post your Suburban pics

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:Budget! I love your pics and your `Burb´ Lets see you post more from your adventures and your fine rig! Tell me, do you know anything about thebig military truck in your pic?:ylsmoke::ylsmoke:

Budgetoverland

That big military truck is for sale!! And there are a lot more where that came from. It's off of I84 in Idaho there is a place that sells them I had to stop in on my way out exploring. I think the place is in fruit land, ID! I'll take some pics of the sleeping platform soon, I'm out of the house for the next two days but maybe I can grab some tomorrow morning. Also I just figured out how to use tapatalk so posting pics should be a lot easier.

Renntag

Adventurer
in case you are like me and like a lot of pictures!
1986 1/2 ton with 3/4 ton axles 4inch lift and 315/75-16
built out with sleeping platform queen bed sleeps 2 humans and 2 dogs!
everything has cost me about $5,000

Dig the pictures ! Love the green. Nice job !
What paint did you use? Flat or low sheen?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks like Dept of Interior / BLM / Border Patrol green to me. Like to know more about the white roof too.

Renntag

Adventurer
Looks like Dept of Interior / BLM / Border Patrol green to me. Like to know more about the white roof too.
Would a paint supplier know what this colour is?
As for the roof, are you curious if it is more than just a straight forward white? Maybe something heat/radiation reflective?

Chili

Explorer
Going through my phone and have a couple I figured I'd share. 2005 Z71, 1" rear spring spacers, leveling keys, Ranch Hand bumpers. Overall nothing special but it gets the job done. Over 160k miles and still purrs like a kitten.

31b6390fba2d1f5ec265e286347bd230.jpg

bdfa371bcb273ce9a779ac6539a3afd3.jpg

c0dfc52d3b26d2f5b4e64703ff2a32d5.jpg

Budgetoverland

8fdda4d1ef3e1d3b3b9dcced1a744aec.jpg
d5249c0d140408307f820c66a598dccb.jpg

Took out the back seats. That way I can fit all my food water camping gear under where the dogs sleep. Then in the back is a bunch more under bed storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Budgetoverland

Dig the pictures ! Love the green. Nice job !
What paint did you use? Flat or low sheen?

It is actually just satin jade spray paint!
Cheap cheap! And the roof paint is just plain old high gloss weight in a can that I used a roller to put on! The name of the game is budget! The paint was inspired by the old forest service rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Going through my phone and have a couple I figured I'd share. 2005 Z71, 1" rear spring spacers, leveling keys, Ranch Hand bumpers. Overall nothing special but it gets the job done. Over 160k miles and still purrs like a kitten.

31b6390fba2d1f5ec265e286347bd230.jpg
Nicely done. That is pretty much the "vision" that I have for what I want to build (need to sell my 4runner first but it will be up for sale this week.)
What keys and spacers did you go with, and what size tires are you running? Those look like stock 16" wheels, yes? (So much the better for cheaper tires.)
Where was that picture taken? Alpine Loop (Cinnamon/Engineer Pass?)

Chili

Explorer
Nicely done. That is pretty much the "vision" that I have for what I want to build (need to sell my 4runner first but it will be up for sale this week.)
What keys and spacers did you go with, and what size tires are you running? Those look like stock 16" wheels, yes? (So much the better for cheaper tires.)
Where was that picture taken? Alpine Loop (Cinnamon/Engineer Pass?)

Thanks! I am pretty happy with it, and really value the extra space of the Suburban over the Tahoe, sacrificing some with the longer wheelbase and angles, of course.

I bought the Rough Country leveling kit. I will say, I am not a big fan of the shocks.. The first 6-12 months they were fine, but after that they started feeling like the old worn shocks they replaced. If I were doing it again I would probably just buy the keys and spacers separately, and some better shocks. : http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-270n2.html

I should have known better, as I also had a Rough Country 4" lift kit on my old Bronco, and had the same issue with the shocks. The basic shocks they include are pretty crappy. This was my old Bronco with the 4" lift and 33's:

563361_4441417916575_859516409_n.jpg

556439_4441418636593_1774212672_n.jpg

These are the stock Z71 wheels, which are 17" (by 8" I believe). I am running 285/70's (a tad under 33") where stock is 265/70. The tires I have are pretty reasonable in price, and I am generally happy with them. They are wearing a little faster than I would like, but I wouldn't say out of the ordinary. These are what I have: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...pc=11959&ar=70&rf=true&rd=17&rc=TCNINT&cs=285

I will say that they perform way better than the BFG AT's I had before these. Particularly on the rockier sections of the loop when wet. I had some very noticeable traction issues with the BFG's, partly due to the open differentials, but these Hankooks have alleviated that concern. I have had zero traction issues since getting these (of course I'm not doing hardcore trails or anything).

And yes, that was taken at Engineer Pass back in late July. Good call!

This was what the Suburban looked like when I bought it:

529432_3770511095784_1851826932_n.jpg

I destroyed the front and rear bumpers a couple days after this shot, up in Hurricane Basin, which is what prompted me to put on teh Ranch Hands.. I would have liked a different front bumper, as it sticks out pretty far, but I love how much flat surface there is on both front and back.. I stand on them all the time (rear when reaching the roof rack, front when getting at something towards the rear of the engine bay).

Last edited:

VaOvrlnd1

Overland wannabe
Hey all! I already had the itch for a square body burban, however after looking through all these, its almost an obsession. I would like a 91 or older, anything in particular to look for or avoid when looking?

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Hey all! I already had the itch for a square body burban, however after looking through all these, its almost an obsession. I would like a 91 or older, anything in particular to look for or avoid when looking?

If you're looks no at a straight axle suburban, the newer the better IMO. 87-91 had TBI fuel injection, they didn't make a ton of power but it was an improvement over the carburetors. 90-91 suburbans came with 4L60E (1/2ton) and 4L80E (3/4ton) transmissions which are an improvement over the older TH700R4 and TH400s. Most of them came with NP241 transfer cases after 87 as well. It's an aluminum, chain driven case but it's got a good low range ratio (2.72:1) and its strong as long as you protect it.

A 90-91 3/4ton 4x4 is what I'd be looking for.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor

Just returned from a fly/drive from Sacramento, Ca to NC in a 135k mi '91 2500 4x4, averaged right at 18.4mpg at 65, all stock, never a hick up!! Not building a monster this go, decent tires, bumper/winch, etc and just enjoy the old girl...

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
If you're looks no at a straight axle suburban, the newer the better IMO. 87-91 had TBI fuel injection, they didn't make a ton of power but it was an improvement over the carburetors. 90-91 suburbans came with 4L60E (1/2ton) and 4L80E (3/4ton) transmissions which are an improvement over the older TH700R4 and TH400s. Most of them came with NP241 transfer cases after 87 as well. It's an aluminum, chain driven case but it's got a good low range ratio (2.72:1) and its strong as long as you protect it.

A 90-91 3/4ton 4x4 is what I'd be looking for.

My 91 Burban came with a 700r4. 1/2 ton GMC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears