 017.jpgthe beast 022.jpgthe beast 032.jpgthe beast 042.jpg

Last edited:

Scrib

Observer
Oh shoot, well I guess I should update mine :smiley_drive:

suburban-sway-connected.jpg

I did end up going with a 60 in the front with an ARB, along with the 14BFF and Detroit in the back. Those are LT285/75R17 Toyo A/T II's. The lift is 3" front / 4" rear, Tuff Country HD springs (because this is getting bumpers and winches) with a host of beefy ORD hardware. Hopefully I'll get it into the body shop this month (okay, maybe after tax day!) - the black is going to go.

Brian - I'm just a sucker for beefy hardware, so my plan from the get-go was a solid base of 1-ton running gear to support the rest of the build. I was originally going to keep the 10-bolt to keep costs under control, but the Dana 60 was $750 on Craigslist and well, you know what happens when you start looking at things as a "minor" cost delta :)

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
Sold mine yesterday, this is the last I saw of it...

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

It was a love/hate relationship, but now I can move forward with my F250 build.

Kaisen

Explorer
My 8.1L Burb

LT285/70R17D Kumho AT KL78 tires
17x8.5 Hummer H2 Alcoa Edition (forged) wheels

Otherwise bone stock

web 2012-08-10 14.41.46.jpg

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
I don't want to post pic's of my '03 8.1 LT 'burb because the guy who owned it before me liked shiny things that are useless off road. Maybe soon when I have money to get it all fixed lol.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I don't want to post pic's of my '03 8.1 LT 'burb because the guy who owned it before me liked shiny things that are useless off road. Maybe soon when I have money to get it all fixed lol.

Just go and paint in the word "DELETE" over all the bling!:sombrero:

danno676

New member and first post (this site is AwEsOmE!!)
Here's mine from when I first bought it a couple of years ago:
1990 V1500, I'm the second owner and it just turned 130k. The first owner was 70 years old and did all the mods as a beach vehicle for Nags Head NC. He broke his back and couldn't get in and out any more...along came me.
6 inch lift,
4.56 gearing
front and rear lockers
35 BFG A/T's
onboard air
axle trusses and skid plates front and rear
ladder bars
drive shaft loops

Future mods include 14 bolt FF rear, 8 lug front brake upgrade. I bought a parts burb, 2500 2wd with a 454 to transplant into mine and some minor interior pieces that are in better shape. I also plan on some sort of drawer system that I saw on this site for some light camping with the fam. with a mattress in back.
I have since removed the tacky fender flairs and added 1.5" spacers to the rear for a better look and manual locking front hubs.

2011-12-21_16-40-41_172.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman