Power inverter

darjo242

Hey y'all....

Quick question for you, was wondering what all you might have done as far as wiring a power inverter into your Jeep?

I am looking at wiring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQ6HGQH/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28NICZR0UVCG&coliid=I2QRKJJTRCF2NK into my Jeep and thinking of placing it in the glove box. Was curious as to anyone's experience or thoughts on this? I mainly want to use it to power an iPad and a Garmin Glo while wheeling/exploring.

I have a 2012 JKU Sport

Last edited:

FEFF

You will get about 180 watts max from the cigarette outlet hooking a 1000 watt inverter to it. Running a positive wire to the battery is the only way to get the maximum rated wattage on these inverters you can run a short negative to chassis ground or back to the battery. The main issue with mounting in a enclosed area like the glove box with an inverter of that size would be heat. You would actually be better off staying DC and charging via usb and the cigarette adaptor or installing one of these https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-dual-usb-device-charger-high-output. I currently use a Wagan 400 watt inverter on a portable battery bank in my home for when the power goes out it can run my heating system (Toyotami oil miser) or when its warm out we have run the TV, cable box, router and modem.

darjo242

I was looking to hard wire it directly, thinking through my sPOD unit, so I can have a 2nd on/off switch, and not using a cigarette lighter adapter.

I have an 800watt inverter

I hard wired it under the passenger seat. I used plastic spacer to lift it above the carpet. I went form he battery through the fire wall of the jeep and then under the carpet I cut the carpet to get the wires in, I used a cheap set of jumper cables for the heavy gauge wire I think that it is like #2 gauge. I use that more than i have my winch. i can run small power tools . blow air mattresses for the kids while camping. I charge the batteries for my camera and lots of other things . I found the write up here on expedition partial a few years back so it might take some searching. Th only thing I regret is not going with a a more powerful inverter, Then I could have run my borsch jack hammer off it.

MOguy

Explorer
I hard wired it under the passenger seat. I used plastic spacer to lift it above the carpet. I went form he battery through the fire wall of the jeep and then under the carpet I cut the carpet to get the wires in, I used a cheap set of jumper cables for the heavy gauge wire I think that it is like #2 gauge. I use that more than i have my winch. i can run small power tools . blow air mattresses for the kids while camping. I charge the batteries for my camera and lots of other things . I found the write up here on expedition partial a few years back so it might take some searching. Th only thing I regret is not going with a a more powerful inverter, Then I could have run my borsch jack hammer off it.

I did almost the exact same thing but with a 400 watt, except I pulled the carpet out of the way. I installed mine many years ago and it still works just fine.

Bobzdar

Observer
I had one mounted under the dash on my tj and relocated the power switch and receptacles to the dash next to the rear defog switch on my tj. The receptacles were the same black as the dash and had nice rubber covers so looked factory and didn't take up any otherwise usable space. I think it was an 800w continuous,1500w peak so could power pretty much anything.

Zeep

Adventurer
Hey y'all....

Quick question for you, was wondering what all you might have done as far as wiring a power inverter into your Jeep?

I am looking at wiring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQ6HGQH/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28NICZR0UVCG&coliid=I2QRKJJTRCF2NK into my Jeep and thinking of placing it in the glove box. Was curious as to anyone's experience or thoughts on this? I mainly want to use it to power an iPad and a Garmin Glo while wheeling/exploring.

I have a 2012 JKU Sport

That inverter is over 12'' long. Are you sure that will fit in your glove box?

I Put a 400 watt behind the glove box in a 2007 JKU , I removed the factory switch on the inverter and wired it thru a switch on the dash . I mounted one plug below the dash and a second plug in the real cargo area .

darjo242

That inverter is over 12'' long. Are you sure that will fit in your glove box?

After looking around some, I think I am going to go with mounting it under the passenger seat or on the console to the right of the gear shift lever.

ramanraghav12

Infact I too did the same thing, but since I was Immature it went wrong and I got a good hit from my papa. I would recommend not to do unnecessary experiments on inverter or inverter batteries unless and until you are mature enough to understand. Thank You!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998