Postponed.... The sequel to the Maya Rally 2012 -> The 2013 Alaska Rally!

Cody1771

Explorer
I have digital Topo maps for all of BC if anyone is intrested, not sure how i would share em though, theres a LOT of them

onetraveller

Adventurer
Looking forward to hearing more about this. Just a note for the planners. Most of Alaska was mapped during and shortly after world war II. The USGS topo maps really haven't been updated since then with some limited exceptions. You are much better off using Google Earth for route planning, coupled with the Milepost and local knowledge.

I'd be happy to help if possible, although my knowledge of local off-road trails is very limited.

Mike

beverly

null
I'm based in downtown Anchorage. If I'm back in town before this date, I'd be able to help out in certain things. Depending on work schedule of course. I could provide local Anchorage things, airport pick up/drop off, temporary truck/motorcycle storage or parking, etc. I have access to storage lots on the local military base that I could stash a couple vehicles in, free of charge. It would be lock and walk though, no camping out. I also have access to the on base auto work shop, where you can rent a "space" or lift and work on your vehicle for a very fair rate (something like $6/hour). I believe they have welders/tire changers/etc. Or if you just want to see where your tax dollars go and would like to see a modern fighter jet up close, I can provide that too for a small group of people.

I have a buddy riding a motorcyle up around this date, so it looks like a lot more people will be making the same trip. If I have a vehicle by then I'd love to join in on activities on the weekends. In my opinion, the solstice is neat but the week before and after are just as cool. It's still day light for a long long time, just no festival.

ROVER-1

Observer
Hey guys sorry I haven't had more input , but I'm still on the road from the maya rally...:)

I will be home in a week or so back in the PNW and headed back to Alaska.

I would offer my assistance and would be willing to offer up a guided tour for you Offroad guys.

I could organize a mild Offroad to an extreme Offroad tour.
Let me know what you guys want or need and when I get home put away the old Rover and get into the swing of things ill be happy to help out anyway I can.

Cheers Ed

This should not be missed.

I can be of assistance as well. Plenty of adventure for everyone up here!

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Something else I just thought of...

If the driving distance is a big concern (it is a long way), you could look into getting a ferry from Seattle to somewhere in AK for all the people and vehicles.
It's extremely beautiful and likely doesn't cost much more than the gas you'll burn driving the whole way.

That way you would all get to AK faster, and have more time to spend in the beautiful part doing actual activities.

If you want to look into this, I suggest you get cracking, those ferries book out many months in advance in summer.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

-Dan

Ferry is a great idea, but it AIN'T cheap! We are looking at going next year in our new Sprinter coach. Just yesterday I was looking at the ferry web site -- around $6K one-way from Bellingham, give or take depending on what kind of cabin, including transporting the coach. Ouch! OTOH, saves at least 3,000 miles of driving one-way from California. Takes a week from Bellingham by ship.

Cheaper with a smaller coach (ours is 25'), and cheaper still if you sleep on deck in a tent, or in their lounges, but still...plus I am now officially a senior citizen and thus too old to sleep in a chair every night for a week, or in a deck tent.:)

Even if we spent $1,500 on fuel and camping expenses driving, (figuring 15 mpg for the Sprinter and $5 diesel), that's still a lot of difference. Not thrilled with the additional mileage on the camper, though.

Cody1771

Explorer
there is another option for ferry, drive to Port Angeles on the north of the olympic peninsula OR to Vancouver and take the ferry to Vancouver Island, the ferry in PA goes to downtown VIctoria (worth seeing if you've never been here!) and is about $80 each way for a normal sized vehicle (over length and over height charges apply. google black ball ferry) or you can take a ferry from Tswasson (south of vancouver) to Victoria for the same price, or from west Vancouver to Naniamo (about 100km north of Victoria) for around the same price as well, it's a 5 to 8 hour drive to the north end of vancouver island on nice highways (once you get past naniamo at least).

there is a Ferry that goes from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, its not in alaska but a lot closer. North western BC. this ferry is not cheap but still cheaper than driving, around $1000 or so each way for a normal vehicle. i think for a motorcycle its like $600, anyways its an amazing boat ride and takes about 14 hours i think, state cabins are extra and you ARE NOT alloud to stay in your vehicle during the passage. BC ferries covers all the ferrys around here.

i would suggest taking the ferry to Victoria, it's a great city in the summer and i live here so i could potentially show people around! Vancouver is really nice to, just depends on what your looking todo. personally if it where me i would definatly opt for the ferry option, its a LONG haul from the border to Alaska.

Victoria to Port hardy is 497KM and 6 hours according to google. 309 miles

Prince Rupert to Alaska is 2500KM and 33 hours of driving. 1553 miles

so it doesnt save you a lot of MILES but definatly breaks up the trip into managble sections.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
sorry guys I am afraid we will need to postpone this to 2014. Too many things going on in our life and I won't have the time to properly organize it.

Cody1771

Explorer
sorry guys I am afraid we will need to postpone this to 2014. Too many things going on in our life and I won't have the time to properly organize it.

that's really to bad! but hopefully it will give people enough notice to get some planning done and you will likely have much more participants.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
that's really to bad! but hopefully it will give people enough notice to get some planning done and you will likely have much more participants.

yes. I am also toying with another idea for 2014, which would be a bit more ambitious.

For this year, it's too difficult. Persephone got accepted at Stanford for her doctorate in September and we have to plan our wedding in August, so there is just not enough time and money to do a good job to put this event together for July. We also want to go travel overseas before she starts school, as it will be very difficult after.

snowbear

Observer
Be great to have you come this way. When you get back to planning look us up. Us 'locals' can line you up with everything from mild to wild.

To all the 'windshield time' whiners, suck it up. We drove ( not ferried, sorry Ed ;-)) from Wasilla, in November, to the Maya Rally :)))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998